Cham seems to be gasping for air

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - I have a 3 1/2 month old veiled chameleon, hes a male, I have had him a little over a month
  • Handling - I have only held him twice, once was to clean his cage. I have just started trying to hand feed him with not much luck
  • Feeding - I feed crickets, I gutload them with sweet potatoes, carrots and hibiscus leaves mainly. Sometimes i add in some kale or other greens
  • Supplements - I dust with repti calcium without D3 daily and reptivite once every other week and calcium with D3 once monthly.
  • Watering - I mist 3-4 times daily. I also have a small water dish that I change daily that I have seen him drink from. I have also seen him drink from the leaves
  • Fecal Description - His fecal droppings look normal, dark firm poop and smaller white urate, sometimes with a tiny hint of orange at the ends of the urate but this is rare. I have not had him tested for parasites
  • History - I purchased him from flchams, a breeder in FL.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - He is in 18x18x36 screen cage that i purchased from the breeder
  • Lighting - I have a UVB flourescent fixture bulb and a 60 watt heat bulb. I have these lights on from 10-12 hrs a day
  • Temperature - The basking spot is usually around 82 and the bottom around 72. The lowest temp at night is about 68 degrees. I have a temperature and humidity gage in my cage
  • Humidity - Humidity ranges from 30-60 percent. I have a humidity cage on my cage and my air condition has a humidity gage as well. We live in FL so the humidity is rarely below 45
  • Plants - I have live plants, an umbrella plant and a hibiscus. I also have some fake vines and some fake leaves that I use for more coverage
  • Placement - My cage is on a desk in our office so there is not a lot of disturbance, I sit in here when Im working but that is about it. The cage is probably five and a half feet from the ground.
  • Location - Florida

Okay so I noticed this probably yesterday but I wasn't positive the sound came from my cham but today I watched him very closely and after he ate, he went to lay on his basking branch and I saw him take a huge breath in and made almost a gasping sound. It doesn't sound like a wheezing and there is no discharge or saliva coming from his mouth. I misted him immediately after hearing this and I haven't heard him again. He did this multiple times earlier today though before I actually saw him physically make the noise(before this I wasn't positive this noise was coming from my cham). His poop show that he is well hydrated and he is acting normally, eating tons of crickets and has been very active. I'm really worried. Is it possible he was just hot and thirsty? It was only 82 degrees after the top of the cage when I noticed this.

Vet gave me baytril but I am concerned as to what I did to cause this. Could there be bacteria growing on my live plants? He eats the hibiscus leaves but I washed it pretty thoroughly when I purchased it. I also usually clean out dead crickets and his poop within a day or two so I dont think his cage is particularly unclean. There are little gnat/fruit fly things in his enclosure. I live in FL and my vet said that is normal and not to worry about them.

You said he was just 3 1/2 months old... is he gaping to help his shedding? Chameleons will open their mouths like a yawn to stretch and loosen the skin on their head to get it off. At that age I would think he would be growing fast and shedding to keep up with growth. With all other things normal like, appetite, behavior, poops etc. I would not have suspected a bacterial infection as my first thought. Do you think he is ready for a shed?

My girlfriend just called me and said our Cham had repeatedly gasped multiple times. I just put up a free range for her near the window and it gets very hot there. But she always sits there. And my girlfriend said she had seen the Cham directly under the basking light, basically in the dome like an hour ago and now the Cham is gasping. Is too hit the issue?

Veiled Chameleons
Temperature: Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)

Your temps seem spot on.

Can you post a pic of your cham and your cham's enclosure?

Back
Top Bottom