Cham fell asleep on me

Kai_andMoss

My chameleon normally goes to sleep around 10, and I always make sure I’m not holding him or that he isn’t out of his cage around that time. But last night I wasn’t paying attention to the time and I have him in my hand. He crawled up on my shirt and fell asleep, I made sure to put him right back but I read that that would be very dangerous if your Cham falls asleep on you. Idk if it was because he was stressed or if he was just tired.

How much are you holding this chameleon? How old is it? They should not be treated like puppies 98% of their life should be in a properly set up enclosure. But to have them out with you while you are watching tv is not healthy for them. They can not regulate their temp and become over stimulated. Stressed out chams get sick easier because their immune system is lower. Chameleons already hide illness so by the time you visually see the signs it often is too late.

Absolutely what @Beman said. I think we all understand the desire to hold them (I always have to fight the desire to hug and kiss them like I do my dog and cats), but it is best for them that we just admire them in their enclosures and keep handling to a minimum of a few minutes at a time. Also, keeping your lights on a 12 hour schedule is better for your cham…they need their beauty sleep.

How much are you holding this chameleon? How old is it? They should not be treated like puppies 98% of their life should be in a properly set up enclosure. But to have them out with you while you are watching tv is not healthy for them. They can not regulate their temp and become over stimulated. Stressed out chams get sick easier because their immune system is lower. Chameleons already hide illness so by the time you visually see the signs it often is too late.
I never hold him more than three times a day. Every time I hold him it is for about 30-45 minutes. I make sure to keep him in his cage throughout most of the day but I do take him out so he can crawl around outside of his cage. His light is on for about 12 hours.

That is way too much! Usually a short session once or twice a week is more than needed/wanted. He is not getting proper UVB or able to get correct temperatures, along with less drinking opportunities, with that much time out of his enclosure. He is probably super stressed when held, too. Does he come to you willingly? People usually only handle chams to go outside, to go to a free-range enclosure, to work on trust via handfeeding, and to occasionally practice getting them out if they need to go to the vet.

That is way too much! Usually a short session once or twice a week is more than needed/wanted. He is not getting proper UVB or able to get correct temperatures, along with less drinking opportunities, with that much time out of his enclosure. He is probably super stressed when held, too. Does he come to you willingly? People usually only handle chams to go outside, to go to a free-range enclosure, to work on trust via handfeeding, and to occasionally practice getting them out if they need to go to the vet.
Oh my goodness I’m so sorry!! I read that you need to hold your Cham a couple times a day so he/she can get used to you!! Thank you so so much!! Yes, he comes to me willingly. Thank you so much for this information, I would have kept doing it.

Great! Would you like us to go over your husbandry to make sure everything else is 100% and to make sure you got correct info?

Great! Would you like us to go over your husbandry to make sure everything else is 100% and to make sure you got correct info?
I just did lots and lots of other research to make sure everything else I was doing was ok, but I’m still going to ask a question. He eats and drinks perfectly fine but with the calcium powder how many times a week do I need to be giving him it. Normally I put it on his crickets once everyone other day, but I’m not sure if that is correct to be doing, that’s the only question I have.

I like black rat snakes, carpet pythons, and corn snakes for "reptile cuddles", a lot of them have the mentality when older to view the experience more as something interesting rather than something to be dreaded.

Many other snakes work well, and once they find a spot will settle down and chill with you.

It depends on the types of supplements you have. The most common types of supplements and their schedule are a phosphorus-free calcium without D3 every feeding, except for one day every week. On that one day per week, you'll alternate weekly between a phosphorus-free calcium with D3 and a quality multivitamin without D3 (preferably with preformed Vitamin A), so that each is used once every two weeks.

Ok, I have been using one with d3 and I also have one without it, I wasn’t sure what a good schedule was so I would alternate then every week. But thank you this has helped me so much since I am A new Cham owner.

I used it three times a week not knowing the correct schedule to be using. Even after all the research I did before I got my Cham there was still a few things I was unsure about and this was the main one. But yes I have been using it three times a week every other week. I’m so so sorry for not knowthjng the proper care for my Cham so if there is any tips you could give me as a new Cham owner that would be great

Don’t be sorry, you didn’t know! Plus, you’re on here wanting to learn, which is great! Since there has been some things off, I’d really recommend filling out this form in as much detail as possible, including pics of your cham, his entire cage, and his lights. That way, if anything else is off, we can correct it so you and your cham can have a long and happy and healthy life together!

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thank you so much!! Tomorrow I am going to need to get some more things for him, including different stuff to put in his cage to make it seem more suitable for him, different supplements (I will be doing tons of research to find the best one for him), more crickets. Also speaking of crickets, I am having lots of trouble breeding my own crickets, are the crickets from petco safe? I will make sure to fill out that form and he has a vet appointment scheduled for him in a month, I’m aware that is a little bit of a wait but it’s the only time I could get him in. Is there anything I need to know before I take him? Sorry for the many questions but what are good things to put in a chams cage? Like what brands are good, what type of materials are not ok for a chameleon? Right now he is sleeping (it is currently 10:00 pm) but tomorrow I will take pics of him and his entire cage.

I never hold him more than three times a day. Every time I hold him it is for about 30-45 minutes. I make sure to keep him in his cage throughout most of the day but I do take him out so he can crawl around outside of his cage. His light is on for about 12 hours.
First, like any other living things, these are individuals. Some might say three times a week is a lot.
Some may take to handling; others may never take to it. We can try to encourage, but in the end—unless it's necessary, like a vet visit—the decision whether to be "handled" or not should be up to them.

IMO, 30-45 minutes is about 10X too long/much. Only as long as is absolutely necessary to accomplish what is absolutely necessary. As I said above...
For a lizard that can fall asleep on you, get a bearded dragon. ;)
Beardies can & will take daily handling—or time out from their enclosures—for long-ish periods of time, and opinions will differ on that.

Thank you so much!! Tomorrow I am going to need to get some more things for him, including different stuff to put in his cage to make it seem more suitable for him, different supplements (I will be doing tons of research to find the best one for him), more crickets. Also speaking of crickets, I am having lots of trouble breeding my own crickets, are the crickets from petco safe? I will make sure to fill out that form and he has a vet appointment scheduled for him in a month, I’m aware that is a little bit of a wait but it’s the only time I could get him in. Is there anything I need to know before I take him? Sorry for the many questions but what are good things to put in a chams cage? Like what brands are good, what type of materials are not ok for a chameleon? Right now he is sleeping (it is currently 10:00 pm) but tomorrow I will take pics of him and his entire cage.
What kind of "things"? Apart from live plants, proper lighting, plenty of branches/dowels/sticks to get around on, and a decent feeder, chameleons don't need anything else. Aesthetic accoutrements are for humans—they are wasted on chameleons.

Crickets from any pet store are about the same; they should all be gut loaded, and there's always a (small) chance of parasites. Regular fecal screenings are a good idea for any/all reptiles.

When your vet appt. comes around, be sure to take a fresh (less than 24 hrs. old) fecal sample with you. As to what you should know, read a few of these articles:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=first+visit+to+a+herp+vet

First, like any other living things, these are individuals. Some might say three times a week is a lot.
Some may take to handling; others may never take to it. We can try to encourage, but in the end—unless it's necessary, like a vet visit—the decision whether to be "handled" or not should be up to them.

IMO, 30-45 minutes is about 10X too long/much. Only as long as is absolutely necessary to accomplish what is absolutely necessary. As I said above...

Beardies can & will take daily handling—or time out from their enclosures—for long-ish periods of time, and opinions will differ on that.

What kind of "things"? Apart from live plants, proper lighting, plenty of branches/dowels/sticks to get around on, and a decent feeder, chameleons don't need anything else. Aesthetic accoutrements are for humans—they are wasted on chameleons.

Crickets from any pet store are about the same; they should all be gut loaded, and there's always a (small) chance of parasites. Regular fecal screenings are a good idea for any/all reptiles.

When your vet appt. comes around, be sure to take a fresh (less than 24 hrs. old) fecal sample with you. As to what you should know, read a few of these articles:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=first+visit+to+a+herp+vet
When I mean things I am meaning good thermometers, what plants are beat for their cages, what to put at the bottom of the cage (right now I have paper towels), what type of stick/climbing stuff should I put in there. Yes the list you gave me is perfect, I was just wondering what proper things were needed. Thank you for the articles, this was great help!

When I mean things I am meaning good thermometers, what plants are beat for their cages, what to put at the bottom of the cage (right now I have paper towels), what type of stick/climbing stuff should I put in there. Yes the list you gave me is perfect, I was just wondering what proper things were needed. Thank you for the articles, this was great help!
I have a therm pro ThermoPro TP50 Digital Hygrometer Indoor Thermometer Room Thermometer and Humidity Gauge with Temperature Humidity Monitor$10.99Amazon.com I highly recommend it, and I believe @Beman uses one also. Pothos is great it barely needs light but needs lots of water. If you have a grow light are are willing to buy one the SANSI Grow Light Bulb with COC Technology, PPF 112 umol/s LED Full Spectrum, 70W Grow Lamp (700 Watt Equivalent) with Optical Lens for High PPFD,$59.98Amazon.comFree shipping is great. Things like umbrella plants, hibiscus or ficus would be a good plant to put on the bottom but they need that sans led light. Any non sappy stick is good. oak and spider wood are great is use sticks from a bush outside, but if you go with something you found outside you need to wash with water and soap thoroughly.

Start reading through everything here.... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Before you go spend a ton of money on stuff fill out the form. We can then give you thorough advice rather then pieces and then you will not be buying stuff that is incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom