Cham Eye Problem

Krank

My Chameleon, Krank, has been showing some eye problems. A while ago about 2 months,there was a hurricane and we had a manitory evac. When we were there for a couple of days i saw that his right eye was closed and the other was open. I thought it was from dehydration so I misted him and he opened his eye for a while. Then a couple weeks ago both his eyes were closed and he would sleep alot and he would not eat. Every now and then he would eat about 8-10 crickets then now he would not move at all. His eyes do look a bit sunken even thought I do mist 4 times a day. I took him to the vet and he gave me something for his eye. Its been a week and nothing changed and he still has not ate anything. Then the vet gave us some calcium to put on his mouth and he ate some but not alot. Hes really small and skinny and still sleeps in one spot and keeps both eyes closed now.
If anyone can help leave a comment.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - All screen. Lighting-5.5" UVB,Flukers, Lights on at 8am off at 8pm

Temperature - 75 to 85 dgrs, lowest night temp around 75

Humidity - Dont know humidity levels. Misting from morning, then around after noon twice, once before bed.

Plants - Not using live plants (Zilla vines and leaves)

Location - The cage is located near a window the top is about 3 or 4 feet high

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Veiled,Male,6 months. Had him for 2 months.

Handling - Not alot i stopped when i saw a change in his action. Maybe two, three times every 2 weeks.

Feeding - Crickets, 3 in the morning 2 about 5pm. Every other day

Supplements -Reptical every other day as to following his eating time.

Watering -Spray bottle once in morning once in afternoon again at around 5pm then at 8pm, for about 30 seconds. Yes, ive seen him drink many times from the top of the cage and the leaves.

Fecal Description - Normal poop brown with white. I dont know if he has had test.

History - Got him from a local pet store. He acted ok for a couple of weeks until we had a hurricane evac. and when I got to my destination his left eyes was close and the right opened. Then a week later another hurricane hit then I went to a friends house who had 2 cats, 3 dogs (2 are outside) now he sleeps ALOT and still continues to keep one eye open one eye closed.

Current Problem - Hes been sleeping alot and keeps closing one eye and opening the other

he could have a piece of shed skin or debri in his eye, what helped with my cham who had a similar problem was, get really really hot water, almost boiling, and just lightly drip or spray the water into his eye that was hurt, this should help if there is something stuck in his eye

get really really hot water, almost boiling, and just lightly drip or spray the water into his eye that was hurt,

lightly drip almost boiling water in to his eye :eek: if you poured almost boiling water in to my eye i would scream and would probably damage it..im gueesing it would be the same for a chameleon?

no, if you put it into the spray bottle and sprayed or dripped it on your hand or even your eye it is warm, and it needs to be warm, if you put warm water in the spray bottle it would be lukewarm when you put it on your chams eye, ive done it befor, and my chams enjoy long mistings of almost or boiling water

I would try a different vet ASAP. Some vets are just not up on chameleons. Try this site below and see if you can find a good chameleon vet close to you. Where do you live?

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

Yea I checked there there are none in Texas (that would be still standing Because of Hurricane Ike) I only found one and its here in Beaumont and I was finding a vet not to far from here. He was the only one i found and he said he treated alot of chameleons. So i don't know.

I know it is not possible but you should try to get to a vet ASAP, also I suggest live plants, and try to feed him all at once,feeding before bed or a few hours before bed could mess up his metaboliosm. YOu want to try and get a fecal test done.
Is he in a low traffic area?

he could have a piece of shed skin or debri in his eye, what helped with my cham who had a similar problem was, get really really hot water, almost boiling, and just lightly drip or spray the water into his eye that was hurt, this should help if there is something stuck in his eye

I would not put almost boiling water into your chams eye. Having eyes closed and sleeping in the day time is a sign that you cham has health issues. I'm not a vet but this sounds very serious to me. Jann

no, if you put it into the spray bottle and sprayed or dripped it on your hand or even your eye it is warm, and it needs to be warm, if you put warm water in the spray bottle it would be lukewarm when you put it on your chams eye, ive done it befor, and my chams enjoy long mistings of almost or boiling water

There is a difference bewtween dripping almost boiling water and misting, when you mist hot water it will come out cooler, but when you drip it, it is at the same temperature.

Sounds like classic Vitamin A deficiency. Possibly too far advanced at this point. All the hot water stuff is complete hocus pokus. I'l PM you some info.

To clarify

By "hocus pokus" I meant that it isn't going to do a thing to help this problem. Not to be rude, but I like a hot bath myself. If I'm sick, a hot bath will leave me clean ...... and still sick. That, and clean underwear, and I guess I'm ready for the ER. I can see the doc's now "Hey, this one is bathed. Clean underwear too". Mom would be proud :)

Boiling water????????????????????????? This forum has some sickos out there! Antibiotic eyedrops from the vet are a better choice while you look for a good herp vet. Boiling water, I'm really not believing this.

Is the UVB light a compact/spiral or the long linear tube light?

Is it reptocal or rep-cal that you are using? Reptocal has vitamin A, D3, calcium and phosphorous, etc. in it. Rep-cal would either be a calcium powder or a calcium/D3 powder. If its reptocal, then you are likely overdoing it.

There is a difference bewtween dripping almost boiling water and misting, when you mist hot water it will come out cooler, but when you drip it, it is at the same temperature.
xxxxxx
no not really, try it on your hand youll see

Boiling water????????????????????????? This forum has some sickos out there! Antibiotic eyedrops from the vet are a better choice while you look for a good herp vet. Boiling water, I'm really not believing this.

dude have you even tried it, it just makes the water a little hotter, ive done it to my cham when there was a piece of shed skin in his eye, my vet told me it'd help and it did, so before you assume someon is a sicko you should try it first and maybe know them, cuz a sicko is someone like you who randomly calls people sickos

Back
Top Bottom