Cham cannibalism is a fact

BocaJan

We have 2 chams that like to perch in our tree in the house. One at a time that is. Well, they have become adventurous and have taken to cruising around the living room. Merlin fell in love the the pretty little cham ornament that we got as a present and in fact even tried to as her out on a date. (cough cough). Well, when Merlin was in the tree he decided to go and visit his girlfriend clear across the other side of the room, up the shelves that hold my nursery bins, and do who knows what. Well, on the way he noticed the little green things running around. He was sitting on the edge of a bin when the dog started to bark, alerting us to something happening. We saw him, raced over to the shelves and snatched him off the bin. I always count the little green beans every time I clean the bin, so I don't miss anyone when I wash the branches of the plastic plants.

I am now one short. I am not a happy camper. Free range is nice, but not if you have an easy food source laying around.

Aww, how sad.:( Chameleons have no parental instincts whatsoever! At least you didn't witness the baby being eaten - that would have been awful.:mad: Maybe the little green beans looked like short fat hornworms to him.

Julie, the babies were all in the neonate tubs. They are only 6 weeks old. It was totally our fault. Bad part is, we can't let Merlin free range now because he will head back to that spot. Maybe if we move his "girlfriend" to his tree. LOL

Sorry to hear that Naomi. Both my chams free range so when my eggs hatch I plant to keep the babies in bins with lids or either cages and in a room with the door closed at all times.

Good idea! I have learned mt lesson.

Sorry to hear that Naomi. Both my chams free range so when my eggs hatch I plant to keep the babies in bins with lids or either cages and in a room with the door closed at all times.

I have seen my free range melleri near our baby tub before and it made me nervous but luckily I caught them before they could get too close.

You should look into making lids for your baby tubs so you can continue to free range. Chad has a good DIY tutorial here

Sorry you lost the little one. The first of my brevs to hatch last summer was unable to move its hind legs. After a few days he stopped pulling himself up into the plant; he did not seem likely to have good quality of life, so I took him and held him out to Thaxter. I averted my gaze 'til it was over but, yes, they won't hesitate to take something moving and prey-sized.

Did The Cham look fat? Not possible the baby escaped? and/or the dog is the guilty party? I remember how agile homer was a baby, I had caught him several times on the lip of his tub and had to upgrade. Its amazing what they can do, bance on the tail, stretch up....
In anycase, no screen over the tub, free roaming adult.....I dont need to say it.
The reptile world is eat or be eaten. Lesson learned eh.
:)

Sorry you lost a baby. I guess that is just nature, but definitely the ugly side of it.

On the other hand, I've always said that now that I have a teenager, I truly understand why some animals eat their young!

I've always said that now that I have a teenager, I truly understand why some animals eat their young!

ROTFL...I hear ya! :D

alive and moving = food.

I kept a screen lid on Pat and Chris when they were little melleri babies... I don't keep a lid on the baby veiled because she is pretty far out of the way for a cham to eat.... but it could happen I suppose. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom