CH Chamaeleo (T.) deremensis

merumontanus

Avid Member
Hi all,

I had a chance once again to get out this weekend and snap some photos. Here are a few of the captive-hatched deremensis that were born last year. I have found the adults to be quite hardy (when exported and acclimated properly), but the little ones are little tanks!

As you know, wild-collected, East African, three-horn species have been taken off the CITES quotas indefinitely, so hopefully our community will take them more seriously and establish them in captivity before it's too late.

Eric... this is for you.

deremensis1.png

deremensis2.png

deremensis3.png

Cheers,

Fabián

Still one of my favorite species! They look great as do the photos! How many did you keep?

They are so gorgeous. I SO BADLY wanted to buy the one that Mike had, but he was gone next time I checked:(. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos and the amazing video!

Last edited:
Thanks guys... I've always said it's the subject, more so than talent. It's difficult not to produce compelling images with such stunning creatures in front of your lens.

Kent, I currently have 19 juveniles out of 24. I lost a few initially but these have established themselves quite well. My plan is to refocus on jacksonii once again, particularly merumontanus, so I will only be keeping a few (if not a couple) of these.

I have another short clip in the works showing their intriguing feeding behavior, Kat... which, as you know, involves vigorous vibrations prior to feeding. I should have that up soon...

Cheers,

Fabián

so beautiful!!! I really want to have those guys, they and jacksoniis are my favorits!!

Last edited:
Kent, I currently have 19 juveniles out of 24. I lost a few initially but these have established themselves quite well. My plan is to refocus on jacksonii once again, particularly merumontanus, so I will only be keeping a few (if not a couple) of these.

NICE! I'm jealous :) Hopefully you'll let us know here if and when you decide to let a few go to other homes? Gotta love those Jackson's too, though. It's so hard to just stick to one or two species, haha.

NICE! I'm jealous :) Hopefully you'll let us know here if and when you decide to let a few go to other homes? Gotta love those Jackson's too, though. It's so hard to just stick to one or two species, haha.

I second this request! If you are ever looking for good homes, please think of Kent and I:eek:. I would love to see the other video you have as well. The first one was so beautifully done.

beautiful animals. Thanks for posting the pics. I'm so happy they're doing well!

Unfortunatly, I lost all of my deremensis within a couple months (as well as my WC melleri) to coccidia. I used appertex, which seemed to clear them up for a couple months - they even gained weight and began courtship - but then they went downhill fast and never recovered. It was so sad to see all my WC's die so fast... so simultaneously.

It really broke my heart - those animals were very long term, long term captives.

The talent that this group has is very humbling! The knowledge and artistic abilities are amazing. Beautiful video and pictures and definitely magnificent animals!

KUDOS!

I've seen animals hatch - many times. But I can't say seeing it in person does his videos justice! He's got a talent for putting videos together so that it captures all the moments, set to music, and it's paced just right...

beautiful animals. Thanks for posting the pics. I'm so happy they're doing well!

Unfortunatly, I lost all of my deremensis within a couple months (as well as my WC melleri) to coccidia. I used appertex, which seemed to clear them up for a couple months - they even gained weight and began courtship - but then they went downhill fast and never recovered. It was so sad to see all my WC's die so fast... so simultaneously.

It really broke my heart - those animals were very long term, long term captives.

Eric, what a tragedy-- I know how hard you worked to establish those animals and the personal commitment and sacrifice it required. I also understand the devotion you have to the species (both of them), so let me know when you're ready (emotionally, logistically, etc), and I will have a pair of captive-hatched juveniles on reserve for you.

Kat, Kent-- I will begin looking for homes for the surplus deremensis this spring. I am hoping some of those who were able to acquire animals from Mike's latest clutch will show interest in diversifying their bloodline. Each animal is critical to the continuation of the species in captivity, especially now that the ban has been implemented.

I have started to edit the endless hours of footage I have shot over the last couple of years, and will continue to document my experiences with these magnificent creatures, and share them with you, as time permits. Thank you for your kind support.

Cheers,

Fabián

Kat, Kent-- I will begin looking for homes for the surplus deremensis this spring. I am hoping some of those who were able to acquire animals from Mike's latest clutch will show interest in diversifying their bloodline. Each animal is critical to the continuation of the species in captivity, especially now that the ban has been implemented.

Sounds good. I would love to have this species again, but only if I was in a position to do it right. Unfortunately I missed out on Mike's clutch. Actually, I didn't even know he'd sold them until recently :rolleyes: I'm sure you'll find great homes for all of them.

Photographic Update

It is Sunday and the weather is more than favorable, so I snapped some photos and decided to post them here so as to avoid having a million threads on these guys.

Enjoy...

Male

3377361508_2c784dc2e2.jpg

3377352660_c7d61a32c6.jpg

3377349294_417c221841.jpg

3376533097_4845a868d6.jpg

Female

3376542191_a06699ed5c.jpg

3376540845_52ce7151aa.jpg

3377351828_ccb6cf6d46.jpg

3376534207_84da4489c6.jpg

3377359410_018d4b2462.jpg