CB Snails. How much would you pay for them?

I've got 14 breeding age giant African land snails & 900 n something babies. The adults lay eggs every couple of wks. I remove the eggs, freeze them for 48 hrs then put them in a bowl in my chams viv & they love them! High in calcium and my chams can't get enough of them. I've not tried them with the baby snails yet because I don't think my daughters would ever forgive me lol

I've got 14 breeding age giant African land snails & 900 n something babies. The adults lay eggs every couple of wks. I remove the eggs, freeze them for 48 hrs then put them in a bowl in my chams viv & they love them! High in calcium and my chams can't get enough of them. I've not tried them with the baby snails yet because I don't think my daughters would ever forgive me lol

lucky I wanted a african snail but theyre illegal in the us

They breed like crazy, as Blondekiss says! Friend of mine got a set from Freecycle and they multiplied so fast, our local Freecycle always had someone offering them! I also gave away my stick insects as they are illegal in the US and I couldn't bring them with me!

Lol I had stick insects as a kid, 4 of them. Then they starting leaving little brown balls all over the place :confused: and then we had hundreds of babies all over the house!! Well I didn't no what them balls were, I was 8 yrs old. :rolleyes:

Stick insects are brilliant! Excellent feeders too, if you can get them again. Ours were a present, ended up with 3 adults who kept dropping eggs... I gave lots away to my daughters's friends at school, took a mini-terrarium with a few of them to my friend in hospital so she'd have something to watch... My Hubbles wouldn't let me give them away in party bags though, he drew the line there... I just love it that they are all females and are so well adapted they don't even bother mating, they are perfect and can't improve, so just drop clones! Awesome little beasts.

Just think, if you could mail them, it'd be considered snail mail - hahahaha!

I crack myself up...
sorry for chiming in but this thread gave me a good laugh! ya'll are hilarious on this forum! I'd LOVE to feed my chams snails....that sucks you can't mail them....no one ever said anything about meeting up and picking them up and then "Donating" gas money or for your "breeding project" ;) hahah

Could you do the same with large aquatic snail eggs?

Check Sandra's blog, they are super easy to breed.
The shells are easily digested and are a good source of calcium. I dont recommend feeding off the wild ones due to parasites. Just catch the wild ones wait for them to lay eggs, remove them to hatch in another container:) once you have a decent amount of cb ones just get rid rid of the wild ones and you wont have to worry about the parasites.
I have two species currently going

Ditto the above.

From what I know, snails are really only eaten by montane species. The shell part baffled me too, at first.
A 10 gal aquarium works best. Use a substrate of moist soil and leaf litter. They breed fast, but you should probably wait at least 4 generations before feeding, because all wild snails have parasites. I'm not an expert on the subject, but this is some stuff I have come to know.

Panthers eat them, and enjoy them, so NOT just montane species.
Shell is digestable.
I do not wait 4 generations - I use the first captive generation.

What kind of snails are we talking about the reg one with the beige and brown striped shells that are alwasy all over, they are good feeders? how do I breed them?
there are tons around, does anyone just feed wild ones? and arnt the shells alot for the chams?
sorry for all the questions, but you got me interested now lol

These are the ones I have:
full
full

How I keep them:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/133-snails.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom