CB Snails. How much would you pay for them?

chameleoman

Avid Member
Well i might start a snail project and feed off CB snail and sell them but have no idea how much they would sell for. How much would you guys pay for CB snails? Also, because i dont see that any vendors sell snails.

I might also start my pill bug project again i had a lot of offers last time and just my luck they got infested with ants

Well i might start a snail project and feed off CB snail and sell them but have no idea how much they would sell for. How much would you guys pay for CB snails? Also, because i dont see that any vendors sell snails.

That's because they are illegal to ship.

????? really! wow

EDIT: Lol yeah it sucks. I was pretty bummed when I found out. Here is a quote from xanthoman:

common brown garden snails aka helix aspersa are considered a national agricultural pest by the usda.
so, they are not legal for sale and are not legal to transport interstate so not legal for mailing either.

they would have no proof if cops came to my house i would run outside and put the snails on the floor and say RUN!!!! or slowly slimely walk away

I dont sell my snails, but I do trade them (to local friends ONLY) for other feeders I cant be bothered to raise: I trade one m-l snail for 8 m-l silkworms or 3-5 hornworms.

What kind of snails are we talking about the reg one with the beige and brown striped shells that are alwasy all over, they are good feeders? how do I breed them?
there are tons around, does anyone just feed wild ones? and arnt the shells alot for the chams?
sorry for all the questions, but you got me interested now lol

What kind of snails are we talking about the reg one with the beige and brown striped shells that are alwasy all over, they are good feeders? how do I breed them?
there are tons around, does anyone just feed wild ones? and arnt the shells alot for the chams?

Check Sandra's blog, they are super easy to breed.
The shells are easily digested and are a good source of calcium. I dont recommend feeding off the wild ones due to parasites. Just catch the wild ones wait for them to lay eggs, remove them to hatch in another container:) once you have a decent amount of cb ones just get rid rid of the wild ones and you wont have to worry about the parasites.
I have two species currently going

From what I know, snails are really only eaten by montane species. The shell part baffled me too, at first.

A 10 gal aquarium works best. Use a substrate of moist soil and leaf litter. They breed fast, but you should probably wait at least 4 generations before feeding, because all wild snails have parasites. I'm not an expert on the subject, but this is some stuff I have come to know.

sorry for chiming in but this thread gave me a good laugh! ya'll are hilarious on this forum! I'd LOVE to feed my chams snails....that sucks you can't mail them....no one ever said anything about meeting up and picking them up and then "Donating" gas money or for your "breeding project" ;) hahah

You can ship them if you have permits on both ends. There is a biological supply company near me that sells them for educational purposes as long as the buyer gets the appropriate permits (they already have theirs.) It's a pain in the butt. I will return with the info for the permits momentarily.

Yes those ones

Here it is:

http://www.nilesbio.com/prod341.html

Apparently they only require permits for people outside CA since they are already in CA. The permit they say you need is USDA permit application PPQ 526.

EDIT: I have bred Helix aspera as they are very common and very easy to breed. The great thing about snails is that they have both male and female parts, so they can all fertilize and reproduce with each other.

Here it is:

http://www.nilesbio.com/prod341.html

Apparently they only require permits for people outside CA since they are already in CA. The permit they say you need is USDA permit application PPQ 526.

EDIT: I have bred Helix aspera as they are very common and very easy to breed. The great thing about snails is that they have both male and female parts, so they can all fertilize and reproduce with each other.

Ya I read theyre hermaphrodites

Back
Top Bottom