Carpet chameleon laid one egg

Yodastoe

Carpet chameleon first time laying clutch only laid one egg from perch over 36 hours ago and still hasn't laid any other eggs. Getting a little concerned. Female still active and looking okay but hasn't showed any signs of digging or additional laying. Female still looks gravid colors and still bigger then normal. Laying bin is in her cage and I even predug a hole. Shows no interest. Any ideas welcome.

Unfortunately carpet chameleons are very difficult to get to dig and often drop their eggs. Was she wild caught?

No she is captive. Got her from a well known breeder.

The timing has me worried. She now laid the egg 48 hours ago. I don't want her to become egg bound. I did notice she pooped yesterday. Is it common for a chameleon to lay one egg and then wait so long?

Have you tried putting her in a large lay bucket outside the enclosure? She may be more inclined to dig. Carpets are picky over laying sites. Has to be moist and to their liking. As long as eggs are coming out better then them staying in.

I have tried it off and on a couple days... Just sits in the bin. Seemed a bit stressed so put her back in her cage for awhile. She still has not laid an egg since her first that she dropped over 48 hours ago.

And thank you very much for responding :)

It's already concerning. I suggest 24 hour in the bin and the next 24 hours in her home if she doesn't lay then back in the bin 24 repeat until she digs and lays.

Back
Top Bottom