Can you keep a chameleon in an RV?

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
Well it’s pretty much like it sounds like. I am going to be traveling and living full time in an RV. I have not moved them yet as I need some time to find out how the temperature and humidity run. So far temperature is good but definitely need to stay stocked on propane though. It has 2 sleep areas so animals will have their own room. When weather is good I will have an outside cage as well.
There are still things to do before it’s ready but I think it can be done.
Note that this will be done in a safe manner and their regular home enclosures will still be there if needed.

Why you ask? Well there are several reasons but I have always been torn between wanting to keep animals and wanting to travel. I have an opportunity to try and combine them so I would see what I can do. Technology is what makes it possible with better batteries affordable solar and remote monitoring.

I’m excited to see where it goes

This is how we would feel. For a chameleon in the wild a tree would be moving on any windy day. I think of it like this. One windy day every week or two should not bother them, but daily might be a bit much. It is a factor to consider though and something I will watch for.
Well, can´t disagree with that counterpoint. For sure you´ll be overthinking things good enough and it will be amazing travelling with them.
You are intending to take always the same chams with you? Don´t know why, however I belief you got more then 2 chams.

Well, can´t disagree with that counterpoint. For sure you´ll be overthinking things good enough and it will be amazing travelling with them.
You are intending to take always the same chams with you? Don´t know why, however I belief you got more then 2 chams.
Just 2 the others will be finding homes.

Don't tell me... you're going to photograph your cham in each of the 50 States... :unsure: :LOL:

This is how we would feel. For a chameleon in the wild a tree would be moving on any windy day. I think of it like this. One windy day every week or two should not bother them, but daily might be a bit much. It is a factor to consider though and something I will watch for.
I would compare the swaying of the curves in the road to the wind in the trees. Vibration is something different (like a power saw cutting down the tree you're basking in... :eek: )

There are apps for planning your way around road construction. I'd get one. ;) Those vibrations (and associated dust) can go on for miles.

Don't tell me... you're going to photograph your cham in each of the 50 States... :unsure: :LOL:

I would compare the swaying of the curves in the road to the wind in the trees. Vibration is something different (like a power saw cutting down the tree you're basking in... :eek: )

There are apps for planning your way around road construction. I'd get one. ;) Those vibrations (and associated dust) can go on for miles.
So planning routes and accounting for weather are part of it. The vibrations are experienced buy any animal that has traveled at all, even like in shipping. So I don't think it will be an issue. Like I say I won't be driving daily.

So I am seeing my first concern. I do not have my cham in the trailer yet. But the concern I am having is the constant temp changes and dryness. The trailer blows the warm air up from the floor, which is good, but because it is a trailer the heat kicks on often. The result is that temps may swing within 3 degrees through out the day. From say 73 to 76 ambient. The location will be out of the draft of the floor vents, but being next to a wall creates a coolness in that area. These seem to be the things we cant really change so we have to ask if these are acceptable winter conditions. In Spring, summer and fall will be different as the weather good and I will have an outside enclosure as well. I hope to have some pics soon.

Only 3 degrees? That's pretty good, and I would hardly say it's a concern. Just make sure that the basking spot is on the lower side of the temperature spectrum to account for temperature rise.

As for humidity, have you tried closing off the front main door of the cage with window insulation film or marine vinyl?

I agree with @Klyde O'Scope about the vibrations. But as long as you have a contingency plan for your cham if he ends up getting too stressed out, I don't see an issue in trying.

I would like to note for the average passerbyer that the chameleon is male. I don't know if I would try this with a female, or at least you might have to rearrange your travel plans based on if she's about to lay. Just my two cents.

You're a very knowledgeable keeper so I'm not concerned at all. I'm sure you'll keep an eye out for stress. Just keep us updated. This question pops up every so often, so I'm sure this will be useful to others.

Temperature and humidity balance are my biggest concern as it can fluctuate pretty fast so I will need a 24hr backup if something runs/goes out.
Depending on the RV and where your heading Heat would be my main concern I lived in an RV for about 4 months on the central coast of California while working on a farm and it got smoking hot during the day when the sun was beating down on it. Other than that it was pretty comfy. If your driving or can park in the shade you may be able to avoid this but it'll be easier to keep um warm than to cool them off.

I could keep my leopard gecko in the kitchen to make me food and my beardie in the closet with a broom or riding on top of a Roomba (I don't think it would be a good idea to put a beardie on a Roomba they might see something that looks yummy and jump off only to be eaten by their previous transportation device)

So I am seeing my first concern. I do not have my cham in the trailer yet. But the concern I am having is the constant temp changes and dryness. The trailer blows the warm air up from the floor, which is good, but because it is a trailer the heat kicks on often. The result is that temps may swing within 3 degrees through out the day. From say 73 to 76 ambient. The location will be out of the draft of the floor vents, but being next to a wall creates a coolness in that area. These seem to be the things we cant really change so we have to ask if these are acceptable winter conditions. In Spring, summer and fall will be different as the weather good and I will have an outside enclosure as well. I hope to have some pics soon.
You're concerned about a 3° Δt? I would think there are larger swings during the course of a day in their natural habitats.

Can you insulate the back wall, or make baffles to redirect the draft (or both)?

I can do some things to midigate temperature and humidity. The change doesn’t seem like much but it is up and down all day changing in minutes. Vibration will only be two to 3 times a month. It also doesn’t allow for proper cage height and I will be right there moving.

Ok there’s more but the point is I think all these little things will add to a big thing. I am going to recommend against this . The lack of consistent temperature and humidity coupled with numerous stress factors makes it not a great idea.
So why am I still going to do it? Well my male Scar is special needs. He has no tongue at all and can not eat on his own. Further he can only eat one bug a day. More than that and he regurgitates. He had a major injury https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/injured-chameleon-a-case-study.173892/
So he is very use to handling from all the care.
He is even use to having his teeth brushed. Yes teeth brushed, I would not have thought about it before but with no way to get things stuck out of his teeth I noticed redness and found debris. I now check regularly and about once a month I have to clean his teeth.
So his best place is with me and this is where I am at. The other are all automated and are happy only seeing people briefly only to be fed.

Back
Top Bottom