Can you keep a chameleon in an RV?

Well it’s pretty much like it sounds like. I am going to be traveling and living full time in an RV. I have not moved them yet as I need some time to find out how the temperature and humidity run. So far temperature is good but definitely need to stay stocked on propane though. It has 2 sleep areas so animals will have their own room. When weather is good I will have an outside cage as well.
There are still things to do before it’s ready but I think it can be done.
Note that this will be done in a safe manner and their regular home enclosures will still be there if needed.

Why you ask? Well there are several reasons but I have always been torn between wanting to keep animals and wanting to travel. I have an opportunity to try and combine them so I would see what I can do. Technology is what makes it possible with better batteries affordable solar and remote monitoring.

I’m excited to see where it goes

I think yes. I am currently adding a second battery setup that runs on solar, but also charged by alternator… to my 4Runner for long road trips. Its essentially a mini RV setup.

I would have redundancy in place for temp extremes. If you lose power, its probably no big deal most of the year, but if you lose power or gas on a very cold or very warm day, you could be in trouble.

Maybe its my career path, but I am always thinking of redundancy. So maybe adding solar and a backup battery capable of providing the bare minimums would be a useful insurance policy. My second battery can power my mini fridge, lights, and other stuff for like 3 days on its own. Adding solar charging makes it hard to deplete. Heaters use up a ton of power, though… so in extreme weather you need gas heat or to rely on heat lamps!

Other than power needs / redundancy, I think its totally doable. I’d assume an RV is so big and heavy that they wont bounce around too much in transit, either, but you would need to do a better job of securing them than the average joe does.

Depending on the RV and where your heading Heat would be my main concern I lived in an RV for about 4 months on the central coast of California while working on a farm and it got smoking hot during the day when the sun was beating down on it. Other than that it was pretty comfy. If your driving or can park in the shade you may be able to avoid this but it'll be easier to keep um warm than to cool them off.
Aluminet might help with that if you dont mind the eyesore and labor. People swear by it for cars (to keep dogs cool at dog shows). Its very popular with greenhouses and what I plan to go with for mine. A high density one will reflect most of the sun/heat away from the vehicle. Off the top of my head I think average temp drop was like 15 degrees (which is significant).

So I am seeing my first concern. I do not have my cham in the trailer yet. But the concern I am having is the constant temp changes and dryness. The trailer blows the warm air up from the floor, which is good, but because it is a trailer the heat kicks on often. The result is that temps may swing within 3 degrees through out the day. From say 73 to 76 ambient. The location will be out of the draft of the floor vents, but being next to a wall creates a coolness in that area. These seem to be the things we cant really change so we have to ask if these are acceptable winter conditions. In Spring, summer and fall will be different as the weather good and I will have an outside enclosure as well. I hope to have some pics soon.
3 degrees is a non issue. Outside temps swing far more than that. Humidity swings can be a problem, though. Can you cover the vents partially or completely in their room? At work we put magnetic strips over vents on the southern facing offices.

Humidity would need to be mitigated by dense foliage and/or added humidity via fogger. That should also swing wildly throughout the day. Highest humidity overnight, with a drying period during the day. If you can keep it over 40% during daylight I think its fine. Just mist heavily at night.

I think yes. I am currently adding a second battery setup that runs on solar, but also charged by alternator… to my 4Runner for long road trips. Its essentially a mini RV setup.

I would have redundancy in place for temp extremes. If you lose power, its probably no big deal most of the year, but if you lose power or gas on a very cold or very warm day, you could be in trouble.

Maybe its my career path, but I am always thinking of redundancy. So maybe adding solar and a backup battery capable of providing the bare minimums would be a useful insurance policy. My second battery can power my mini fridge, lights, and other stuff for like 3 days on its own. Adding solar charging makes it hard to deplete. Heaters use up a ton of power, though… so in extreme weather you need gas heat or to rely on heat lamps!

Other than power needs / redundancy, I think its totally doable. I’d assume an RV is so big and heavy that they wont bounce around too much in transit, either, but you would need to do a better job of securing them than the average joe does.
Yes I have already been thinking of redundancy and will be adding solar with larger batteries. I am also planning to get a small emergency generator possibly.
But yea if you loose power it is an hour and it it too hot or cold. A normal house will take far longer to before it becomes a problem.

So why am I still going to do it? Well my male Scar is special needs. He has no tongue at all and can not eat on his own. Further he can only eat one bug a day. More than that and he regurgitates. He had a major injury https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/injured-chameleon-a-case-study.173892/
So he is very use to handling from all the care.
He is even use to having his teeth brushed. Yes teeth brushed, I would not have thought about it before but with no way to get things stuck out of his teeth I noticed redness and found debris. I now check regularly and about once a month I have to clean his teeth.
So his best place is with me and this is where I am at. The other are all automated and are happy only seeing people briefly only to be fed.
Kinda buried the lede, eh? :unsure:

Yes I have already been thinking of redundancy and will be adding solar with larger batteries. I am also planning to get a small emergency generator possibly.
But yea if you loose power it is an hour and it it too hot or cold. A normal house will take far longer to before it becomes a problem.

I have Goal Zero solar batteries as a back up. I have a 1500wh version that is plenty to run lights and stuff during an outage, but a heater will use 1500w in an hour. I guess the good news is you usually have access to power hookups in camp. How is the RV heated or cooled while in transit? Is it a tow behind or all-in-one vehicle?

I have Goal Zero solar batteries as a back up. I have a 1500wh version that is plenty to run lights and stuff during an outage, but a heater will use 1500w in an hour. I guess the good news is you usually have access to power hookups in camp. How is the RV heated or cooled while in transit? Is it a tow behind or all-in-one vehicle?
It is a tow behind and transport temperature is another issue. I can run electric while towing to handle heat, not sure on cool yet. I will transport him in the cab if needed.

So I am seeing my first concern. I do not have my cham in the trailer yet. But the concern I am having is the constant temp changes and dryness. The trailer blows the warm air up from the floor, which is good, but because it is a trailer the heat kicks on often. The result is that temps may swing within 3 degrees through out the day. From say 73 to 76 ambient. The location will be out of the draft of the floor vents, but being next to a wall creates a coolness in that area. These seem to be the things we cant really change so we have to ask if these are acceptable winter conditions. In Spring, summer and fall will be different as the weather good and I will have an outside enclosure as well. I hope to have some pics soon.
Well the swing is pretty good you know in the wild it’ll swing like that throughout the day :) my room does swing a bit too (opposite side of house from AC lol) and Van doesn’t seem to mind at all

I am sorry I took so long to get back. Things have been kind of rough with a lot going on.
I am sad to say my male scar passed. By the time I could get to him he had not been getting the care he needed and was just too weak. Within the same week or two my macaw passed and I could not be there. It has been very hard.

On the point of keeping in an RV. I do still keep my T's and some stakes, but long term I don't think this is that safe. The biggest issue is temp, though it can be balanced if something happens like running out of propane or electrical problems the temp rises or falls very fast and even with out side temp of 74 it can become way to hot inside very quickly. Humidity is the other big issue. Because of the nature of heating or cooling the trailer it dries out very fast and it is very hard to keep humidity up even at night. Not to mention humidity is bad for trailers.

For extended periods and with proper planning it can be done but it is not the best or safest environment for a cham.

Back
Top Bottom