Can someone help me identify the breed of this panther please

Realkoi

I just today found this guy on a classified add and decided to purchase this as the price and everything was great. He was sold as an ambilobe but from what I know they do not have a U shaped bar, that is ambanja correct. He is a year old, and I was just wondering what you guys thought of him and knew what breed he is. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 338
I know that only senior members are supposed to make identifications but I just wanted to throw out the idea of Sambava local. That's what this guy looks like to me. Any reason why this might not be the case?

From the flchams website:
Sambava - A locale from northeast Madagascar. This locale is very similar in color and pattern to those of Andapa. Male Sambava Panther Chameleons are often characterized by the presence of a "U bar" rather than the typical "Y or V bar" on the flanks. Coloration typically includes green, yellow, orange and red with dark pattern lines and occasionally a bluish lateral line.

I would expect to see more bright orange from a sambava. I only see red or redish orange in him.

I know that only senior members are supposed to make identifications but I just wanted to throw out the idea of Sambava local. That's what this guy looks like to me. Any reason why this might not be the case?

From the flchams website:
Sambava - A locale from northeast Madagascar. This locale is very similar in color and pattern to those of Andapa. Male Sambava Panther Chameleons are often characterized by the presence of a "U bar" rather than the typical "Y or V bar" on the flanks. Coloration typically includes green, yellow, orange and red with dark pattern lines and occasionally a bluish lateral line.

I believe you may have a cross.

It has some sambava coloring, but its not all there, the shades of red on the face for example are not quite right.

So it is possible you have a sambava/ambilobe cross.

Unfortunately, you will never know unles you find out who the parents were.

Crosses can oftentimes look more like one locale than other, but it is still a cross.

thanks for all the help guys. I will post more pics and maybe it will lead to a conclusion. I really appreciate all of the help. As a new member it is really nice to have people who are this dedicated to the hobby and forum. Thanks once again.

Nosy Mitsio/ Sambava, anyone else see that in the second sleeping pic?

But in all honesty, I agree with Camimom. I don't believe that chameleon has 100% purity of any locale. To say which locale's he has in him is hard to say.

As at least one other poster noted, it is likely a cross-Locale. It is not pedigree anything. While U bars are much more common with Sambava's, it does not preclude other Locales from having similar on occasion.

It would seem to have Ambilobe in it. The red-orange on the dorsal spine is most distinctive of that Locale. But whether the other influences are Ambanja, or Sambava, there is no way to know for certain.

There are some breeders who list in their breeding stocks animals that are clearly hybrids. Or who offer for sale animals that are labeled as pedigree, but are not. One result of this is that it skewers folks' impressions of what a Locale is supposed to look like. The best way to determine what a Locale is supposed to look like is to look to pictures of known WC males, and photos taken in the wild.

A very attractive animal regardless.

I got some more info yesterday and also a pic of the sire. The sire came from Kammers. I am not sure which line though. Here are some more pics to maybe help shed some light on the whole thing. Once again thanks everyone for the help

Attachments

• Alladin 1.JPG
    Alladin 1.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 209
  • Alladin 2.jpg
    Alladin 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Alladin 3.jpg
    Alladin 3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 204
  • Alladin 4.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Alladin.JPG
    Alladin.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 171
The Kammers breed a lot of crazy looking crosses, so if your guy's sire came from one of those lines we're even more in the dark. They keep impeccable records, down to the exact percentage of each locale that is in a particular mix, but without knowing the sire there's no way to know what's in him.

He could be a mix of 3-6+ different things, coming from them.

He's awesome looking though, so I would just enjoy the mystery and forget about ever being able to label him! lol

The Kammers breed a lot of crazy looking crosses, so if your guy's sire came from one of those lines we're even more in the dark. They keep impeccable records, down to the exact percentage of each locale that is in a particular mix, but without knowing the sire there's no way to know what's in him.

He could be a mix of 3-6+ different things, coming from them.

He's awesome looking though, so I would just enjoy the mystery and forget about ever being able to label him! lol

I agree he is very different and interesting looking, even though I am fairly new to the whole chameleon keeping hobby, I knew it had to be something different as I try to learn as much as possible. I am very passionate about all of the animals I have as I have my own business with koi fish and like to know as much as possible so I can give them the best of care and life possible. Thanks once again guys.

Back
Top Bottom