Can Jamaican field crickets eat dill?

Barye

Hello again!

I'm actually both disappointed,angered and confused at the same time. Definitely not a good thing.
The point is, all my crickets I've bought yesterday, and fed them with dill+bee pollen, were dead today morning.
I've provided them the food, water, place to live in (egg cartons) and of course, warmth (They were left nearby my leopard geckos' heating mat)
Here comes the question, is dill somehow toxic to the crickets? or was I just given especially weak specimens.

Dill is not a recommended gutload. I know in gardens it can repel some insects. Not sure about crickets.

Here is a gutload image to go by.

chameleon-gutload.jpg

That's surprising. I thought crickets could consume just about anything. I've even seen them stand over a line of small ants eating them as they walk by.

Dill sounds like an easy one to replace, but have you had any success with crickets eating just the bee pollen? If not, I'd do another test on a small batch of crickets to make sure the pollen isn't contaminated with pesticides and replace the pollen if it kills the crickets again.

Beekeepers can't control wherever the bees go and if the bees that created some of the pollen that batch visited some treated plants it's possible the pollen contains some pesticides.

Dill wouldn’t be a problem(in moderate amount), it’s been used before. Pesticides could do that, but the most likely is the crickets sucked. Guessing from a local pet store and not banded? Try banded crickets, they live forever lol.

That's surprising. I thought crickets could consume just about anything. I've even seen them stand over a line of small ants eating them as they walk by.

Dill sounds like an easy one to replace, but have you had any success with crickets eating just the bee pollen? If not, I'd do another test on a small batch of crickets to make sure the pollen isn't contaminated with pesticides and replace the pollen if it kills the crickets again.

Beekeepers can't control wherever the bees go and if the bees that created some of the pollen that batch visited some treated plants it's possible the pollen contains some pesticides.
I've used this pollen several times before, and it caused no problems, so I'm happy to know that mine is alright, according to the Beman's respond, it would explain why did the dill harm my crickets.

The gutload image doesn’t mean that’s all you can use, it’s just a good guideline. Dill wouldn’t kill the crickets… Not saying this to argue with anyone, but just to save you the hassle of spending money on poor quality crickets.

If by banded you mean House crickets, I'ts not possible for me to use them, as my cham is too small at the moment.
And apparently, when I asked about smallest specimens, literally babies, they still were too large for my lizard (guess the store doesn't buy the little ones)

Last edited:
Yeah I did not mean the dill did it. Just that it is not in the gutload we recommend. @jamest0o0 knows far more about gutload then I do.
Maybe you had them on too much heat. I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom