Can I use perlite for a substrate? urgent!!!!@!@!@!@

Substrate for eggs-yes. I prefer vermiculite. Make sure the perlite does not have Miracle Grow or any chemicals in it.

I have been using perlite as I could not vermiculite locally and with the eggs being here already, didnt have time to order. So far so good. I can see it holding in humidity and moisture and eggs are growing well.

I use a mixture of ~50/50 perlite and "reptile moss" from the pet store for my snake eggs. I had hatched 4 clutches this way in the past and it seems to work. Perlite is fine just make sure when you open the bag for the first time that it doesnt have a chemical smell AT ALL. If it does, use different stuff. I fill small tupperware containers with the above mentioned combonation, soaked in RODI water oivernight, then squeezed out until no more water drips. I then set these tupperware in a shallow tub filled with water and a aquarium thermometer set at 80*(snake temp, chams are different).

IF condensation forms on the side of your container thats good, if ALOT forms and is actually making solid droplets on the top of the container its to wet. If to wet leave the lid open. If to dry put a soda pop cap filled with water in the container, dont put water directly on the eggs.

thats all for now....my snake is laying eggs RIGHT NOW and i need to go see if she is done so i can transfer her eggs into the above described incubation chamber.....yeehaw

I used Hatchrite for the first batch of eggs...

IMG_9247.jpg

Then I used the fine grain vermiculite for my second batch of eggs.

IMG_9647.jpg

These are actually Melleri eggs.... not veiled like the pictures above.

IMG_9648.jpg

I like both medias. but vermiculite seems better to me. easier to mix and check.

pink color means there are alot of blood vessles going through them. Yellow or brown (besides brown stains from vermic) are what you gotta look out for, oh and blue/green (mold) too. you can candle them with a low powdered flashlight to see if they are viable.

Your eggs are super white.. Mine are somewhat translucent with a pink tone to them..Is that good?

By all means do not give up on them, but I have to take deffrence to the above post. Pink and translucent is usually a sign of under-calcification. Well calcified eggs are white and very opaque. The whiter your eggs are when laid, the better. They will dirty-up a bit in the months before hatch, but pink and translucent are NOT what you want to see.

Mine are pygmies so they only have 2 months. They are growing quite well. The one I didnt think would hatch is one that is very white and still around tictac sized. It looks hard..the rest are jellybean size. They are semitrans with a pinkish tint..no mold or brownness yet and only 2 weeks left..What are my chances?

Okay my eggs are not almost completely white..what a change from yesterdays faint pink.. I hope this is a good sign!?

Back
Top Bottom