can chameleons pick up on stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyCalvin

Hi everyone,

Just after a little bit of advice.

Had Calvin since christmas now and he's been doing really well with me. Unfortunately i'm going through a breakup at the moment and as bizarre as it sounds i want to know if chameleons can pick up on stress etc? I only ask as his behaviour has been strange lately. He's been very active in his vivarium (when he isnt usually) and yesterday/lastnight he was walking around on the floor of the tank for the first time ever. He did look rather stressed and was constantly touching the side of the glass as if he was trying to escape. I handle him daily, but due to things lately i havent held him as often as usual.

He is eating as normal

Your help would be great :confused::confused:

thanks

He probably misses his free time out of the cage. You should try to continue on with your regular schedule and it will be good for both of you.

He probably misses his free time out of the cage. You should try to continue on with your regular schedule and it will be good for both of you.

^ Yeah I agree.

There have been many studies done on animals of all different types and it seems to be a resounding yes, that animals are able to pick up on human emotions.

Everything in my house is affected by my stress regardless of how it's interpreted from plants to animals.

not necessarily can I say they pick up the stress as in sensing it but you are acting and doing different things which directly effects the lizard. Like less handling due to your situation caused by your stress.

OK. Wow. Chameleons are not picking up on your emotions. They have tiny purposed brains, and as long as you have them set up correctly in their little chameleon worlds you can have a nervous breakdown right next to thier cage and they COULD CARE LESS, unless you are thrashing and flopping around like a mad monkey, which could possibly visually stress them out. Seriously people.

You sure its not a female? More active, dark and crawling on the ground are signs of a gravid female.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/fat-constipated-53562/

Looks like tarsal spurs to me.

OK. Wow. Chameleons are not picking up on your emotions. They have tiny purposed brains, and as long as you have them set up correctly in their little chameleon worlds you can have a nervous breakdown right next to thier cage and they COULD CARE LESS, unless you are thrashing and flopping around like a mad monkey, which could possibly visually stress them out. Seriously people.

YOU'RE HOME!

Urrrm all of ur replies have confused me and stressed me out! I dnt know what's up-something is different coz he's way more active than usual!! Did some one say they've looked at one of my pics and thinks he's a male?

Ill fill out a help form

Thanks guys

Thanks CrazyCalvin-let's see if we can figure anything out. He may just be going through his getting close to breeding age stage.

Last edited:
Urrrm all of ur replies have confused me and stressed me out! I dnt know what's up-something is different coz he's way more active than usual!! Did some one say they've looked at one of my pics and thinks he's a male?

Ill fill out a help form

Thanks guys

Hi folks. Trace the Grouchy Moderator here again. While I enjoyed the humourous responses the OP isn't getting any reasonable responses to their original query. How about a little sensitivity and some solid advice for their problem. Thanks! :D

not necessarily can I say they pick up the stress as in sensing it but you are acting and doing different things which directly effects the lizard. Like less handling due to your situation caused by your stress.

Correct, they cannot pick up on your stress, but a change in routine could effect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom