Can anyone tell me what these are?

Alb123

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hoehnelii sounds pretty close, but it doesnt have the throat spikes. Its almost as if a sternfeldi crossed with a hoehnelii. Or even a mt. Meru x sternfeldi? Any guess?

Hi Alb,

The second animal is a stereotypical example of Trioceros sternfeldi. The first individual is less typical, but definitely not T. nyirit or T. hoehnelii based on the photos you presented here and in the T. nyirit thread (https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-species-trioceros-nyirit.65723/#post-1230680). Most of the features of this individual are very characteristic of T. sternfeldi as well, however the rostrum and casque are almost Trioceros jacksonii merumontanus like. There have been reports of T. sternfeldi x T. j. merumontanus hybrids occurring naturally in the wild. While its not impossible that this individual is an example of the aforementioned cross, I'm more inclined to say based on the weight of evidence that this is simply an aberrant example of T. sternfeldi that is exhibiting what appears to be a precursor to a rostral horn, causing the observed enlargement. It is not unheard of for such variation to be found within species. At one point there were photos posted here on the forums of a CB F. pardalis that developed an even more strongly formed rostral horn. Definitely an unusual individual though!

Chris

There is said to be a form of T. sternfeldi from the Rubeho Mountains that does have a pronounced rostral. Doubtful it is sternfeldi just because it is further south then any of the known rudis types.

That specimen, while being a male, displays colors somewhat resembles a female Jackson's, it never displayed any coloring of the typical male t. sternfeldi.
I am definitely leaning toward a hybrid of some kind.

Back
Top Bottom