Calumma parsonii (Orange Eye) - pt II

so would that count as legal-ish?

USF&W, our CITES Management Authority, can't prove they aren't from bloodlines that left Maddy prior to 1995 and so they let them in. Legally. Anyone who's been around long enough with chameleons knows that the possibility of any of these being F4 or whatever, from pre-95 animals, is zero. Were these legally imported into the US: Yes. Were both their parents and grandparents hatched outside Madagascar: No.

So these parsonii were brought in illegaly?

Supporting the black market? Despite the fact they were "given to you" it doesnt matter. . .

So what's your solution in this case?
The importer did not get any $$$ for these animals which will hopefully discourage him from importing again.
Shouldn't the animals be taken care of?

-Brad

I have to admit these posts have had me smiling.
If you guys would like any help,tips,opinions,etc,please contact me.
They do look like they are in pretty good shape from the pics.

I love the pictures and this sp. is really cool and unique. I am happy as hell that they're in good hands! Keep us all updated guys. :)

I have to admit these posts have had me smiling.
If you guys would like any help,tips,opinions,etc,please contact me.
They do look like they are in pretty good shape from the pics.

Thanks, Chuck. Although these are not my first Parson's, it has been quite a while, and I'm not familiar with how the imports from this source usually arrive. They have a heavy nematode load. Strongyloides and pinworms; lots of larvae and eggs. They are eating and drinking well. Based on your experience, how long would you wait until deworming them? Let them settle in more or go ahead and do it now?

My advice is to wait a month or two. Keep them seperate from your other reptiles as good as its possible. I can't proove it but I think they are directly from Madagascar so they have two journeys behind them. Because of this, I would create an instant dripper edge in the enclosures for them, to ensure that they can always drink

Thanks, Chuck. Although these are not my first Parson's, it has been quite a while, and I'm not familiar with how the imports from this source usually arrive. They have a heavy nematode load. Strongyloides and pinworms; lots of larvae and eggs. They are eating and drinking well. Based on your experience, how long would you wait until deworming them? Let them settle in more or go ahead and do it now?

Hey Kent,
I agree with Benny to obviously quarantine them from everything and create a constant drip for them. As far as your parasite problem, I would give them 2-3 weeks of acclimation and blast those basterds out of there. You don't want them to get more of a foothold than they already have. It doesn't hurt to get some bloodwork done if you have the extra money to do it.

Thanks, guys. They have been quarantined from the beginning. I believe some of this group started the deworming process yesterday which led me to start thinking about whether or not I wanted to wait a little while.

Kent

Congratulations and Best Wishes on this adventure. I really hope they pull through and glad you are there to pick up the pieces. :mad: They look good to me, but what do I know. :rolleyes: What is the high pitched whining in the the background of the video...OH! you mean it's all the people who are jealous? Got it. :p

.... you mean it's all the people who are jealous? Got it. :p

Thanks very much for the good wishes but I hope that's not what we're doing. They are amazing animals but the last thing I want to do is increase the desire for animals brought into the US like this. We were actually just discussing privately whether or not even posting pictures of them here was doing that.

Let's start a movement to have CITES issue a small quota for the species. I still believe a few hundred a year would not be detrimental, especially after seeing what happened in the 90's. Doesn't anyone have a friend in biology who'd be interested in spending some time in Madagascar doing a thesis or dissertation on Parson's populations?!? :rolleyes:

The pair here had their final rounds of anti-worm and anti-protozoan parasite medicines a week and a half ago. Although both are being very picky eaters, they are eating and drinking, and still look good. Female has almost completed a whole shed over the last couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom