Calcium Plus LoD

UrbanChameleon

I'm considering purchasing this new Repashy product, Calcium Plus LoD. I would like to get the opinion of the forum members.

The ingredients from the Repashy website will be posted below. I'm curious about the D3 in particular. Would this be too high for daily usage? Should this be used in combination with regular calcium, only using the Cal Plus 2-4 days out of the week? Would any of the other vitamin dosages listed cause problems with daily usage? Base your thoughts on a Chameleon that is mainly kept indoors under a UVB light. Feel free to discuss away on this particular product.

This thread for Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, not Calcium Plus. Please don't confuse the two.

Case is 144 jars. Calcium Plus LoD VITAMIN AND CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT Our All-in-One Calcium Supplement with added Vitamins, Trace Minerals, and Carotenoids for Species with Low Vitamin D Requirements that Receive Moderate UVB Radiation from Natural or Artificial Sunlight.

DIRECTIONS: Use with every insect feeding. Best applied by placing insects in a plastic bag or container with Calcium Plus and shaking to lightly coat insects. Feed insects to your animals shortly thereafter.

INGREDIENTS: Calcium Carbonate, Dried Kelp, Algae Meal, RoseHips, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Hibiscus Flower, Algae Meal, Turmeric, Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (as preservative), Natural Fruit Flavor, Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Iodide. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement). Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. .2%, Crude Fat min. .2%, Crude Fiber max. 4%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 25%, Calcium min. 17%, Vitamin A min. 80,000 IU/lb, Vitamin D min. 8,000 IU/lb, Vitamin E min. 8,000 IU/lb. Refrigeration will extend product life NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION • Made in USA REPASHY VENTURES Inc. 1879 Camino Brisa, La Jolla, CA 92037 T 1.855 REPASHY • www.Repashy.com

I think it is an individual preference and should be based on how much your chameleon is housed outdoors because it contains d3. Personally, I don't give my chameleons any artificial d3 as they mostly live outside. edit: sorry I had to reread and realize you wanted this based on indoor keeping. I think we need to know the concentration of d3 in this product to make an honest opinion.

The description posted above lists the amount of D3 in it. If anyone looks at the website, the description of the medium and high D3 also list the amounts as a comparison.

To the OP, for what it is worth, I am using this on my montane species SPARINGLY. I still would not consider using this as your DAILY supplement.

Stick with basic Calcium for any kind of daily use you may need.

You also don't mention what type of Cham you are using it for, that may help with better feedback.

Vitamin D min. 8,000 IU/lb

This is definitely on the low end of the supplement spectrum. Compare that to normal Calcium plus, at 20,000 IU/lb (and I used this one 2-3 times weekly when mine were indoors) and other brands which have substantially more D3.

It would depend on a couple things, like natural sunlight exposure, intensity of UVB lights, diet, etc., but I would feel more comfortable using this supplement often throughout the week. I would still have plain calcium but I think you could use this supplement lightly most of the week.

I would be far more comfortable using this product daily or rather almost daily (remember that not all feeders need supplement - some require none at all), than I would the regular calcium plus (which I would only use once weekly). It seems the superior choice of the two, for panther or veiled chameleons, assuming a decent selection of properly gutloaded prey and access to UVB lighting. When my current supply of supplements need replacing, I will seriously consider the LowD.

Its unfortunate that they are not required to put a guaranteed max as well as the min amounts of vitamins in a product. That info is also vitally important.

Last edited:
I still like my three powder routine. My animals rarely get outdoor time so the do get their D3 twice a month.

After people loosing chameleons, especially panthers when using calcium+ I decided not to use it. I fell the fact they brought out two new versions shows they realised their one fits all isnt truly correct and saying it can be used everyday is quite a big claim.

I have heard of people using it fine but not following the everyday statement and using it two or three times a week. I use it on tortoises and leopard geckos but personally prefer the three powders for my chameleons.

I was looking into Repashy's supplements also and I was so confused by all the different calcium concoctions that I gave up. I'm just doing the normal deal: calcium every day or so (depending on if he actually eats them before the dust gets sprayed off by the mister), ca with d3 every two weeks and multi vitamin every two weeks.

For me, the real value of this specific product is for use with species that are very susceptible to health issues such as edema due to oversupplementing. At least is usingthis product I have a reasonable idea of the amount of D3 present as well as it being a minimum amount.

I still use the three powder method for my Panthers.

Back
Top Bottom