Calcium in water?

Christel

Does anyone add the calcium powder to the water? If so, how much to mix in?
The thought only occurred to me last night when I saw dried white droplets on the glass of the pet store chameleon's tank. Mine will drink from a handheld water bottle, so..... I would certainly be able to monitor the intake.
Screenshot_20200208-202905.png

Not suggested to do, as stated. The reason it doesnt work, for learning purposes, is because unlike many reptiles, chameleons do NOT absorb through their skin. This is why it is recommended to use distilled, spring or RO [reverse osmosis] water. The minerals will build up on their scales, eyes and nostrils.

Its theorized that they can absorb liquids through their vent... but that's another topic.

Well, as originally posted, it would be in the handheld drinking bottle that she drinks from, if you look at the picture, and not misted on her.
I do exclusively use bottled water for her, for drinking, misting, and watering the plants in her abode.
What's kinda cool, is that she now lets me know when she wants a drink from her bottle.

Not to say it's not fine, if they just drink it. Dripper ect.

However, like Hashtag said, you have to realize that chameleons in the wild, are not going into rivers, and such.

There is very little to no minerals in rain water, which the Chameleons are exposed to.

Not suggested to do, as stated. The reason it doesnt work, for learning purposes, is because unlike many reptiles, chameleons do NOT absorb through their skin. This is why it is recommended to use distilled, spring or RO [reverse osmosis] water. The minerals will build up on their scales, eyes and nostrils.

Its theorized that they can absorb liquids through their vent... but that's another topic.

I have also heard of this magical butt thing for beardies...

Pretty sure my beardie is not drinking with his butt in his soaks...

I saw this thread while looking for ways to fix my dripper issues, but now this raises an additional question for me.

Previous I had a male Panther that I lost when he was almost 5 years old due to some health issues that occurred prior to me taking him. I got a monsoon mister for his cage and, as suggested by the store, I used tap water with Prime water conditioner to remove the chemicals (if it makes tap water safe for fish to live in, I had no second thoughts about using it in the mister), plus the book says to use only De-mineralized or distilled water with it.

I've recently gotten another male Panther and am using the same method for him.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Chams drink dripping water off leaves & branches...I'm sure quite often they would drink water washing down from bird poo, snake poo.... epiphyte plant detris.... I don't beleive that chams in the wild would always get 100% pure water

Does anyone add the calcium powder to the water? If so, how much to mix in?
The thought only occurred to me last night when I saw dried white droplets on the glass of the pet store chameleon's tank. Mine will drink from a handheld water bottle, so..... I would certainly be able to monitor the intake.View attachment 258805

it might be a bit off topic but this way of providin chsmeleon with water is the best way to overhydrate it. Overhydration is same wrong as dehydration.
i strongly recommend against this way of hydrsting a chameleon.
Moreover, your csge is a very strange setup: the brsnches are way to thick and lots of fake plants are life threatening for the chameleon.
With all resoect, I would revisit the basics of husbandry.

basednon decades of experience, itnis not necessary to add calcium to water. Itnis better to gutload properly the feeders and dust them with calcium powder.

Well, as originally posted, it would be in the handheld drinking bottle that she drinks from, if you look at the picture, and not misted on her.
I do exclusively use bottled water for her, for drinking, misting, and watering the plants in her abode.
What's kinda cool, is that she now lets me know when she wants a drink from her bottle.

Show us please her poop and urates and I will wxsctly tell you what is the level of hydration of your chameleon

Chams drink dripping water off leaves & branches...I'm sure quite often they would drink water washing down from bird poo, snake poo.... epiphyte plant detris.... I don't beleive that chams in the wild would always get 100% pure water

well, agree that the water chameleons drink is orimarily distillwd one and it fet contsminated by various substances, especially dust.

taking into cinsiderstion what snake density is there in chameleon inhabite biotopes and defecatuon habits, the comtsmination with snake poop is a science fiction, the bird poop contamination is a little more likey but also close to nill.

I saw this thread while looking for ways to fix my dripper issues, but now this raises an additional question for me.

Previous I had a male Panther that I lost when he was almost 5 years old due to some health issues that occurred prior to me taking him. I got a monsoon mister for his cage and, as suggested by the store, I used tap water with Prime water conditioner to remove the chemicals (if it makes tap water safe for fish to live in, I had no second thoughts about using it in the mister), plus the book says to use only De-mineralized or distilled water with it.

I've recently gotten another male Panther and am using the same method for him.

Any thoughts on this?

The reasons for distilled water being suggested are
1. its more natural, rain water is closer to distilled than Tap. So is Dew/Fog.
2. Tap water can have a lot of Dangerous contaminants. That fish safe stuff, does not even work for fish most of the time, its a scammy gimmick.

All that stuff does, is dechlorinate the water. Which you could do yourself, by letting the water sit out in a open container for 24 hours. That does not remove Fluoride, or other "Beneficial additives" that are actually poison especially for reptiles.

We recently became aware of our local water being polluted with a soap chemical, from a local dry cleaning facility. The water company stated, they have yet to fix it, because it has not caused any proven deaths or illness..... There was a statement about it, 6 or 7 years ago, when it was first found out. Then we assumed it was going to be fixed, and forgot all about it. The local paper just published an article, that not only has it not been fixed, ITS WORSE NOW!

Trusting your water supply, with out thorough investigation and testing, is not something I would advise.

The reasons for distilled water being suggested are
1. its more natural, rain water is closer to distilled than Tap. So is Dew/Fog.
2. Tap water can have a lot of Dangerous contaminants. That fish safe stuff, does not even work for fish most of the time, its a scammy gimmick.

All that stuff does, is dechlorinate the water. Which you could do yourself, by letting the water sit out in a open container for 24 hours. That does not remove Fluoride, or other "Beneficial additives" that are actually poison especially for reptiles.

We recently became aware of our local water being polluted with a soap chemical, from a local dry cleaning facility. The water company stated, they have yet to fix it, because it has not caused any proven deaths or illness..... There was a statement about it, 6 or 7 years ago, when it was first found out. Then we assumed it was going to be fixed, and forgot all about it. The local paper just published an article, that not only has it not been fixed, ITS WORSE NOW!

Trusting your water supply, with out thorough investigation and testing, is not something I would advise.

I did have aquariums in the past, and until I got the water issues figured out, I lost many fish ? True, some of the water conditioners on the market are junk, but PRIME is the only one I would trust.

That being said, I'm absolutely sure you're right about distilled water being the best and the safest thing for the mister and dripper too.

The reptile stores around here sell PRIME and since newbies don't know these things, and the book that comes with the Mister says use de-mineralized water OR distilled, it's an easy mistake not to give it a second thought.

NOW, with THAT being said, that raises another question ? if tap water is unsafe for my Cham, even with Prime, how is it safe to hydrate him in the shower (weekly if needed) , when that's just straight-up tap water?! ?

I did have aquariums in the past, and until I got the water issues figured out, I lost many fish ? True, some of the water conditioners on the market are junk, but PRIME is the only one I would trust.

That being said, I'm absolutely sure you're right about distilled water being the best and the safest thing for the mister and dripper too.

The reptile stores around here sell PRIME and since newbies don't know these things, and the book that comes with the Mister says use de-mineralized water OR distilled, it's an easy mistake not to give it a second thought.

NOW, with THAT being said, that raises another question ? if tap water is unsafe for my Cham, even with Prime, how is it safe to hydrate him in the shower (weekly if needed) , when that's just straight-up tap water?! ?

I didn't say, or mean that your tap water is certainly unsafe. Just that it's hard to know, if it's safe or not. There is no one size fits all. My water use to be, likely more so safe than it is now with the issue I described. My local water has started using Flouride too. Which is a concern to some. Really have to investigate, your Tap water, what they add, what it's polluted with ect, and judge.

I don't use Distilled, I use a RO system. And I use RO, water. It's cheaper in the long run, and easier to deal with.

As to the shower thing. I have no answer as that is not a practice that I do personally. Nor understand the requirement, or reasoning for it. I just have a longer mist on Sunday afternoons.

As to the Prime. I didn't mean it doesn't work. I am sure it is a great dechlorinator, as well as may destroy bacteria and some others.

What it will not destroy is polluted, as in my case now due to a local dry cleaner. With soap and chemicals. Nor will it remove heavy metals such as Flouride, which is a toxic metal that is good for our teeth, and only mildly toxic, so they feel it okay to inject our water with it.

It's toxicity to reptiles, is debated as it is to humans. So depends what side of that argument your beliefs lie. That is not something I can answer for you, as both sides make good points.

I can provide my thoughts, which are that I do not drink nor provide my reptiles or even my insects with Flouride water. As while both sides make good points, I would rather err on the side of caution.

Last edited:
I didn't say, or mean that your tap water is certainly unsafe. Just that it's hard to know, if it's safe or not. There is no one size fits all. My water use to be, likely more so safe than it is now with the issue I described. My local water has started using Flouride too. Which is a concern to some. Really have to investigate, your Tap water, what they add, what it's polluted with ect, and judge.

I don't use Distilled, I use a RO system. And I use RO, water. It's cheaper in the long run, and easier to deal with.

As to the shower thing. I have no answer as that is not a practice that I do personally. Nor understand the requirement, or reasoning for it. I just have a longer mist on Sunday afternoons.

Tap water in some areas is truly awful! We lived close to a very large city and the smell of chlorine would knock you out! It's not that way where we are now, but its definitely not pure ? .

Thanks again for the input!

Tap water in some areas is truly awful! We lived close to a very large city and the smell of chlorine would knock you out! It's not that way where we are now, but its definitely not pure ? .

Thanks again for the input!

Same for me.

I was born and raised in Phoenix Arizona. The water is not even close to drinkable.

Now we reside up in the 4 corners area of Arizona, high up in the mountains. The water is very drinkable. However, with the new pollution issue, and the Flouride added, I am more hesitant.

Same for me.

I was born and raised in Phoenix Arizona. The water is not even close to drinkable.

Now we reside up in the 4 corners area of Arizona, high up in the mountains. The water is very drinkable. However, with the new pollution issue, and the Flouride added, I am more hesitant.

We have hard water where we live. We did move 3 countries north and it's not nearly as bad. I'll have to do more research on it. In the mean time, I'll use distilled

Back
Top Bottom