Cage over crowded?

The Pachira aquatica you've used is toxic, if eaten, though that is unlikely with a panther. There are safer, better choices, that will branch more readily and can be kept compact. Ficus, miracle fruit, aralia, and pothos can be found at most Lowes or Home Depots, though you may have to order a miracle fruit tree as they aren't commonly sold in stores.
The usual toxicity lists I have seen show Pachira aquatic as non-toxic. What is the toxicity reference you are using?

Check under the common name of water chestnut. As with many plants, there will be sources that swear it's fatally toxic, while others state it's very safe. At any rate, due to its growth habits, there are better choices.

Check under the common name of water chestnut. As with many plants, there will be sources that swear it's fatally toxic, while others state it's very safe. At any rate, due to its growth habits, there are better choices.
You mean Water Chestnut as in Eleocharis dulcis? Common names are misleading as they can apply to many plants. We are discussing Pachira aquatica so how about we stick with that. That is what I see in his cage.

Pachira aquatica is actually a great plant to use in a chameleon cage. Even if the cat/dog toxic lists did apply to chameleons, it is not on those lists. And its growth habits are no more disruptive than schefflera arbicola (which are on the toxic lists, but have worked without issue for decades). For the time that it is of a size that it can fit in the chameleon cage the trunk is strong for climbing and the leaves are good for drinking water droplets. For babies the leaf stems are great perching areas and for adults it is just a nice ambiance plant. Even if it was not directly functional, it is a very nice looking pant and the way a chameleon cage looks to us is just as important as how functional it is to the chameleon.

If you don't like them then that is fine, but if this keeper thinks it looks good in his cage there is no reason to call it toxic (unless you truly think it is dangerous to chameleons and can back that up) or say there are better choices.

You mean Water Chestnut as in Eleocharis dulcis? Common names are misleading as they can apply to many plants. We are discussing Pachira aquatica so how about we stick with that. That is what I see in his cage.

Pachira aquatica is actually a great plant to use in a chameleon cage. Even if the cat/dog toxic lists did apply to chameleons, it is not on those lists. And its growth habits are no more disruptive than schefflera arbicola (which are on the toxic lists, but have worked without issue for decades). For the time that it is of a size that it can fit in the chameleon cage the trunk is strong for climbing and the leaves are good for drinking water droplets. For babies the leaf stems are great perching areas and for adults it is just a nice ambiance plant. Even if it was not directly functional, it is a very nice looking pant and the way a chameleon cage looks to us is just as important as how functional it is to the chameleon.

If you don't like them then that is fine, but if this keeper thinks it looks good in his cage there is no reason to call it toxic (unless you truly think it is dangerous to chameleons and can back that up) or say there are better choices.

I suggested the plant may be toxic. I am a horticulturist, with years of experience in competitive horticulture. That doesn't mean my memory is perfect or that I don't make mistakes.
What I did was provide alternatives, mention pros and cons, and provided a scientific name, so the keeper could decide for themselves, if they felt the plant was safe. No one is calling a plant toxic out of dislike for it.
The reason I think there are better choices is because the Pachira aquatica does little to no branching until much larger, it grows larger and is less tolerant of pruning in order to maintain lateral branches for chameleons, and my memory flags it as toxic. I've already stated that the toxicity, if present, is of minimal concern with a panther chameleon, so I've done more than enough in taking my time to offer constructive feedback.
If you dispute the toxicity, you may be correct and that is fine, but your tone above was not constructive and there is more than enough feedback for the original poster to make their own informed decision; without me arguing the point further.

Update:
So, after researching Pachira aquatica, it is listed as nontoxic on several reputable list. My memory was flagged as it being toxic, because it's common name, as well as horesechestnuts both are descriptive of toxic plants that are other species.
That said, there are better choices as I've already mentioned, for the reasons I already mentioned, nameley plants that branch readily and don't grow into 60', canopy trees, without the branching of ficus, schefflera, citrus, miracle fruit trees, and so on. The plant is harmless, but it will get very tall and not provide sturdy branches, as a small plant.
I still see no cause for the tone above and encourage all keepers to make their own informed decisions about plants in their enclosures. I use species many believe are dangerous, but I know the actions of the plants and the behavior of the animals they are used with. Even "experts" misremember things, mix up names, and make mistakes, which is why Google exist.......be your own expert!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom