Cage Critique

kc3142

Hello everyone! I have been stalking this forum for a very long time and finally decided its time to start posting. I had an amazing Ambilobe named Zuzu for three years who past away a few months ago. I decided it is time to get another cham. Possibly a Nosy?!?

This time I decided to go all in and make my new guys home the best that I could. I will be ordering him in a few weeks so I would appreciate any feedback on his future home. I really disliked the open spaces of my last cage so I went for a more natural look this time.

Cage: 24x18x36. The back and bottom third of both sides are acrylic, the rest is screened in. The back has tree fern panels and orchid slabs attached.

Lighting: I have the tropic blaze duel fixture with the T5 HO and 6.5k bulb from light your reptiles. Todd was amazing and I highly recommend him. For basking I have a 100w house bulb. Temp at basking point fluxes from 90 to 87 throughout the day, and the ambient temp hovers around 69.

misting: I have the mistking with two nozzles going off four times a day for two minutes each. I think I am going to add a nozzle closer to the tree fern panels to make sure they are getting good moisture and cutting back to three times a day. Humidity spikes to around 65% then drops to 30's in between. I am also going to be running a dripper for a little during the day.

Plants: This cage contains two very large pathos, a small pathos, and a small fern to make the bottom of the cage. There is also a bromeliad and a miniature schefflera. I am going to add another broom or orchid to the back wall, and another plant down bottom. All are washed and replanted in organic soil and covered with stones. I was also thinking of adding some bright moss to the back wall, and a branch or two. Any suggestions on how to do that? Also I seen to be infested with knats!!! Whats the best way to take care of this problem? Sand on the top half inch of plant soil?

heres some pics. Sorry for poor quality, lighting was tough.

Attachments

• 20141117-DSC_0002.jpg
    20141117-DSC_0002.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 20141117-DSC_0003.jpg
    20141117-DSC_0003.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20141117-DSC_0005.jpg
    20141117-DSC_0005.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 20141117-DSC_0006.jpg
    20141117-DSC_0006.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 132
The gnats might be due to too much moisture. Two nozzles might be overkill in a cage that size. I only run one nozzle for my 3ft x 2ft x 6ft cage and it's plenty of mist for all the plants. The pothos will grow really quickly, so they should fill out very nicely. I think you are set with plant life and humidity retention and don't need the moss on the back wall. The branches are really nice - lots of walkways of different diameters.

Welcome to the forums and congrats on a nice enclosure! One thought - you can use some half-round or flat stock wood trim to hide the raw edge of the screen. That might really polish up the details.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling it was too much with the misting. I'll have to reposition the nozzle so it gets more of the back. I'll definitely put the trim on. I hate the raw screen, especially since I can't cut it straight lol.

TLDR but judging from how you went all out and the pics it looks BOSS!

your new cham will be a lucky one with a great home good luck!

Back
Top Bottom