Cage climbing why?

JamesB88

Established Member
I just added a few more plants and branches in my veileds enclosure and out of all the pathways he has he chooses to climb the side of his cage, never on the top of the cage just up and down the sides. Anything I can do to prevent this, I know it can't be good for there nails. Is this common? He's done this before in the past but now I catch him almost everyday climbing the screen.

Mine does this. I have never seen him get stuck, and if he has any trouble, he just wiggles his foot till it comes loose. I wouldn't worry about it. That's why these critters don't do well in glass enclosures. They don't understand they can't climb glass, so that stresses them out. I wouldn't worry at all. I have even had my cham fall asleep hanging from the roof of his cage at lights out!

He may also just be leery of the new plants, and is choosing what he knows as the "safe" route.
I'm thinking that he's just getting use to it as well like you said he's just leery of all the new plants and branches. Thanks for the reply I just wanted to make sure his nails weren't going to get ripped out from the climbing. It's kind of upsetting to see all the time invested in setting his enclosure up with new branches and he uses the damn cage lol.

Thanks again!

LOL! I know. It's like the kid with the present. They like the box better than what's INSIDE the box!o_O
Overkill with the branches and plants?

Attachments

• IMG_2117.JPG
    IMG_2117.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 119
IMHO, I would add a little more. I think I have some pictures on my profile of my cage setup. I would probably add some sort of ivy/trailing plant like a pothos to the bottom of the enclosure and train the vines to grow up the branches. It's a little sparse near the bottom half. You can never have too many plants!

IMHO, I would add a little more. I think I have some pictures on my profile of my cage setup. I would probably add some sort of ivy/trailing plant like a pothos to the bottom of the enclosure and train the vines to grow up the branches. It's a little sparse near the bottom half. You can never have too many plants!
I've got one pothos at the top it's only been a month since I've had it and it's been growin pretty fast I've been weaving some of those vines downward but I never thought to put one lower and have vines go upward, great idea! I'll check out your enclosure on you profile for some more ideas thanks !!!

I've got one pothos at the top it's only been a month since I've had it and it's been growin pretty fast I've been weaving some of those vines downward but I never thought to put one lower and have vines go upward, great idea! I'll check out your enclosure on you profile for some more ideas thanks !!!
LOL! Plants grow up, toward's the light! :ROFLMAO:

LOL! Plants grow up, toward's the light! :ROFLMAO:
This is true lol I know I had plants on the bottom he just kept crapping in them and it was a pain to clean but I think I'll suspend another pothos like u said and try that out, I've been wanting to get rid of the one dracaena that I have anyway!

I honestly don't worry too much about the poops on the leaves. Eventually, they fall off or get washed off from misting, and then I just sweep up the floor of the cage, every so often. And if the poop falls into the dirt, consider it free fertilizer!

My new 2 month old veiled climbs on the screen. then again it could be because he has only been in this enclosure for two days lol. Hes still settling in but today I noticed the only time he was climbing the screen was when I stuck my hands in to put food in the feeder cup. He bolted (as fast as he could lol) from his basking spot on a vine to the back corn on the screen.

So your cham could just be getting used to the new additions to his home as suggested above.

Back
Top Bottom