Cage burning

Perceus

I have a screen cage with a dome hanger above it so my little one doesnt get too hot. Well....just saw that the heat from the bulb (which is a 75W basking bulb) has melted some of my plastic on the cage. Should i just put my dome light on the screen and have a branch 6 " under instead??

I'm sort of confused. Are you saying the lamp goes into the cage and the dome hangs down into the cage for your chameleon to hang on? If so, that is really not safe at all.

Almost everyone we know, ourselves included, have the heat lamp on top of the cage, on the outside, with a perch at least 6 inches away from the heat source. Can you post a picture of your set up?

You can raise your dome a couple of inches above the screen so it is not laying on it. What do you mean it burned the plastic? What plastic are you talking about, the screen got burned?

new at this...dont know if the pic is attached or not.

Attachments

• DSC01176.jpg
    DSC01176.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 217
the basking spot...with bulb hanging...was 82-83.

the edge on the top of the cage (rim) melted.

Hi..what kind of cham do you have and how old?? What are the dimensions of the cage. Kinda hard to tell how big it is from the pic.
Natalie

I think the cage is like 18x12...something like that...not too big. he is a panther ambilobe. Born in beginning of December

It sounds like your heat source is too hot for your baby cham. He's only about 1 1/2 to 2 mos old. His basking temp (measured right on the basking branch or area) should be 78-80 degrees for such a young baby. 75 wats is too hot...move down to a 60 wat and adjust his basking temp by moving the lamp closer or farther from the basking area. The most helpful thing you can do is to fill out the "How to Ask for Help" form below. This will help forum members to check out your setup and then to tweak things here and there to prevent problems that might happen in the future. Closeup pics are helpful too :)

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

That cage is awfully small. I know you chameleon is young but that is still a small cage. When do you plan on upgrading the cage size?

I just went upstairs to measure...i was wrong..woopsie! It is 18x20. I was told it would be ok for the little guy until he is 8 months? Im gathering that this is not true.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther Ambilobe, Male, 2 months, 2 days[/B]
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Have not handled him yet
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? small crickets,12, am/pm, greens, orange cube by flukers.
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?Using the schedule given to me by Kammerflage chameleons
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? drip system..will be getting the mist king shortly, yes he has drank
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? not sure if i have seen droppings...they could be white. have not tested yet.
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought from Kammerflage Chameleons

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 18x18x20
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? reptisun 5.0, 75w basking lite, on for 12 hours
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? cage floor is around 75, basking is 85, have two thermometers by zoomed
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?humidity is 60,have two live plants (chamy safe), have humidity gauge, misting
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? bought from petco..chamy safe and tropical...but didnt have type
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? air vent closed, cage in open amoir (for now), about 4 feet off floor
* Location - Where are you geographically located? Southern California

How am i doing? he is eating and drinking like a champ

a cham born in december.....that cage is plenty fine for the time being. your temps are good 2. do you mist the cage at all? cant tell by the pictures\are you using any substrate on the floor of the cage? for the most part id say your doing well!!

Back
Top Bottom