Cage burning

Everything else looks good. The only thing I would suggest is using a 60wat instead of the 75wat bulb. 85 is too high for a 2 month old. His temps should be between 78-82 max.

I too was worried my basking light would melt the Reptarium. I had a bunch of metal screen tops left over when I moved most my snakes from aquariums to cages. So I use the tops to suspend the lights a bit above the plastic. Seems to work fine even when the reflectors feel very hot.

You might try covering up the areas of the cage that are melting. You can use masonite or cardboard, cut it to fit and then put aluminium foil on the side that faces the bulb. Just set it on top.

You really want to do something because your chameleon might brush up against the hot plastic and get burned.

Is my baby smart enough to move out of the heat if he get too hot??:confused:

I wouldn't give it so much credit. Do whatever is ness immeadiately to ensure your setup is safe and not a fire hazzard, being caught in choking smoke and burning to death is not a pleasant thought. Also ensure your lizard simply cannot get too hot, "common sense" is often sadly,none too common!
Measure temperatures accurately. 'Dodgy-ing" up fixtures is not worth your life or your lizards, either your bulb is too hot or/and the lamp to close, just find a safer method...please, for your sake. :)

I use the analogy of a sunburn...it doesn't feel bad while you're getting it, it's just hours later that you realize you charred your nose.

Just got a smaller dome and a 50w bulb :). He looks so good today and even took a cricket from me...woohooo! Im on cloud nine!

yes, that cage is ok for now if he is like two months old. At about 4- 5 months I would think about getting him a bigger cage. You can move him right into an adult cage. Get a 24 X 24 X48 screen enclsosure. At 8 months he will be WAY too big for that cage!!!

Back
Top Bottom