Cage Building Tips

I have compiled some tips for those of you that build cages, or want to but do not know how. Please not that myself nor my father are carpenters, in fact we are as everyone jokes, "Crapenters". However, that doesn't mean that over the last few cage designs and revisions that we haven't made progression in ideas and the way we implement them. Hopefully there are some of you who can pick up some of these random tips and put them to good use- though some may be common knowledge for those with at least some understanding of carpentry or woodworking.

My favourite type of wood to build with are either 2x2s or 2x1s Pine. Rough cut for utility cages, or fine cut for display cages. This is thin, soft wood, so be sure to check the straightness of it when picking pieces. Don't be afraid to look through 100 pieces to pick out 20 of them in the store.

My favourite mesh is hard to say... For the tops where heat lamps rest upon I recommend either Aluminum Mesh Screen or Metal Hardware Cloth (without plastic coating).
For the sidewalls I recommend either a Petscreen or a painted Fiberglass mesh screen.
Use a sealant (Urethan has no fumes like silicone does, it's also stiffer) to go around the edges of mesh to insure bugs don't squeeze through. Use staples to secure it down though.

If walls are needed, and transparency is not an issue, walls can be made from corrugated plastic. This has been the miracle material to many cages of mine and others. Cheap, lightweight, strong, yet flexible. Easily cut with an exacto knife. Washes easily.

Paint: I use Indoor Latex Solventless-Odor Free Paint. It has a really rubbery feel after a couple coats, which is nice in my opinion and it also dries and cures fairly fast. Water beads on it. To further ensure the longterm use of your cage and prevent water damage, I suggest using Urethane sealant to caulk the edges of wood, or fill gaps.

The Cross-Halving Joint:
-Strength & Support
-Flush frames
Tools Required: Miter, Glue, Drill, screw Driver

crosshalfjointha9.gif

Support your corners!
They are the crucial point for structure and stability of the cage. Who wants a wobbly cage.
Use glue, screws (No nails!), braces.

cornerbn4.jpg

Misting Systems
-Take into mind that nozzles have a distance and spread mesurement. Mine are 18" wide spray at 36" below nozzle. So, to avoid the spray from exiting the walls, the cage if only 36" tall would have to be wider than 18x18". Orrrr If the cage was 18x18", then it would need to be less than 36" tall.
-I place the nozzle brace off to one side so that the area where the heat lamp fixture is put, is not over top of it.
-Plastic Nozzles generally come in two parts that screw together. These can be sandwiched around a piece of wood if it is thin enough. Use a spade bit to thin out a circular area in the wood in order to achieve a thickness where the nozzle pieces can join.
mistingiq8.gif

Keeping them off the Screen!
-Protects screen from damage from plant or chameleon
-Protects your poor chameleons nails and toes from injury
Materials: Staples, Plastic link fencing.

plasticfencingwallsip5.gif

(as seen in the photo, I was experimenting with thin, perforated, fabric walls in cages.)

Last edited:
Wow, thank you Will,

One of my upcoming projects is to build a cage, something fun and nice to do. Now that you have posted this I am following your directions. Thanks again.

I like the screen idea. Maybe you could get some vining plants to grow into it. That would look awesome.

It was awesome, except when I wanted to move that plant to another place...

Right now I have some philodendron growing right out out the front mesh of a cage, I couldn't pull it back inside because it sprouted nice new leaves outside the cage, so, I just threaded it back in again.

Actually I think Heika has some neat photos of plants escaping the cage...

I have not seen any like that there...they have this really small stuff..but nothing on a diamond pattern like that. I havent tried home depot.

Great pics and ideas.

I have compiled some tips for those of you that build cages, or want to but do not know how. Please not that myself nor my father are carpenters, in fact we are as everyone jokes, "Crapenters". However, that doesn't mean that over the last few cage designs and revisions that we haven't made progression in ideas and the way we implement them. Hopefully there are some of you who can pick up some of these random tips and put them to good use- though some may be common knowledge for those with at least some understanding of carpentry or woodworking.

My favourite type of wood to build with are either 2x2s or 2x1s Pine. Rough cut for utility cages, or fine cut for display cages. This is thin, soft wood, so be sure to check the straightness of it when picking pieces. Don't be afraid to look through 100 pieces to pick out 20 of them in the store.

My favourite mesh is hard to say... For the tops where heat lamps rest upon I recommend either Aluminum Mesh Screen or Metal Hardware Cloth (without plastic coating).
For the sidewalls I recommend either a Petscreen or a painted Fiberglass mesh screen.
Use a sealant (Urethan has no fumes like silicone does, it's also stiffer) to go around the edges of mesh to insure bugs don't squeeze through. Use staples to secure it down though.

If walls are needed, and transparency is not an issue, walls can be made from corrugated plastic. This has been the miracle material to many cages of mine and others. Cheap, lightweight, strong, yet flexible. Easily cut with an exacto knife. Washes easily.

Paint: I use Indoor Latex Solventless-Odor Free Paint. It has a really rubbery feel after a couple coats, which is nice in my opinion and it also dries and cures fairly fast. Water beads on it. To further ensure the longterm use of your cage and prevent water damage, I suggest using Urethane sealant to caulk the edges of wood, or fill gaps.

The Cross-Halving Joint:
-Strength & Support
-Flush frames
Tools Required: Miter, Glue, Drill, screw Driver

crosshalfjointha9.gif

Support your corners!
They are the crucial point for structure and stability of the cage. Who wants a wobbly cage.
Use glue, screws (No nails!), braces.

cornerbn4.jpg

Misting Systems
-Take into mind that nozzles have a distance and spread mesurement. Mine are 18" wide spray at 36" below nozzle. So, to avoid the spray from exiting the walls, the cage if only 36" tall would have to be wider than 18x18". Orrrr If the cage was 18x18", then it would need to be less than 36" tall.
-I place the nozzle brace off to one side so that the area where the heat lamp fixture is put, is not over top of it.
-Plastic Nozzles generally come in two parts that screw together. These can be sandwiched around a piece of wood if it is thin enough. Use a spade bit to thin out a circular area in the wood in order to achieve a thickness where the nozzle pieces can join.
mistingiq8.gif

Keeping them off the Screen!
-Protects screen from damage from plant or chameleon
-Protects your poor chameleons nails and toes from injury
Materials: Staples, Plastic link fencing.

plasticfencingwallsip5.gif

(as seen in the photo, I was experimenting with thin, perforated, fabric walls in cages.)
you do nice work...not crap at all

did you use jigs when you used the router or did you wing it? also i cant find the plastic sheeting to make bariers and hold in humidity any advice where to get it?

As you can see if you look closely, we used some securely clamped 1x2s to create a "track" where the router could not pass and make the cutout too large.

The plastic sheeting is called Coroplast. I purchase it in 4'x8' sheets at Home Depot. I have seen it in smaller sheets (2x4') at Rona though.

I'm going to be building new cages right away...any chance you have step by step photos, as well as shots of the end? I'm looking at this and trying to figure out where to start and what the end result would be. Thanks...much appreciated!

Matt has contacted me with difficulties locating a source for the Green Plastic Fence (diamond shape) that I have used. If anyone knows of any websites that sell it online, please help by posting them. If anyone lives in the area, or in Ohio at all, maybe you can post some retail locations that sell them, or even some store brands that have them in your area that might be able to order it in for him.

Lastly, maybe there is a suitable alternative to it, without using plastic coated hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom