CA power outage :(

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Hey everyone so I woke up to no power and the little info I can get via phone saying it could be Thursday or Friday before pg&e restores power to the 500,000 effected.

So I don’t know what the heck to do about Beman. I have no way to have any electrical running. I can hand mist, he is in a room with 3 huge windows so I could pull them all open to simulate daytime but it will not get above 65 in the house today so he is not going to get heat. So I am at a loss for what I should do.

Advice please...

Sorry to hear that becca, pain in the ass! Good news though is he will be fine. He has plenty of vit d3 stored to get him through that time so uvb is no issue. As for the heat, they can handle cool periods no problem, I would fast him during this, maybe just throw a hornworm or something similar that is easy to digest+hydrating. So no worries, he'll get through like nothing happened :)

Ahh s*** hun I'm so sorry -- you can get a small generator from Home Depot for a couple of hundred bucks and use that to plug his heat into

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Port...nt=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-568502590062&psc=1

If you have the money to spare I'm sure that could come in use, but honestly, way overkill if you're trying to save. It is not necessary for chameleons to have heat at all times, as long as it's not for a very long time(weeks-months) and that the temp doesnt go into the low 40s or 30s they'll do fine. It is possibly even good for them to slow the metabolism once in a while. That change up in temperatures seems to perk chams up. Part of the reason why I think they do so well living outside.

Ahh s*** hun I'm so sorry -- you can get a small generator from Home Depot for a couple of hundred bucks and use that to plug his heat into

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Port...nt=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-568502590062&psc=1
No Home Depot or Lowe’s anywhere near me.. I live in a tiny area. The local hardware store I’m sure has been cleaned out. I had no idea that they were turning it off for days.... I thought it was just overnight. 500,000 people effected north of San Fran and there is potential for another 300,000 that may still be effected by a turn off.... I hate pg&e... they should have said it would be days for those of us that do not have cable to get the news.

Sorry to hear that becca, pain in the ass! Good news though is he will be fine. He has plenty of vit d3 stored to get him through that time so uvb is no issue. As for the heat, they can handle cool periods no problem, I would fast him during this, maybe just throw a hornworm or something similar that is easy to digest+hydrating. So no worries, he'll get through like nothing happened :)
James should I open the windows and uncover his cage or do you think it would be less stressful to keep it like it’s night???? I don’t know if our pet store will be open. I have to go try to see if I can even get cash out of the bank because I only use my debt card...

If you have the money to spare I'm sure that could come in use, but honestly, way overkill if you're trying to save. It is not necessary for chameleons to have heat at all times, as long as it's not for a very long time(weeks-months) and that the temp doesnt go into the low 40s or 30s they'll do fine. It is possibly even good for them to slow the metabolism once in a while. That change up in temperatures seems to perk chams up. Part of the reason why I think they do so well living outside.

Good point. I have one for camping and I keep it with the emergency gear. Winters here get nasty and if my heat went out again I'd be f'd.

James should I open the windows and uncover his cage or do you think it would be less stressful to keep it like it’s night???? I don’t know if our pet store will be open. I have to go try to see if I can even get cash out of the bank because I only use my debt card...

I'd give him the regular day/night schedule with windows open, it'll just be like a chilly day for him. He might slow down, completely normal and nothing to be alarmed of

Good point. I have one for camping and I keep it with the emergency gear. Winters here get nasty and if my heat went out again I'd be f'd.

Yeah, generators are great, I'd like to get one myself eventually, but I wouldn't break the bank over it.

The one I have is similar to the one I posted and was under $200. I would suggest going for a solar charge--the panels are better made these days and dont take too long to charge, plus dont need gas or electricity to run.
I think I will look into options for the future from what I have found this may be pg&e’s new way since they suck.

i said it once and I’ll say it a million more times %#+! Pg&e they better not turn off my power.

sorry love that sucks ❤
It looks like there is a chance that they will turn off homes south of San Fran in certain areas... fingers crossed your not affected.

I bet, I'd be pissed lol
I am they made it sound like it was going to be an overnight thing in the email I got yesterday... I would have prepared better had I known. The only thing we have is hot water. No heat, electricity, or WiFi. They even have school today here and it was 45 degrees outside when I dropped off Alora. No power there either. She has a tennis match tomorrow that she would not be eligible to play in if she didn’t go today. I am starting to hate Cali.

I am they made it sound like it was going to be an overnight thing in the email I got yesterday... I would have prepared better had I known. The only thing we have is hot water. No heat, electricity, or WiFi. They even have school today here and it was 45 degrees outside when I dropped off Alora. No power there either. She has a tennis match tomorrow that she would not be eligible to play in if she didn’t go today. I am starting to hate Cali.
06408102-31C4-4506-918E-B7DD7498F227.jpeg

awe, sorry to hear about your power loss. So I guess they have to wait until the wind dies down or it rains?

Back
Top Bottom