busy week

zeechiller

Zee has had a busy week last week. On Wed i took him to my daughter's third grade class. They loved him and he loved it. On sat we went camping with the two dogs, 2 kids, my sister-in-law and mother-in-law and Zee. He again had a great time. He even climbed up on my shoulder. One time he did it i thought it was a bug and grabbed him and almost crushed him. :D

Zee has had a busy week last week. On Wed i took him to my daughter's third grade class. They loved him and he loved it. On sat we went camping with the two dogs, 2 kids, my sister-in-law and mother-in-law and Zee. He again had a great time. He even climbed up on my shoulder. One time he did it i thought it was a bug and grabbed him and almost crushed him. :D

This seems to be an extreme amount of unneeded stress on your chameleon. I can understand the taking the cham to a classroom for educational purposes. The crawling to your shoulder is their normal action to get as high as they possibly can away from other things. I don't think he "loved" it as much as you might think he did, those would be very stressful environments for an animal that is arboreal and solitary. He can see the trees that would allow him to climb higher and really get away, but he just can't get to them.....

i agree, that this was alot of uneeded attention for the chameleon, but at the same time, not all animals are the same. and it could very well be that he did enjoy going camping.

id still refrain from ANY site/interaction with other family pets..

small children is always a bad idea in my book. but as long as you have the proper control of the situation, it'd be a good learning experience.

honestly no more stressful then a reptile expo were animals are bought/sold /transported for up to 2 days of stress.

I almost think this thread is a joke.
Are you kidding?
I hope so for the sake of your chameleon.

-Brad

zee has had a busy week last week. On wed i took him to my daughter's third grade class. They loved him and he loved it. On sat we went camping with the two dogs, 2 kids, my sister-in-law and mother-in-law and zee. He again had a great time. He even climbed up on my shoulder. One time he did it i thought it was a bug and grabbed him and almost crushed him. :d

???????????

i almost think this thread is a joke.
Are you kidding?
I hope so for the sake of your chameleon.

-brad

I hope so as well.

playpen worthy post.....;)

-jay

agreed! ( I know I just added to it but is this post for real???)

i dunno, Lots of trees, cool temperatures, some nice sun, some light climbing in small bushes... who knows....

as long as he isn't being messed with to much..

im just saying. Not that i agree in the situation BUT! you never know.

A classroom full of kids? "Camping" with 2 dogs, 2 kids, a sister-in-law and a mother-in-law?

The more a chameleon is left alone by himself, the less stressed he will be and the healthier he will be. Poor chameleon :(

honestly no more stressful then a reptile expo were animals are bought/sold /transported for up to 2 days of stress.

True, but after that (if the new owners know anything about chameleons), they go to their "forever home" cages and stay there.

The post was no joke he was not stressed in any way at school. he liked when the kids were watching him. he did get alittle scared when they got too close, ie 1 foot away from him.(he thought they might tough him, i told them they could not.) As for the camping he enjoyed being outdoors. He would perch on my hand so he could look around to see what was going on. He likes people. I would not hurt him anyway. I treat him like a baby. The dogs were not near him. They have seen him sort of. I don't let them too close because he is still small.

the kids are watching

we are all degreed individuals with years of experience.

It only takes 3 yrs of working with these animals to be able to advise and educate, heck it doesnt even have to be 3 yrs of focus on the same species, or even the same animal for that matter.

We study these animals for a living not just a hobby, but more importantly we know everything about your care, and even more importantly your specific animal.

because were are perfect and have never made a mistake we can be as rude as we want.

The reputable breeders that we got some of our animals from, but more importantly all of our knowledge from, list some animals for sale as friendly, or outgoing.

But despite that, it is impossible for you to have a chameleon that gets far less stressed out then the average. Its not like you hear about chameleons that climb right over the the front of the cage when keepers near, and never have we heard of chameleons that climb right onto a keepers hand and arm with no signs of stress.

this does have to be a joke, next you'll be saying its possible to treat your chameleon like this and have it live a long full life,

that is just simply absurd!!!!! boulder dash even.

next your expect us to think your chameleon will live to be 7.

like in this post

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-veils-life-dog-14296/

and you'll have us trying to believe posts like
reyesjoshuacruz -- that other post was the same guy. Yes he has to sleep at the foot of the bed. No questions about it. He won't go to sleep unless we take him there. A couple of weeks ago we go back late and he was on the trampoline (fell or crawled down from the tree) just sitting on the edge watching the door for us to come take him to bed.

He's 6.9 months old. We have to hand feed him. His tongue still works but he misses and gets upset. I just hand feed him and he's fine. He fires up when he's eating or when we hold him.

or

Thanks everyone. He's my buddy. We've gone on many road trips, hikes and ocean walks together. I tried to teach him to surf but that didn't go too well.

There's a mini photo story in the album dedicated to him. Just click my user name and you'll see it.

i just cant go on....

If he/she was referring to a beardy, Id have smiled at the post and moved on.
No reptile enjoys handling, even if its name is 'smoochie', they do learn to 'tolerate' it, in varying degrees, with a few exceptions, and as always there are exceptions to every rule, a particular animal may be more tolerant than another.
But a fragile, arborial, and from all accounts secretive and solitary animal like a chameleon being carried around like a beardy, is recipe for disaster.

A passing dog barking up a storm at it while its on your shoulder, and maybe it suddenly freaks out and quick as lightening trys to scamper to higher ground (your head) where it encounters a hard and slippery surface (unless your bald, in which case just hard), panics and dives off (a anti-predator response noted in chams).

Broken limbs (too easy done), internal damage to organs, or chewed by said dog......

I think people here are trying to tell you, each in their own way, that any such scenarios
are best avoided. A chameleon is simply more suited to careful and quiet enjoyment at home. :)

we are all degreed individuals with years of experience.

Do we have proof of that?

It only takes 3 yrs of working with these animals to be able to advise and educate, heck it doesnt even have to be 3 yrs of focus on the same species, or even the same animal for that matter.

That is debatable, I've been taking care of reptiles for over 3 years and I'm still learning new things, to be considered an expert you need more credentials then 3 years of experience.

We study these animals for a living not just a hobby, but more importantly we know everything about your care, and even more importantly your specific animal.

Again, this is debatable, though certainly you have more knowledge, you don't know everything.

because were are perfect and have never made a mistake we can be as rude as we want.

WTF? If this is the way you treat people then I don't even know why I'm still on this site. People here want help and advice, but they expect a simple amount of courtesy. Even if they are wrong in their methods. Something tells me you don't have many friends.

But despite that, it is impossible for you to have a chameleon that gets far less stressed out then the average. Its not like you hear about chameleons that climb right over the the front of the cage when keepers near, and never have we heard of chameleons that climb right onto a keepers hand and arm with no signs of stress.

I beg to differ, my chameleon always comes onto my arm, literally running out onto it, with no signs of stress, I never force her to come and she always does. And when I ignore her and focus on another reptile she will "sulk" in the truest sense of the word and wont go near me unless I pamper her with her favourite food. There are not very many chameleons that will do this, but I find that they can also sense when their owners are friendly enough and gentle enough to come out on their own. I'd say your chameleons will never do this for you.

this does have to be a joke, next you'll be saying its possible to treat your chameleon like this and have it live a long full life,

that is just simply absurd!!!!! boulder dash even.

next your expect us to think your chameleon will live to be 7

Maybe their methods weren't the best, maybe it was a little much to go camping, but if the statement is true and the chameleon showed no signs of stress then i would be inclined not to stress, oh I'd leave the cham alone for a long time afterwards, but I doubt it will cut its lifespan so short.

Now, I have had my say, the last thing I will say has nothing to do with this thread. But the amount of negativity and aggression I see on these forums is too much. I now say farewell, and leave to find better sites and better people who do not engage in online bullying, and harassment. Knowledge is power, but power should never be abused.

Farewell, and i hope someone takes these comments under consideration because I assure you, I'm not the only one saying them.

Er..I could be wrong defishy, but I think that was sarcasm was aimed at defending you mate.
aka aimed against those who spoke against you.

Eg

Bring on the 'JJ your mean.." stuff! Sigh

I think they call that "hit and run"... someone needs a hug!!!
The main issue is the health of the cham, that is why we are here.
If you must take something camping maybe you should just stick with the dogs.
Chams are to be " observed ".

Hit N run seems apt, but then there appears no shortage of folk suffering 'thin skin/victim' syndrome either.
I thought post #14 was relatively 'huggy'. :p

Fishy, he was using Wit ant tact to defend you, and sarcasm to make other take a look at what they type and try to see another point of view. He wasn't attacking you :)

Jojackson, you are a baaaad lizard! :)

Do we have proof of that?

That is debatable, I've been taking care of reptiles for over 3 years and I'm still learning new things, to be considered an expert you need more credentials then 3 years of experience.

Again, this is debatable, though certainly you have more knowledge, you don't know everything.

WTF? If this is the way you treat people then I don't even know why I'm still on this site. People here want help and advice, but they expect a simple amount of courtesy. Even if they are wrong in their methods. Something tells me you don't have many friends.

I beg to differ, my chameleon always comes onto my arm, literally running out onto it, with no signs of stress, I never force her to come and she always does. And when I ignore her and focus on another reptile she will "sulk" in the truest sense of the word and wont go near me unless I pamper her with her favourite food. There are not very many chameleons that will do this, but I find that they can also sense when their owners are friendly enough and gentle enough to come out on their own. I'd say your chameleons will never do this for you.

Maybe their methods weren't the best, maybe it was a little much to go camping, but if the statement is true and the chameleon showed no signs of stress then i would be inclined not to stress, oh I'd leave the cham alone for a long time afterwards, but I doubt it will cut its lifespan so short.

Now, I have had my say, the last thing I will say has nothing to do with this thread. But the amount of negativity and aggression I see on these forums is too much. I now say farewell, and leave to find better sites and better people who do not engage in online bullying, and harassment. Knowledge is power, but power should never be abused.

Farewell, and i hope someone takes these comments under consideration because I assure you, I'm not the only one saying them.

omg, my sarcasm is entirely to subtle apparently..

my entire post was sarcastic...........

ill continue with my sarcasm.... ( see beleow )

Chameleons never encounter stress in the wild, in any form, low level, or straight up battles with other chameleons, never!

as a result one can conclude any stress is bad for your chameleon.

we dont strive to keep conditions in captivity as close to nature as possible, and wouldn't dream of stressing out a healthy chameleon, just because mother nature stresses them out doesnt mean its ok..... she prob needs to retire

i could not see a chameleon getting stressed out as a positive thing, even though a chameleon in the wild will encounter, birds, snakes, mammals, and other lizards including chameleons, none of these things will stress them out, only humans......

next we'll be hearing other theories involving seemingly contradicting ideas, like letting your healthy chameleon go hungry every once and a while can be beneficial by providing a stress on a cellular level that acts like a work out.

Back
Top Bottom