Bumps/ Bubbles in Rib bones.. MBD?

I have dubai roaches, stick inscects, silkworms, fruit grubs. And have fed butterworms, the list is endless but that doesnt mean your cham will like them:D Check out Ricks live food, silkworm store , you need chow with silks. Lizard lunch. All good sites.:)

Thanks for your comment :)
Yeah! I do tend to feed my chams and their feeders fruits occasionally, but not often because of the sugars. Though Pierre is definitely a fan of anything green.. he looooves his greens. He's not so much of a fruit fan or ay other type of veg. The feeder insects eat anything though obviously, so he does get the goodness from some of those things. Just not as regularly as I'd like I suppose.

I dont believe I've ever seen mustard greens or dandelion leaves in the grocery store here in aberdeen.. if they do sell them.. they must be packaged under a different name. That.. or im just blind! haha.

Oh my gosh Kate!! I never realised it was possible to get these types of bugs here because they arent natural to our eco system! :eek:
Do you just get them shipped to your home, easy as that?

Totally going to look into expanding Pierre's diet! How exciting! :D

I was looking at your x-rays more. The front arms bones are most definitely curved abnormally. It's not just positioning unfortunately. And I see evidence of callus formation in the hindlimbs as well, which is evidence that the bones weakened enough to either break and heal or get so close to breaking the bone is trying to remodel and prevent a break from happening. I've circled the abnormal areas of the ribs and hindlimbs.

full

Sounds like you're on the right track getting things corrected though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at your x-rays more. The front arms bones are most definitely curved abnormally. It's not just positioning unfortunately. And I see evidence of callus formation in the hindlimbs as well, which is evidence that the bones weakened enough to either break and heal or get so close to breaking the bone is trying to remodel and prevent a break from happening. I've circled the abnormal areas of the ribs and hindlimbs.

Sounds like you're on the right track getting things corrected though!

Thank you so much, ohh my gosh :(
Well this morning I ordered a new UVB bulb.. my vet suggested a D3 12% uvb bulb to accompany his calcium increased diet so I've bought that.
I also ordered Komodo cricket dust without D3 and vetark nutrobal multivitamin. So when I feed him tomorrow I'll dust with both of those.. But I intend to do as suggested and use the calcium without D3 daily and the others every other few weeks.
Tomorrow I intend to go to the health shop kate suggested and I'll make one of sandrachameleon's gutloading mixes and start my feeders on that :)
Also going to work on improving the variety of fruits and veggies I feed Pierre.
It really has broken me to think that I've let him get to the stage he has, I've always been so caught up in the fear of him actually developing MBD that I thought i was doing everything right.
Regardless, its happened.. grr! >- < do you think all of the changes I've made will help stop the condition in it's tracks?
Can you recommend anything else?
I am going to be upgrading him to a 6ft tall by 3ft deep vivarium when i get the funds together so he's no longer in that glass eco terra viv i have him in just now. Though his upgrade will take me a few months to put together, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything within my power at the moment to give him the best possible chance of a top quality of life.

Don't beat yourself up over this. You have come for help and you are doing your utmost to correct things.. I did message you when in bed last night but don't think think it went. Sorry. The reptile shops in Aberdeen are still learning how to look after chams. Fortunately I have had two separate veileds that were supplemented solely with Nutrobol and needless to say they didn't live very long. I went outwith Aberdeen and learned so much. Then I found this forum and an still learning. Did you find sandrachameleons gut load blogs? I use a superb vet at Asgrove. What he doesn't know he will email Dicks Vet School in Edinburgh for advice. Did you find links for different worms?:)

I guess it's just because he's my first cham and I love him to bits, the idea of him living in pain just upsets me. But I guess regardless he just gets on with it and enjoys his adventures.. Such a strong wee lad! :)

Yeah! Sorry, I did get your reply! Forgot to message you back, whoops!
Hmm.. Yeah, Although after this ordeal it's made me question whether or not they should be allowed to supply chameleons if they're unable to provide important information on general husbandry.. I mean.. being a newbie owner.. I never thought of the D3 issue. The fact they told me the D3 supplement was all I'd ever need leaves me fuming too since its something so simple to avoid. Grr! :(
Aww noo.. I'm so sorry to hear about your chams :(
I think I might change my vet to yours.. Especially with Pierre having mbd.. I need someone I know can treat him with the correct veterinary care.
Not that my current vet doesn't do that.. but I have felt as though they don't take chameleons very seriously. My example being when I took Pierre to him around 8 months ago about a curve in his spine(I feared MBD), he refused to xray him as he was convinced it was just muscle growing round his spine at an angle and sent me off with antibiotics instead. :l

Yes! I did! :) I've had them bookmarked for a long time actually, my only problem has been sourcing the fancy ingredients we dont seem to be able to get ahold of in mainstream supermarkets. I'm not much of a veggie/ nuts eater so I just don't know where to look in aberdeen so your advice has been a godsend! :D
I'm headed out on a mission tomorrow to see if i can get everything i need from the grampian health foods place you mentioned :)
I had a wee nosy about on the rickslivefood site and ive seen a few feeders i might try, but didnt see silkworms on there.
Where else do you buy bugs and worms from?

Silkworm store for silks . Ricks do haves eggs but you would be better to start with a few worms as they need to be kept clean and fed. Check pigglett79 blogs. Let us know how you get on.:)

Back
Top Bottom