Bump on my veileds lip

Chameleon Nation

Avid Member
This is Marvin. I have had Marvin for about 8 years now and just recently started to develop a bump on his lip. Now in the last few months it has slowed down a bit, but I'm still a little worried. I've had a few people tell me that it could be an abscess which is something (like a cricket leg) getting stuck in the gums. Some say it could be a Calcium deposit. Any inputs on what anyone out there think it is???

Last edited:
Looks like an abcess to me. Abcesses are infections. I would take him to the vet as soon as you can.

it looked like an abscess.
You just need to go to a vet and have it cleaned.
And the doctor will probably gave you an antibiotics.
and woww.. 8 years, huh?
that is impressive. You must have done something right :)
kudos for you.

I hope your friend will recover soon.
Keep us updated.

abcess

I def. think that's an abcess. Chameleons, well reptiles in general are very good at localizing infections in their body. If you feel on the bump does it feel like something is inside of it, kind of pimply like? What they'll do at the vet's office is they'll cut a small football shaped hole in the bump and drain all of the "cheese" out of it and then give it antibiotics and also give you a topical antibiotic to clean the wound with. You may also have to drain the wound yourself if more cheesy stuff builds in it, But don't worry because you'll have the topical antibiotic to clean put on it anyways.

and yah an 8 yr old veiled is quite the geezer. That's crazy. I doubt the abcess has slowed your cham down at all, i'm sure it's just his very old age.... He looks great for how old he is!

Maybe it could be a tumor? I would have thought that an abcess would have become more serious in that length of time. Just my thoughts...you need a vet to tell you.

Maybe it could be a tumor? I would have thought that an abcess would have become more serious in that length of time. Just my thoughts...you need a vet to tell you.

That's what I was thinking, but have no experience with this.
It made sense to me primarily because of the age of the chameleon.
What does it feel like? is it soft or hard?
Definitely would like to know the results of the vet visit.

-Brad

That's what I was thinking, but have no experience with this.
It made sense to me primarily because of the age of the chameleon.
What does it feel like? is it soft or hard?
Definitely would like to know the results of the vet visit.

-Brad
The bump feels hard. But because of his age I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take him to the vet. If the vet has to make an incision, Marvin might not take to well to that. Ultimately giving up on his life and that would suck man because I have had him for so long. If he dies all that money on an 8 year old veiled down the drain. I don't want him to suffer though, so I'm a little stuck as to what I should do!

tumor

if it's a tumor it would be good to know, and i wouldn't say it's money wasted, you have everything you need for a new veiled if he passes. I know what you mean tho. If it's an abcess it'll probably feel alot better to him if he gets teh crap out of it

i seen something that looked like that on a veiled on this shabby pet store by my house. it was givin to them by a family friend, but they didnt care to take care of their pets well. they had him in a 10 gal fish tank with bark at the bottom and one bendi vine. one of the guys that worked there said he was going to lance it and drain it. after a couple days i went back to check on it to see how it was doing and the hole area where it was was all black, maybe because of the dying tissue. he siad it was pussy stuff, and it came out near the eye mostly. where the bump was it was hard. he als oput honey on the wound to heal it? i dont no if that helped it or did nothing but they didnt plan on giving it antibiotics. i never went back in to that place because i tried giving them advice how they should keep him so he wont be so stressed, but they didnt want to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom