Built my own DIY cage

jedijon

Built a cage out of 1x2 lumber from the home store.

Hardest part was figuring out how to make the corners. Basically all half lap joints.

I ripped thinner boards to form a door - open mortis joints in three thicknesses because that was easy to tablesaw.

Then, before I assembled and stained it, I grooved channels to hold the screen with regular rubber tubing - the screen is 3 pieces. One for the top, one continuous around the sides/rear, and one for the door.

It’s screwed onto the flange of a Rubbermaid tray—this is a few “ deep and has a false bottom.

Arranged the sticks into a structure and hot glued together. Then mixed up soil blend and planted. Fun project—and interesting start for first chameleon.

Attachments

• EF954246-FEE1-492B-ABBD-753057A703C6.jpeg
    EF954246-FEE1-492B-ABBD-753057A703C6.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 805DBCE1-2EB7-4FC9-A9B7-E52C07550D21.jpeg
    805DBCE1-2EB7-4FC9-A9B7-E52C07550D21.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 48281981-B285-489B-BD71-6986B9E91DA7.jpeg
    48281981-B285-489B-BD71-6986B9E91DA7.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 05AE3E68-E279-4881-9505-3A31D6BAA175.jpeg
    05AE3E68-E279-4881-9505-3A31D6BAA175.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 137
  • CF6DFCD5-DF9B-4C62-B06F-9374C5F9F214.jpeg
    CF6DFCD5-DF9B-4C62-B06F-9374C5F9F214.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 5994DE4D-7539-4EFC-9242-3DD14CF1F554.jpeg
    5994DE4D-7539-4EFC-9242-3DD14CF1F554.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 139
  • ECC62F77-98EE-4F13-B56B-4D8C4FED060A.jpeg
    ECC62F77-98EE-4F13-B56B-4D8C4FED060A.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 150
  • BCA41AAA-42BB-44A8-9021-D622FDFA959B.jpeg
    BCA41AAA-42BB-44A8-9021-D622FDFA959B.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 163
Looks good OP.

@Daesie11.

You don't have to do the fancy joints, it does look So good though.

Also, if you are not a fan of the sealing of wood. You can do this, with PVC instead. They sell PVC 1x2s at home stores for cheaper than the correct wood. You may have to use 2x as many for strength though, I will likely make an outdoor cage setup from them soon.

It's on my rather long list of things to do. You could also use the larger PVC boards for the drainage area, and tac on PVC boards for solid sides. You can do some fun stuff.

PVC boards are a must know for Chameleon keepers. I am about to make a thread on turning. Reptibreeze into a QT cage basically think DS breeder, solid sides on 3, and I will be showing how to make Dragon Ledges for super cheap too!

Looks good OP.

@Daesie11.

Also, if you are not a fan of the sealing of wood. You can do this, with PVC instead. They sell PVC 1x2s at home stores for cheaper than the correct wood. You may have to use 2x as many for strength though, I will likely make an outdoor cage setup from them soon.

It's on my rather long list of things to do. You could also use the larger PVC boards for the drainage area, and tac on PVC boards for solid sides. You can do some fun stuff.
I have all of my materials purchased already, I plan to start the actual building after my vacation next week.
I'm just nervous because the design I had drawn up is completely inadequate. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and realized I forgot to include a door frame in the design :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and all of a sudden I got very ooverwhelmed have a lot of very handy family members so I'm sure they can get me through it but just thinking about it is very very overwhelming lol

I have all of my materials purchased already, I plan to start the actual building after my vacation next week.
I'm just nervous because the design I had drawn up is completely inadequate. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and realized I forgot to include a door frame in the design :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and all of a sudden I got very ooverwhelmed have a lot of very handy family members so I'm sure they can get me through it but just thinking about it is very very overwhelming lol

You don't need a door frame in the plans.

You build a frame, then the door rides on top, or inside Easy peasy :).

Last edited:
You don't need a door frame in the plans.

You build a frame, then the door rides on top, or inside Easy peasy :).
Cant do it. Does not compute.

I rarely plan something before I build it, you got to let it flow!
Sounds like a great way to waste a lot of time and money :ROFLMAO:
I have an idea Brody. You can show me how you would make an enclosure... but then I'll just take that enclosure and not build one myself :ROFLMAO:

Cant do it. Does not compute.

Sounds like a great way to waste a lot of time and money :ROFLMAO:
I have an idea Brody. You can show me how you would make an enclosure... but then I'll just take that enclosure and not build one myself :ROFLMAO:

What how lol?

Here is what you do. Paint to the rescue!!. BRB going to edit on my Laptop.

What how lol?

Here is what you do. Paint to the rescue!!. BRB going to edit on my Laptop.
I think I kind of understand what you're saying, but also I dont trust that I actually do lol.

I am planning on building a 4x2x4 enclosure, pretty much the exact same design of a large dragon strand atrium. So figuring out how to mount the doors while also have the bottom fixed part is confusing my poor female brain o_O also I havent really slept in 2 days so that might be effecting my ability to think.

I'm smart I swear, i went to college! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Its hard to Paint in Paint. I was trying, but IDK it might take awhile.

Basically like Brody said, make rectangles. For the side walls. Then make Ls for the top and bottom front and back. Then you attach the Ls to the spot where is not screws to hold the sides together. (If you set the Tops to be Ts, you can drop the screen in and hide it).

That easy, pretty much. I have to make one to show everyone step by step. Maybe I will soon TM. I thought about doing it instead of my Reptibreeze conversion, but I don't think I have the time, with everything else I have to do. I'll see.

Its hard to Paint in Paint. I was trying, but IDK it might take awhile.

Basically like Brody said, make rectangles. For the side walls. Then make Ls for the top and bottom front and back. Then you attach the Ls to the spot where is not screws to hold the sides together. (If you set the Tops to be Ts, you can drop the screen in and hide it).

That easy, pretty much. I have to make one to show everyone step by step. Maybe I will soon TM. I thought about doing it instead of my Reptibreeze conversion, but I don't think I have the time, with everything else I have to do. I'll see.
I think it would be an awesome idea to make one to show a step by step! Make a quick video about it. It would help a lot of keepers, not just myself :ROFLMAO:

Looks good OP.

@Daesie11.

PVC boards are a must know for Chameleon keepers. I am about to make a thread on turning. Reptibreeze into a QT cage basically think DS breeder, solid sides on 3, and I will be showing how to make Dragon Ledges for super cheap too!
Heyyyyy when you make the thread for an outdoor one of pvc will you please tag me in it? I think I want to do this instead of wood because we get so much rain here. I think it would hold up much better for my area. And I want to do a really big one lol

Heyyyyy when you make the thread for an outdoor one of pvc will you please tag me in it? I think I want to do this instead of wood because we get so much rain here. I think it would hold up much better for my area. And I want to do a really big one lol
Just screen in your entire backyard and let him go wild

Back
Top Bottom