My DIY "Display Cages" review...

JonRich

Where do i start... Well for the past year or so i have been weaning off of the larger screened cages that i own. I mainly wanted to only keep animals that can be kept in glass enclosures. My plan was to build a rack system that would hold various sized terrariums/vented terrariums to house anything from Geckos, to Dart Frogs, to the smaller species of Chams.

Well i was thrown a curve-ball when i invested in some Bradypodion in the upcoming import with Paul (ShowJet). The more i researched them the more it became a reality that i could/should NOT keep them in glass because they were veryyyy prone to Eye and Respiratory infections.

I like the fact of having at least a glass front, even if the rest of the enclosure was screen. That left me with basically two options (Pen Plax and the new DIY display cages). The Pen Plax eliminated itself when the smallest size was 18x18x20 tall, with the next size up being 18x18x36. It was just too small and then too large..

So on to the DIY Display Cages. They come in two sizes which both work for what i wanted . I have a 48" wide rack, so i was looking for something at least 24" wide so i can fit two side by side per shelf.

I need 4 total. But didn't want to chance ordering 4 of an item i was unsure about. I ended up just ordering two of the 18x24x18 and they came in yesterday..

Pixxx, because who doesn't like pix???:D

Box came in wellll packed.. 56lbs, bit heavy but they kids didn't care. Kids love boxes!!
DIY.jpg

DIY6.jpg

Build time. They were really easy to assemble. So easy even a kid can build one. My 4 year old literally built this one by herself. I just hepled her with the glass doors. (only tool needed was a philipshead screwdriver)
DIY1.jpg

DIY2.jpg

Done and extreamly sturdy. I am beyond impressed with the quality of the materials used on these things. The doors open and close very smooth.
DIY3.jpg

That being said, i have to be honest here. The ONLY thing i did not like was that the screen used was soo thick and black and i chalk it up to quality. But the problem that i have with this is getting lighting through it. I may have to either paint the top screen silver or remove it if possible for something a bit thinner. I think with the screen all painted (even the sides and back) it wont have the cage as dark. I may even have to go up to a 10.0 UVB to get some UVB through the heavy screen.
The hole spacing doesn't seem to be any larger/smaller than standard screen, just in a diamond shape.
DIY4.jpg

On the rack and under two 48" 6500k bulbs.
DIY5.jpg

DIY7.jpg

I will be doing some painting and modding of these cages in the next few days and if it works out i'll order the other 2 i need. These will be the larger 24x24x18 versions.

Overall i was really impressed with them, and if the screen was to be thinner it would be PERFECT!! these also have a 3" waterproof bottom section. I will be fully planting them soon and i will have updated pix.

Last edited:
very nice set up.. looks good :)

chris

Thanks. Still has a lot of work left. I have to fill the bottom shelf and then run the misting system to all the cages (i'll be running two differnt systems because some cages will need more/less than others). Then i want to enclose the whole thing in wood to look like a cabinet.

incase you guys don't know what cages these are. They are DIYCAGES.COM new "Display cages"..

Neat! Looks easy to put together. You have TWO kids? Which was the one I wanted to steal?

lol, Yea i have 2 (2 year old and a 4 year old). I believe it was the 2 year old Sophia you wanted to run off with and i welcome you to try. I must warn you she puts up a good fight. She bites, screams and pulls hair!! Goodluck , lol

Congrats Jon!!! These look great, and I was wondering how they would be. I have some of their screen cages and honestly the thing I like the least is the screen they use so be happy it's a different (sturdier) screening ;) I also think I would have already ordered some of these if the back wasn't screen. Having the misting go out the back just seems to be a disaster for the wall, shelving....whatever. Can't wait to see it all completed :D:D:D

Congrats Jon!!! These look great, and I was wondering how they would be. I have some of their screen cages and honestly the thing I like the least is the screen they use so be happy it's a different (sturdier) screening ;) I also think I would have already ordered some of these if the back wasn't screen. Having the misting go out the back just seems to be a disaster for the wall, shelving....whatever. Can't wait to see it all completed :D:D:D

That's exactlyyyy what I was thinking . I won't be "misting" these cages. I'll be using raindomes. Have the water concentrated to drop straight down in the middle of the cage. I'll be sure to place a nice broad leaf plant right below it. Do some precision hand misting 2 times a day to make sure they have more drinking opportunities . I'll also be making a false floor for these so I can cycle the raindomes more frequent without fear of saturation and keeping the humidity too high. I'm more focused on getting light through the top before anything.

Should be fun once it's done.

Finally got some more work done..

The lighting difference with the top on (left) and with it off (right) is drasticcccc!!! Granted the right one had a false-floor that i made and mocked up. But holy hell , like night and day.
DIYcompare.jpg

Few pix with them both off and both with false-floors mocked up.
DIYALMOST.jpg

DIYALMOST1.jpg

Wow your set up looks really nice and organized, can't wait to see it completed. And those display cages look pretty neat, too bad the top is so dark though :/

Wow your set up looks really nice and organized, can't wait to see it completed. And those display cages look pretty neat, too bad the top is so dark though :/

Thanks Matt. The wife only allows me to use a small area, so i have to make good use of the space.

So a week or so ago i went to a local glass place and they had 1/8" glass instock and i brought the top of the cage ( where the glass will seat) and he cut the glass for me.. Wasn't bad, cost about $30 for the 4 pieces needed. They were 10" tall.
cuttingglass.jpg

The profiles i got from JungleBox. Thanks guys.
profiles.jpg

glassandprofiles.jpg

Got everything home and some test-fitting
assemble.jpg

One cage done. The top 10" is glass. They bottom 18" is screen aside for the front sliding glass doors. I'll be running these open top since the Chams shouldn't be able to climb the 10" glass section.
extension.jpg

Both done and planted with lighting... 48" T8 fixtures with 6500k grow bulb and 48" ReptiSun 5.0 UVB.
Bradycages.jpg

Really nice! I like how you don't even notice the false floor unless you are looking for it. Nicely balanced enclosures! :cool:

Really nice! I like how you don't even notice the false floor unless you are looking for it. Nicely balanced enclosures! :cool:

Thanks. Yea the void can still be seen. Thats why i did a bit of a leaf litter.

I will be using 5% AutoGlass tint to tint the bottom section on the front and sides.

Little update on one if the DIY tanks .

Redid it to house a pair of Uroplatus sikorae .

It's got 1" of hydroton and 2.5" layer of ABG with a LiveOak/Dwarf Magnolia leaf litter. Some vertical tree branches for them to perch on while sleeping during the day (nocturnal gecko) . Unlike the other one thats being used for chameleons. This one I did a screen top because these geckos can climb anything . Just a cut piece of screen that's secured with silicone. I have 2 Schefflera for drinking surface and cover.

Enjoy
3enyredu.jpg

u5aradym.jpg

usaryvun.jpg

y4u8ejah.jpg

Back
Top Bottom