building chameleon trust guide

i have recently got my chameleon to the point of where he trusts me enough that he doesnt get stressed out when i pick him up and he drinks directly from the spray bottle (which i think is important so he i can make sure he gets enough water) so i decided to write this to help people handle their chameleon and get their chameleon to trust them more.

First off i personally got my chameleon when he was small (1-2 months) so i started of feeding with chopsticks (i was kinda scared to touch the crickets hehe but i got used to them, so now i feed with my fingers) he has always taken them from my fingers but if yours doesnt try with chop sticks (preferably wooden) and move your fingers closer each day. my chameleon i got when he was small and when i was at the breeders house the breeder put a couple of them on a stick that i held and he just crawled on my hand which i moved away and he didnt seem to care (he didnt turn his stressed colors) but if yours doesnt like your hand just kinda put your hand in the cage (away from the chameleon) and if it hisses then go back to the chopsticks of drop the crickets in front of its face. I always try to stick my hand in the cage when i spray him to have him realize that the hand isnt going to hurt him and i try and interact with him in someway then i would bring it up to his face and spray it gently so it doesnt spray him in the face.

Try making this part of your system and if you didnt read the whole thing i break it down for you

feed with chopsticks and move hands closer to the end as you go on
hand feed
spray while making your hand visible as possible
Bring bottle to face and spray gently
repeat daily and your chameleon will realize that the hand doesnt hurt him
***FREE RANGE IF POSSIBLE*** i believe they get used to you faster if they are around more and it makes them less stressed when interacted with
if your chameleon is hissing you just take a step back and go back to the step before

i hope this helps you interact with your chameleon more and feel free to correct me

Good Luck
-WarmGreenandSlimey

i have recently got my chameleon to the point of where he trusts me enough that he doesnt get stressed out when i pick him up and he drinks directly from the spray bottle (which i think is important so he i can make sure he gets enough water) so i decided to write this to help people handle their chameleon and get their chameleon to trust them more.

First off i personally got my chameleon when he was small (1-2 months) so i started of feeding with chopsticks (i was kinda scared to touch the crickets hehe but i got used to them, so now i feed with my fingers) he has always taken them from my fingers but if yours doesnt try with chop sticks (preferably wooden) and move your fingers closer each day. my chameleon i got when he was small and when i was at the breeders house the breeder put a couple of them on a stick that i held and he just crawled on my hand which i moved away and he didnt seem to care (he didnt turn his stressed colors) but if yours doesnt like your hand just kinda put your hand in the cage (away from the chameleon) and if it hisses then go back to the chopsticks of drop the crickets in front of its face. I always try to stick my hand in the cage when i spray him to have him realize that the hand isnt going to hurt him and i try and interact with him in someway then i would bring it up to his face and spray it gently so it doesnt spray him in the face.

Try making this part of your system and if you didnt read the whole thing i break it down for you

feed with chopsticks and move hands closer to the end as you go on
hand feed
spray while making your hand visible as possible
Bring bottle to face and spray gently
repeat daily and your chameleon will realize that the hand doesnt hurt him
***FREE RANGE IF POSSIBLE*** i believe they get used to you faster if they are around more and it makes them less stressed when interacted with
if your chameleon is hissing you just take a step back and go back to the step before

i hope this helps you interact with your chameleon more and feel free to correct me

Good Luck
-WarmGreenandSlimey

Nice write-up! You're assuming too much in that normal folks can use chopsticks! Lol. Being half Chinese, I don't have a problem with the stix! :p :D

Handling of chams is a popular topic on this forum and new owners always want to know how to gain their chams trust. I like your ideas. I've been lucky with my two new guys in that they don't seem to mind the interaction.

This is good stuff and I'm sure some people will gain some benefits from your info. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom