Bugs in pygmy enclosure?

Ddunk1026

Has anyone else had problems with bugs coming out of pygmy enclosures? I have them in an aquarium with a screen top, organic soil, and live plants. I can see where bugs would be able to breed in the damp environment and soil. The bugs are little black flying beetles and they are taking over the room with the pygmies so I assumed it was coming out of there. How do you get rid of them????

Has anyone else had problems with bugs coming out of pygmy enclosures? I have them in an aquarium with a screen top, organic soil, and live plants. I can see where bugs would be able to breed in the damp environment and soil. The bugs are little black flying beetles and they are taking over the room with the pygmies so I assumed it was coming out of there. How do you get rid of them????

let see some pics of this infestation..
We need to figure out exactly what infest your aquarium before knowing how to get rid of them.
Black flying bettle could be anything.

Can't remember where i've heard of it... BUT I had heard that after obviously removing the chameleons, add a bowl of hot water, a chunk of dry ice, and sealing off the top of the enclosure will fill the enclosure with CO2.. you have to leave it like that for a while, but it will suffocate all the insects in the enclosure.

It probably doesn't help much but this is the best I could do. They are very tiny and don't show up well on my camera.

Attachments

• P6010096.jpg
    P6010096.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 259
Can't remember where i've heard of it... BUT I had heard that after obviously removing the chameleons, add a bowl of hot water, a chunk of dry ice, and sealing off the top of the enclosure will fill the enclosure with CO2.. you have to leave it like that for a while, but it will suffocate all the insects in the enclosure.

hmm interesting but they are all over my room by now. I was wondering more about using vinegar or something like that. Thanks!

lol.. you are right, that doesn't help much. It just looked like black dots.

yes lol you can see how tiny they are! With my untrained eye, I would definitely say they are some kind of beetle judging my their body shape and the crunch when you squish them lol. Does anybody know even some general types to get rid of bugs? I'd try anything...obviously no poisons can be used with the chameleons so I'm at a loss here.

I have em too but they dont look like that. I posted a thing about it awhile back but noone responded... Mine are like the length of lighning bugs..and black. Very ugly.. Ive had them sprout from nowhere soi Im thinking there must have been something in perhaps the plants i bought at the store? (walmart/lowes) because I have used differing soils/none/setups and Im still getting them in my pygmy and frog tank.. I just squish em.. they freak me out..

I have em too but they dont look like that. I posted a thing about it awhile back but noone responded... Mine are like the length of lighning bugs..and black. Very ugly.. Ive had them sprout from nowhere soi Im thinking there must have been something in perhaps the plants i bought at the store? (walmart/lowes) because I have used differing soils/none/setups and Im still getting them in my pygmy and frog tank.. I just squish em.. they freak me out..

I've squished probably 20 just tonight! lol I'm just getting tired of it and really grossed out because they are in my bedroom. I might just have to atleast move them to another room in the house.

Damascus earth is a good cure for mites. It eats at their exoskeleton. Least that's what I've read. Might work for these guys too.

Damascus earth is a good cure for mites. It eats at their exoskeleton. Least that's what I've read. Might work for these guys too.

lol Damascus is the capital city of Syria. :D
You probably mean: Diatomaceous earth

lol Damascus is the capital city of Syria. :D
You probably mean: Diatomaceous earth

I was just getting ready to say that. I've never heard of it, it took me 15 min of searching to find what you were talking about. But thank for the tip, it sound like good stuff :D

Back
Top Bottom