Bubs successfully laid her first clutch

Chamwitch

Hi Cham Fam!

Just wanted to share that my Bubs successfully laid her first clutch.

Size - 34 eggs
12 inch tall bin with 6 inches of clean soil / play sand mix slightly moist.

It took her a few hours overnight and laid her eggs about 4 inches deep wedged between a stick and the side of the bin.

I’d been reading a lot and thought I was doing everything wrong like most new Cham parents do but I guess we are ok 😅

Thanks to everyone on here who shares and helps with husbandry techniques. You are all amazing and appreciated.
8FF6C0ED-226D-46EE-A168-A929E09F1EED.jpeg

Attachments

• BBB7ECE7-0EC9-4012-9662-DF96765CD9D0.jpeg
    BBB7ECE7-0EC9-4012-9662-DF96765CD9D0.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 6FE6FC53-EBCE-41FF-9DF2-1B5AA950091E.jpeg
    6FE6FC53-EBCE-41FF-9DF2-1B5AA950091E.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 44
Yay! Congrats! Are you following ’the diet’ to help reduce your lady’s egg production? If not, doing so should make a big difference and bring the number of eggs she produces down (or maybe even stop production). If you have any questions or feel like you need any help, just ask away. :)
I was definitely over feeding her so I will be placing her on a diet 😏 moving forward as prescribed by so many experts here. 2-3 feeders every other or third day. I’ve read that some of these girls lay over 50 eggs so I am glad she didn’t have so many. Thanks for all the advice and support!

Lol figured id ask but still congrats on the eggs without any complications!😆 guess now you could have some mini easter eggs if you had the fancy of dyeing them lmao😂

I was definitely over feeding her so I will be placing her on a diet 😏 moving forward as prescribed by so many experts here. 2-3 feeders every other or third day. I’ve read that some of these girls lay over 50 eggs so I am glad she didn’t have so many. Thanks for all the advice and support!
I feed my girls (really all of my chameleons) 3-4 feeders 3 days a week (plus occasional treats). I give smaller feeders though…like 1/2 - 3/4”. I keep basking temps no higher than around 80. It took a couple of cycles for this to start working, but now my one veiled girl lays once a year (mid 20’s - mid 30’s egg count) while my other veiled girl hasn’t laid at all since Feb 2020. My panther girl hasn’t ever laid - she’s not quite 1 1/2 yrs old. She’s petite, so she either gets smaller feeders or less than the others.

This was yesterday when I was cleaning out her bin and letting her free roam a bit. She was upset clearly upset with me 😂

It looks like she may have laid all her eggs...which is a good thing...but you will still want to be careful with feeding her for the next batch because you will want to cut the number down-not allow her to increase the number.

I also wanted to look at the legs...and my suspicions have been confirmed...she's developing MBD (or has already had it) and it needs to be treated before she has her next batch of eggs (likely about 120 or so days from now)

Good catch @Sonny13 !
I think you know me too well!😉

I’m glad that all went well. Is she eating and drinking?
I’ve been feeding daily (with calcium no D3) since she laid and she’s eating and drinking. Yesterday she ate a horned worm (I ended up cutting it in Half because it was huge - so gross 😂) and she’s climbing around her enclosure like normal.

How long should I feed her everyday? When should I start her “diet”?

It looks like she may have laid all her eggs...which is a good thing...but you will still want to be careful with feeding her for the next batch because you will want to cut the number down-not allow her to increase the number.

I also wanted to look at the legs...and my suspicions have been confirmed...she's developing MBD (or has already had it) and it needs to be treated before she has her next batch of eggs (likely about 120 or so days from now)

Good catch @Sonny13 !
Her legs were like this when I got her 💔 this is a photo of her the day we left the store with her. How can I treat it?

Attachments

• 2AA0D6BF-64B4-430F-8F29-D93F15992AB4.jpeg
    2AA0D6BF-64B4-430F-8F29-D93F15992AB4.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 39
Po

Good catch @Sonny13 !
Thank you @kinyonga - always so helpful. I posted a photo of her the day I got her at the awful pet store. How do I treat it?

Sorry...had to do something and couldn't come back until now to answer further posts.

Treatment for the MBD is basically always the same....correct the balance between the D3, phos, calcium and vitamin A and give her extra liquid calcium to strengthen the bones, muscles, etc again....and then maintain the proper levels/balance once it's corrected and remove the extra (liquid) calcium.

Back
Top Bottom