Brookesia therezieni over review? 3rd post of the day sorry! Want to make sure I’m on the right track.

18x36x17 40 gallon setup. Just got it finished up today. False bottom, 3 gallon fish tank filter built into background to make a very small river down a siliconed log. It’s on right side. Nowhere deep enough to cause issues and will help with humidity. Background is spray foam sealed with silicon and spaghnum stuck on. Adding a springtail and small isopod culture tomorrow!
So I planted the tank as heavily as I could. There are 2 other carpeting plants out of view, basically going to fill in the bottom with dense growth to compliment the sticks and wood. Have to bromeliads rooted to bark to attach to the right and left side of the background.
I set this vivarium/terrarium up the best I know how, I currently have a full spectrum led grow light over it like a pothead would use in their closet lol. Luckily the organic plants store carried it. Hoping it will jump start the plants and get them rocking and rolling, trimmed back all excess leaves or any dead material to focus on growth. Substrate is eco earth, sand, jungle mix, cypress much, and spaghnum moss mixed together... just what I had around.

After I finally found brookesia in stock thanks to the great people on this forum! I took a close look at the setup and decided it’s dense enough to house 5 therezieni. 2 males, 3 females. I’ll keep an eye on the males and if any issues arise I guess someone on here can get a good deal on a male :) questions below pics———
9A43940E-5D18-49E9-AB79-01FAE77FBDA7.jpeg

9401D2A4-79FA-4E24-8C96-F7F8A9732EB8.jpeg

I’m running the full spectrum lighting for the plants sake. I’d like to run it for a while but I’m not sure when they chams will ship.
As far as this goes will it cause any harm to the chams.
What uvb will I need to switch to after the plants flourish?
My room is kept at 69-72°F, anything I need to do in addition to this? Current full spectrum lighting does not affect this temp.
I have not checked the humidity yet but being that I bucket soaked the soils and moss I’m sure it’s up there.
Desired humidity?
Feeding schedule similar to beardeds?
Sorry if these are dumb but have never had the pleasure of keeping a Brookesia!

I’m sure breeding will occur if the animals feel safe. I never kept my beardeds in a planted setup nor did I ever keep opposite sexes (to avoid breeding) I wasn’t setup to deal with it. With this setup I’m scared I’ll never find any eggs... can they hatch undisturbed?
Thanks!

Hi! hmm i think you might want to get a terrarum little more high than this one (that way you can create shade spot for them. Add smaller twiggs they will really appreciate, increase the draining and drop lot of decaying leaves at the bottom like a rain forest :)

Temperature is good, can be little colder during winter
lot of humidity, add bromeliads so water can stay in the middle where they can drink
eggs can hatch if they are in suitable environement so maybe yeah maybe no make yourself sure your soil is not too soggy and that your temperatures stay stable

Hi! hmm i think you might want to get a terrarum little more high than this one (that way you can create shade spot for them. Add smaller twiggs they will really appreciate, increase the draining and drop lot of decaying leaves at the bottom like a rain forest :)

lot of humidity, add bromeliads so water can stay in the middle where they can drink
eggs can hatch if they are in suitable environement so maybe yeah maybe no make yourself sure your soil is not too soggy and that your temperatures stay stable
Fair and noted, I’ll add more leaves however I’m too deep into this built to switch it up. This is a bad picture and there’s really more twigs throughout as well as shaded overhangs from the back drop I made. 3 inch false bottom and a pretty deep drainage layer then substrate but I hear you and thank you. Reccomendation on uvb?

Fair and noted, I’ll add more leaves however I’m too deep into this built to switch it up. This is a bad picture and there’s really more twigs throughout as well as shaded overhangs from the back drop I made. 3 inch false bottom and a pretty deep drainage layer then substrate but I hear you and thank you. Reccomendation on uvb?
also I’ll get ya a better pic here shortly. Not that it matters. Just so u can see that that many chams have enough room to hide and feel comfortable

18x36x17 40 gallon setup. Just got it finished up today. False bottom, 3 gallon fish tank filter built into background to make a very small river down a siliconed log. It’s on right side. Nowhere deep enough to cause issues and will help with humidity. Background is spray foam sealed with silicon and spaghnum stuck on. Adding a springtail and small isopod culture tomorrow!
So I planted the tank as heavily as I could. There are 2 other carpeting plants out of view, basically going to fill in the bottom with dense growth to compliment the sticks and wood. Have to bromeliads rooted to bark to attach to the right and left side of the background.
I set this vivarium/terrarium up the best I know how, I currently have a full spectrum led grow light over it like a pothead would use in their closet lol. Luckily the organic plants store carried it. Hoping it will jump start the plants and get them rocking and rolling, trimmed back all excess leaves or any dead material to focus on growth. Substrate is eco earth, sand, jungle mix, cypress much, and spaghnum moss mixed together... just what I had around.

After I finally found brookesia in stock thanks to the great people on this forum! I took a close look at the setup and decided it’s dense enough to house 5 therezieni. 2 males, 3 females. I’ll keep an eye on the males and if any issues arise I guess someone on here can get a good deal on a male :) questions below pics———View attachment 302773
View attachment 302774
I’m running the full spectrum lighting for the plants sake. I’d like to run it for a while but I’m not sure when they chams will ship.
As far as this goes will it cause any harm to the chams.
What uvb will I need to switch to after the plants flourish?
My room is kept at 69-72°F, anything I need to do in addition to this? Current full spectrum lighting does not affect this temp.
I have not checked the humidity yet but being that I bucket soaked the soils and moss I’m sure it’s up there.
Desired humidity?
Feeding schedule similar to beardeds?
Sorry if these are dumb but have never had the pleasure of keeping a Brookesia!

I’m sure breeding will occur if the animals feel safe. I never kept my beardeds in a planted setup nor did I ever keep opposite sexes (to avoid breeding) I wasn’t setup to deal with it. With this setup I’m scared I’ll never find any eggs... can they hatch undisturbed?
Thanks!

First- be VERY prepared to not get the correct species. This species is commonly mislabeled and I’d be very surprised if you got exactly what you order.

Second- since this species is not bred commonly in captivity, I’d suggest not having 2 males in the same enclosure. This will make it impossible to keep bloodlines separated. If you’re serious about getting into breeding them, I’d suggest 2.4 so you can have two trios in separate enclosures and you can have two different bloodlines going. Most people working with Brookesia let the eggs incubate in the enclosure (pygmies in general, actually)

In regards to your temperatures, that is fine and the UV may even add a little (max temps seen in Madagascar is around 80). For the humidity, I’ve kept humidity high in glass enclosures by giving a 2 minute long misting session in the morning.

Feeders would be similar to beardeds (brevicautaus).

First- be VERY prepared to not get the correct species. This species is commonly mislabeled and I’d be very surprised if you got exactly what you order.

Second- since this species is not bred commonly in captivity, I’d suggest not having 2 males in the same enclosure. This will make it impossible to keep bloodlines separated. If you’re serious about getting into breeding them, I’d suggest 2.4 so you can have two trios in separate enclosures and you can have two different bloodlines going. Most people working with Brookesia let the eggs incubate in the enclosure (pygmies in general, actually)

In regards to your temperatures, that is fine and the UV may even add a little (max temps seen in Madagascar is around 80). For the humidity, I’ve kept humidity high in glass enclosures by giving a 2 minute long misting session in the morning.

Feeders would be similar to beardeds (brevicautaus).
Thank you for the info. Luckily the source I bought from has 5 or so Brookesia sp listed all with correct species pictures from the latest batch. However due to the extreme similarities between a couple of species I’m prepared to post an ID post first thing. I’m not a serious breeder therefore if there are any species discrepancies or issues between the males I will separate one and spread the love to the forum. I wasn’t sure if the led plant lighting would provide proficient UVB but I was pleased it didn’t raise the temp any. I figured it would be plenty being they are a forest floor dwelling species. Thanks again.

EEF80F70-6B86-4849-9B6F-780DB8FCA845.jpeg
12F13C7B-D6EF-4D84-B39E-65A97D19E851.jpeg
CE4DB1D2-69AE-4525-9D68-222A81C4BA4A.jpeg
60F0DB90-EE3E-4212-98AB-62844200A0F2.jpeg

Full, left, middle, right.
between 10 and 14 inches from substrate to the screen depending on where in the cage they are. Middle is a bit of a cave back into the backdrop. Creates 2 high areas on the left and right towards the back, but a low area along the front and middle. Added more sticks, leaf, litter, and shady spots. Waiting on 2 small bromeliads from Josh’s frogs to arrive. Feel better about this?

Back
Top Bottom