Broken Tail?

sibeers

Cage Info:

Cage Type -18"x18" Screen cage with one wall being a foam "rock" wall.
Lighting - Don't know the brand but I have a basking lamp and a uv light. Schedule is 8 am to 8 pm.
Temperature - Average temp is 85-90. High of 95 low of 72ish at night. Thermometer in cage.
Humidity - 40 to 60. Hygrometer.
Plants -no live plants
Placement - Corner of a small apartment room. 3.5 ft from top of cage to floor. Nearest vent is across room on ceiling.
Location - Columbus, Ohio

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Female Veiled. I've had her for about 8 weeks. I don't know how old she was when I got her.
Handling - I try to handle her everyday. Mostly every other day.
Feeding - Diet of crickets. Tried meal worms but she never went for them. About 3-5 medium/large crickets per day. Some days less, most was about 8. Gut loading crickets with cricket food and cricket drink green pellets.
Supplements - "Bone Aid" Calcium powder. Dusting almost every cricket.
Watering - Running water fountain. Mist at least twice a day sometimes up to 4. Yes I've seen her drinking.

Current Problem - First of all, this is my first chameleon. So if there is anything I can improve on in the lists above I'd love to hear about it.

My current concern has to do with my chameleons tail. Since I bought her, its looked as if it was broken. It's crooked at the base and straightens out at the tip. As far as I'm concerned, she has never had a problem using it. She can hang from her hind legs and tail to eat and it curls up just fine. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about this and if there is anything I can do.

Thanks

Attachments

• LindaForum1.jpg
    LindaForum1.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,546
You did state that your cham can use the tail now , so there is nothing to do about it . It obviously has been like that from birth or has healed from a past injury .

Does your supplementation include a calcium , calcium with D3 and a vitamin or an all-in-one product ??? The 18x18 cage??? Is it screen or glass ?? and how high is it ?? 18x18x? Keep in mind , your UVB light needs to be replaced regularly dependent on Brand ... usually 6 - 9 months .

I would take out the waterfall asap. and put in a few live plants, there are lots of safe plant lists on the forum if you search.

Sibeers,
It looks to me as though you're doing a great job and since she's using her tail, I wouldn't be concerned. She just has a "special" tail. :)

I'd get rid of the water-fall, because poop can get in the water and generate bacteria that can be harmful. A water dripper like "Little Dripper" or even a home-made one would be really good for her. They love dripping water.

(I think those water-falls can be beautiful and best kept in a terrarium for plants only).

Keep up the good work and we'll look forward to seeing more photos of your girl!

Ok thanks for the help everyone!

I've never seen her fall or lose control on account of the tail and she seems to have full range of motion with it. So maybe it just is a special tail.

I'm definitely considering the water dropper. The fountain needs to be cleaned too much. and live plants; thanks Versagirl!

and to ChromaChameleons: my calcium supplement is "Bone Aid" brand powder. I feed the crickets "Zilla" brand cricket food and cricket drink with calcium. I don't see anything about D3 or vitamins. Should I buy something like that for her?
and the cage is an 18x18 inch screen cage about 3.5 feet from ground to the top of the cage. and I've only had both lights for 8 weeks but I appreciate the advice !

Ok thanks for the help everyone!

I've never seen her fall or lose control on account of the tail and she seems to have full range of motion with it. So maybe it just is a special tail.

I'm definitely considering the water dropper. The fountain needs to be cleaned too much. and live plants; thanks Versagirl!

and to ChromaChameleons: my calcium supplement is "Bone Aid" brand powder. I feed the crickets "Zilla" brand cricket food and cricket drink with calcium. I don't see anything about D3 or vitamins. Should I buy something like that for her?
and the cage is an 18x18 inch screen cage about 3.5 feet from ground to the top of the cage. and I've only had both lights for 8 weeks but I appreciate the advice !

I have been told by a large amount of people that these (the top 3) are the best supplements. I have orderd them and am currently using them.http://www.petmountain.com/category/417/1/reptile-supplements.html

Hi guys... I found my Cape Dwarf with multiple fractures in his tail... should I take him to a vet? ?

I would so you can find out the extent of the injury with a scan or xray (why are you sure they are fractures?) and whether there are other skeletal problems such as MBD. IF the cham can use its tail it may heal on its own with careful nutrition and a restricted cage.

Back
Top Bottom