Breeding Jacksons??

wsbishop91

i have a male jackson who is aout 3 years old, ive had him for almost 8 months. Today im getting ready to go pick up a female from petco shes an adult but im not sure how old. I would like to breed them I was just wandering if i should like do a quarantine period with her before i introduce them to see if shes ready to breed, Could someoe help me out with this please? She has been at petco for a month and looks very healthy

It's always wise to do a quarantine, during which time you should have a vet evaluate and do tests to determine the presence or absence of parasites.

well i got her from petco and all the animals have a vet checked guarantee, thats why i was wandering what i needed to do

well i got her from petco and all the animals have a vet checked guarantee, thats why i was wandering what i needed to do

Yes I suggest you do quarantine. I really doubt they run a fecal and treat all the animals they sell. They might have a guarantee if the female is sick or dies, ut they will not cover for animals infected by it.

I wouldn't put a lot of trust in petco's word/ vets. I would still quarantine and have a vet that is familiar with chameleons (or at lest reptiles) check her over + do a fecal. It's not worth the risk to your current chameleon imo not to.

Quarantine without a doubt. This chameleon may be harboring an illness that will be exacerabted by moving and changing her environment. You will want to make sure she is healthy before potentially exposing your male to that illness. Quarantine for at least 30 days before putting them together and a fecal would be a good idea too. You just never know, and better safe than sorry!

help

SO i got her checked out and shes fine, i put my male in with her last night, one minute hes eating her crickets next thing i know there mating but afterwards she kept trying to get away and doing the rocking back and forth thing. so i put my male back in his enclosure. Everything ive read said once they start mating to leave him in there for 3 to 5 days. Shes still kind of dark today. Should i wait or put him back in to ensure she gets enough sperm?

If shes going dark & rocking then shes gravid. One copulation is sufficient, sometimes females will let males do the deed more than once others only allow one mounting and copulation. Depends on the female.

If shes going dark & rocking then shes gravid. One copulation is sufficient, sometimes females will let males do the deed more than once others only allow one mounting and copulation. Depends on the female.

Thank you so much i havent read one article online that made that clear, so should i put him back in and see if she lets him mount again. So he doesnt have to mate her more than once to ensure that she has babies. I read that jacksons can have just yolks if there isn't a sufficient amount of sperm

got her checked

A vet cannot check for everything. And she may be fine now but harboring something that will flare up with excessive stress (such as pregnancy). It's too late now but for the sake of others reading this please know that quarantine is still highly recommended regardless of a clean health bill from a vet.

Waiting for the female to get settled in and acclimated to her new home is also good before you let the male jump her.:(

im sorry i should have waited and posted my questions on here before i did anything, she has seemed down today she has been dark and shes not moving as much, still eating and drinking more than usual actually. what behaviour should i expect?

Back
Top Bottom