breeding for dubias

Get a big/tall clear plastic plastic bin. Cut out some of the top and hot glue in some screening for ventilation, add roaches, food and voila.If it gets particularly chilly where you are, you will need to add some heat. I used a heat mat underneath with thermometer regulator thingy and elevated to bin to prevent overheating. You’ll want to have more females than males for best breeding.

Get a big/tall clear plastic plastic bin. Cut out some of the top and hot glue in some screening for ventilation, add roaches, food and voila.If it gets particularly chilly where you are, you will need to add some heat. I used a heat mat underneath with thermometer regulator thingy and elevated to bin to prevent overheating. You’ll want to have more females than males for best breeding.
thank you! what do you use to prop up the bin?

what is their preferred temperature?

sorry to keep bothering you haha
what brand and size of heat mat do you have?
Oh gee! Lol I have no idea of which brand. I have heat mats galore! The size depends on what size your bin is. I use one that covers about 1/4 to 1/3 of my bin so that there is also a cool side for them & is where I put their food. Using the temperature probe was a bit tricky. If I ran it up the side, the roaches could climb it. I drilled a hole towards the bottom just big enough to get the probe thru and used both tape and hot glue to leave no gaps.

Oh gee! Lol I have no idea of which brand. I have heat mats galore! The size depends on what size your bin is. I use one that covers about 1/4 to 1/3 of my bin so that there is also a cool side for them & is where I put their food. Using the temperature probe was a bit tricky. If I ran it up the side, the roaches could climb it. I drilled a hole towards the bottom just big enough to get the probe thru and used both tape and hot glue to leave no gaps.
that’s totally fine haha! thank you for being so kind and helping me out ❤️

I keep my dubias at around 80 for the temp. Seems to work great. I have had a few batches of babies. I also separated the babies from the adults. Someone said it helps, because roaches like to be in a colony so when you remove the babies it makes them continue breeding. (No sure if its actual facts or not but works great for me.) I keep mine in a closet so its always dark, apparently there is no such thing as to much night haha. Other wise I'd use black tubs. Again all this is from my research and have had great luck with. But from what I hear they are easy to breed anyway.
IMG_20200422_182906_297.jpg

I keep my dubias in a large cricket keeper. I fill it with dandelion leafs and throw in some bug burger about twice a week (those seleceted for the feeder get a more balanced gut load in the feeder). Granted, my adult Jacksons is not a big eater but I haven't bought any dubias in over a year. The roaches just seem to multiply.

I keep my dubias in a large cricket keeper. I fill it with dandelion leafs and throw in some bug burger about twice a week (those seleceted for the feeder get a more balanced gut load in the feeder). Granted, my adult Jacksons is not a big eater but I haven't bought any dubias in over a year. The roaches just seem to multiply.
do you keep it at a high temp?

can i just use dandelion leaves i see in my backyard. just make sure to wash them really good.

Back
Top Bottom