What to feed a chameleon

TheMotherChameleon

Established Member
Hello everyone, I am planning on getting a panther chameleon soon and I am wondering if dubia roaches, bsfl, super worms and the occasional hornworm (once he gets old enough) is enough variety

What about waxworms? I know they are not very nutritional but would it be okay to feed one or two a day along with the roaches supers etc?

This may help. Just as important as what bugs you feed your chameleon, is what you feed the bugs. Healthy bugs are more nutritious. You’ll want to provide them with a healthy diet of fresh greens, veggies and just a little bit of fruit. Avoid the ‘cubes’ and jelly pots - those will keep the bugs alive but barely. There are a few commercial diets like Mazuri, cricket crack and my favorite, Repashy Bug burger. I feed mainly produce, but give just a bit of bug burger to round out buggy nutrition.
IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

This may help. Just as important as what bugs you feed your chameleon, is what you feed the bugs. Healthy bugs are more nutritious. You’ll want to provide them with a healthy diet of fresh greens, veggies and just a little bit of fruit. Avoid the ‘cubes’ and jelly pots - those will keep the bugs alive but barely. There are a few commercial diets like Mazuri, cricket crack and my favorite, Repashy Bug burger. I feed mainly produce, but give just a bit of bug burger to round out buggy nutrition.
View attachment 352361View attachment 352362
Yes, I have seen the cubes and know that you need to feed live insects. But what if I got some hornworms and I know that they grow like crazy so I would have to feed them off pretty fast so what would be the limit? and should I only feed the hornworms or should I feed them with some other feeders?

View attachment 352361View attachment 352362
Oops I thought you meant the frozen insect cubes lol

Yes, I have seen the cubes and know that you need to feed live insects. But what if I got some hornworms and I know that they grow like crazy so I would have to feed them off pretty fast so what would be the limit? and should I only feed the hornworms or should I feed them with some other feeders?
Hornworms do grow crazy fast. They are great for hydrating and treats, so you only want to give 1 or 2. Check with your locally owned pet stores to see if they sell hornworms individually, so you can buy only what you need and pick what size.

Hornworms do grow crazy fast. They are great for hydrating and treats, so you only want to give 1 or 2. Check with your locally owned pet stores to see if they sell hornworms individually, so you can buy only what you need and pick what size.
do you mean my local Petco or Petsmart? would they be reliable places to get hornworms?

do you mean my local Petco or Petsmart? would they be reliable places to get hornworms?
No. They only sell hornworms in little cups and I think it’s something like 4 for $12, and every single cup I’ve ever looked at had a massive worm or two and that was it. Usually the locally owned mom & pop pet stores sell hornworms individually and you can choose the size. If you’re really lucky, they may sell silkworms too.

Back
Top Bottom