breeding feeders advice

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I'm gonna try to start breeding some bugs. I've already started on waxworms and I'm looking for something easy to breed. Like minimal effort. My mom hates bugs. Something like silkworms, dubias, maybe bsfl...you tell me. open to any suggestions

I have had great success with silks. If you only have one Cham just keep in mind hatching maybe 50 or less at a time. I had one Cham and over 100 worms that I couldn’t feed off. But I did end up getting tons of eggs from that mess up lol!

Roaches, or as Mom’s are told, Dubia ‘beetles’ ;) are super easy to breed.They don’t fly or climb and breed pretty well. I have discoids which are very similar. I’m sure @jamest0o0 can help you out with getting a colony started.
I told her that i might breed red runner roaches and she instantly said no. Then I said "how 'bout dubia beetles" and it was a yes LOLL

Roaches, or as Mom’s are told, Dubia ‘beetles’ ;) are super easy to breed.They don’t fly or climb and breed pretty well. I have discoids which are very similar. I’m sure @jamest0o0 can help you out with getting a colony started.
I have had great success with silks. If you only have one Cham just keep in mind hatching maybe 50 or less at a time. I had one Cham and over 100 worms that I couldn’t feed off. But I did end up getting tons of eggs from that mess up lol!
Does anybody know a good website or thread on this forum on how to breed dubias, silkies, etc

I know for Dubias and roaches (beetles ?) is they like it hot. So you will have to get a heat mat. I live in Florida so I keep mine outside. And if I’m not mistaken the babies eat the adult frass so you shouldn’t clean that when you have babies. I’m a novice bug breeder, once you have it all set up it’s pretty easy.

Sorry...I wasn’t yet caffeinated. Lol. It does take a lot to breed bsfl and isn’t a nice small easy set up like for other feeders.
I've kinda already started on their colony setup..... I have them in a 20 inch tall cage and a heat lamp.

Now I have another question and I think the answers no but can I breed waxworms and bsfl in the same cage? Or do they require different heat or whatever?

Does anybody know a good website or thread on this forum on how to breed dubias, silkies, etc
YOUTUBE. There are more videos on breeding just about any kind of feeder than anyone could possibly sit through (I tried, but I couldn't do it). :eek:

The good thing is, they're not all just clones of each other (though some are); there are lots of ideas & approaches for different situations. ;)

Just a question - can I breed my waxworms or/and bsfl in woodchips? I'm asking this because I bought too much woodchips and have a lot to burn

Back
Top Bottom