Breeding a female yemen

johnandlyn

Hi everyone,my female yemen is reseptive and i want to put her with a male.what im wondering is do i put the male in her enclosure with her? if so how long do i leave him in there?if anyone can help i would be greatfull thanks

How old is the female? I never mate mine until they are a year old.

To mate them, take the female and hold her in front of the male's cage so that they can see each other and watch the responses. This way, they can not fight while you decide whether they should be put together.

If the female rocks back and forth, gapes, hisses, turns dark in color, etc. then she is not receptive. If she remains her normal colors and moves slowly away from the male and maybe holds her body close to the branch, then she is receptive and the two can be put together.

If the male brightens his colors and flattens his body vertically and approaches her but DOES NOT hold one hand up, DOES NOT gape, DOES NOT hiss, DOES NOT coil and uncoil his tail, etc., then he realizes that she is a receptive female. If he behaves in any/all the ways I have said he should NOT do, then he doesn't realize that she is a receptive female...and they should not be put together.

If the two are put together, its wise to keep an eye on them (preferably without them being able to see you) just in case things don't go well.

When the female starts to reject the male, then its important to get her out of the cage right away.

Back
Top Bottom