Branching out beyond crickets and waxworms...

alaskachick

I have a 3 month old veiled cham that has only been fed crickets, wax worms and a little bit of fruit flies. I live in Alaska and our local pet store only has crickets, wax worms, mealworms and superworms. From what I've heard, meal worms can be tough to eat and superworms are too large for our little girl. Now that we've moved her up to a Reptibreeze cage, I'm worried that the fruit flies can get out through the mesh sides (cage is indoors, of course). So... questions are:
1. What would be your third choice for feeders (behind crickets and wax worms)?
2. I will need to order them online. Suggestions for where to order?
3. Which feeder is the easiest to maintain and/or breed at home?
thanks!!

You can check out smallpetfeerders.com and mulberry farms. They have many feeders. I breed hornworms, silkworms and dubia roaches at home. You can also check out the classified ads on the forum for good deals from memebers and sponsors.

I would make wax worms the 7th choice option of feeder. If crickets and wax is all you can get then its understandable. Roaches, crickets , random worms. I use healthier worms like silks and hornworms. Sparingly i use wax, mealies.
Ive got mantis ooths sitting, waiting to try those out.

i just got dubia roaches and truthfully their not that bad at all crickets smellll 100000000x times worse and these roaches dont bite and are pretty mellow once they arnt running away, both my adult chameleons eat them

Lindasgonebuggie.com has a large selection of feeders.

I highly suggest small hornworms, small silkworms, dubia roaches, and ReptiWorms.

Linda is super friendly and has great customer service. You can even email her personally with any questions and she'll respond pretty fast. Shipping is quick aswell!

Silkworms are great for hydration and are full of calcium. I don't dust them. Pity Popeye is not keen on them but I will persevere. I have 13 cocoons waiting to hatch and hopefully breed.LOL:D

I have had great success, and really love Phoenix, or calci worms. I buy them online in lots of 400. They live for months with little to no die off, no smell, no noise, and best of all, no gut loading. They are loaded with calcium and have a great balance of phosphorus as well. Took a few offerings before my guys started to go for them, but now they devour them.

I just bought small silkworms and phoenix worms from mulberry farms. Shipping to AK wasn't too bad ($12.95). (I checked out Linda's website first, but the shipping to Alaska was cost prohibitive, unfortunately.)

I like buying my silkworms in eggs and hatching them myself. I can order 2000 and place the eggs in the fridge only hatching how many I want at a time. You do have to feed them for a while though until they get the size you want them. I need very small ones for my baby cham and these are perfect.

I like buying my silkworms in eggs and hatching them myself. I can order 2000 and place the eggs in the fridge only hatching how many I want at a time. You do have to feed them for a while though until they get the size you want them. I need very small ones for my baby cham and these are perfect.

How do you hatch your silky eggs? How long does it take. Mine have been out of the fridge for 3 weeks and still nothing...

Back
Top Bottom