Branch Sizes

andrewachter

In all my searching, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on this (and there may not be one right answer), what is a good size range for branches in the Chameleon enclosure?

I'm just getting started with this and I'm wanting to take as much time as necessary to get a good habitat set up before I consider acquiring a chameleon. I basically plan on making sure I can have all the temperature and humidity gradients correct with the watering cycles running so I don't have to figure all of that out after the fact.

However, I've found it hard to determine what size of sticks I will actually need. I've heard things such as, "Make sure the chameleon's feet can wrap around halfway to all the way around", but being so new to this I'm not sure what that translates to in an actual measurement.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

In all my searching, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on this (and there may not be one right answer), what is a good size range for branches in the Chameleon enclosure?

I'm just getting started with this and I'm wanting to take as much time as necessary to get a good habitat set up before I consider acquiring a chameleon. I basically plan on making sure I can have all the temperature and humidity gradients correct with the watering cycles running so I don't have to figure all of that out after the fact.

However, I've found it hard to determine what size of sticks I will actually need. I've heard things such as, "Make sure the chameleon's feet can wrap around halfway to all the way around", but being so new to this I'm not sure what that translates to in an actual measurement.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Hi there. So your wanting multiple diameters with your branches not all the same. I have everything from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch. All are real branches so they have the texture for them to grip as well. With young ones I will even put in some smaller ones that I can change out as they grow.

As Beman said you want them to be different sizes, They should go from able to grasp fully around the branch on up. That way they don't continually stand with weight on the same part of the foot which can lead to sores.

Variety is best. Basking areas can be swapped out if your cham gets too heavy. I luv rubber tree.branches cause they taper and bend on their own also outer part is easy for their nails to sink in. Heres a pick of mine The bright lite in the back is a sansi plant lite. My cham uses the top 3/4 of the cage. Getting big leaf plants up high can be a challenge but necessary. As u can see i set feeding bowls glues to flat heavy rocks below his basking area and his cricket feeding cup with a stick comimg out of it on the opposite side. The crickets climb up the stick. Many breeders start them off like this and it works well.

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_172206.jpg
    IMG_20220601_172206.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 72
I absolutely love and swear by Australian umbrella plants! They provide great coverage and the perfect width branches (stems?) for chams with slightly smaller feet like female panthers or adult hoehnelii! They grow FAST too!

Hibiscus works good too

Attachments

• IMG_20220606_070659_hdr_kindlephoto-896340306.jpg
    IMG_20220606_070659_hdr_kindlephoto-896340306.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom