Branch diameters?

NICK GILCHRIST

Hey Guys...I would really like to try and get some info from experienced keepers on this one...what would you recommend that the ideal diameters should be for Mellers support/branches..obviously im aware of the whole weight ratio /feet prob..so in constructing my unit I wondered what you guys would say was a good diameter guide for Adults? ie 1" diameter ? advice on this really welcomed..should there be options? and do in your experience Adult Mellers prefer certain types of branches/supports/

Thankyou in advance for your expertise and opinions on this........:)

Normally with larger species I would recomend larger diameter branch 2.5 inches and up. However, for the long term muscle and over all fitness of your chameleon I think it is important to have some diameter variation avalable. It lets the chameleons use their feet muscles in many different ways and is a overall good / best workout for their feet instead of just one diameter sized branches.

Normally for captive chameleons it gives them a stronger grip. Something that you find in wild caught chameleons and is normally lacking in captive bred.

When your cage is done, give some smaller branches and if the mellers stay away from the smaller diameter branches remove them and go big and experiment with some variation of larger diameter branches.

Normally with larger species I would recomend larger diameter branch 2.5 inches and up. However, for the long term muscle and over all fitness of your chameleon I think it is important to have some diameter variation avalable. It lets the chameleons use their feet muscles in many different ways and is a overall good / best workout for their feet instead of just one diameter sized branches.

Normally for captive chameleons it gives them a stronger grip. Something that you find in wild caught chameleons and is normally lacking in captive bred.

I can totally see why this would work!! in the wild branches are never just one size...thanks again..that helps a lot:)

I use branches that are small enough for the cham not to reach all the way around. This is important because they will cut themselves on their own claws. It is also a good idea to use something larger so they do work there feet muscles.

At night I find that my big guy doesn't even hold the branches he sleeps on... he sleeps in a way that lets his weight keep him ballenced.

Still searching out stuff for "branches"..its part of the fun of creating a new unit...you know..i had a STRANNNNNNGE idea the other night..just me doing my "what if?" scenarios..let me throw this ball in the air for you..

a lot of people use commercially available "vines" ..you know the ones, flexible. yet stiff. ..well enough for the more common "lightweight" species..however..here is a MAD thought..which no doubt will be shot down in seconds!:D

To create a flexible continuos "vine" which could be structurally solid and strong for part of its length. yet be able to bend and create hoops. curves etc....ermm what about...HOSEPIPE? I dont mean the type you would use as an actual garden watering system..(although it has the same properties) I mean an equivalent diameter hollow plastic tubing. into which you could insert lengths of wooden doweling along its length..when you need to bend or curve it..break the dowelling at that point and create the curve.... the curved section would still be strong enough to support weight..use this as a "track" through the unit supported by other climbing branches of differing diameters.

see...told you us English were thinkers!

I use soaker hose in my free range and cages.

IMG_1175.jpg

I keep parrots, and it is always recommended that you have variable diameters for birds to perch on. It keeps the claws exersized as opposed to a constant diameter grip.
I do this with my chameleons too, especially in their basking areas. I try to use real branches since they are naturally varying in diameter and I swap them out occassionally for some oven treatment.

I use soaker hose in my free range and cages.

]

:D Kevin...I HATE YOU!! :) DONT SAY THAT! ..YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO SAY..." DAMN WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT...YOU ENGLISH GUYS ARE GOING TO BE AT THE FOREFRONT OF ALL FUTURE CHAM CARE CONCEPTS!:D:D

Actually...i sooo knew you would yet again show me up to be the bumbling fool that i am:)

Oh and for the record...........i love you!:) ..but in a manly non sexual way! not in a..lets make a Village People tribute group way

I keep parrots, and it is always recommended that you have variable diameters for birds to perch on. It keeps the claws exersized as opposed to a constant diameter grip.
I do this with my chameleons too, especially in their basking areas. I try to use real branches since they are naturally varying in diameter and I swap them out occassionally for some oven treatment.

Thanks Yoza..i agree that variety is the way forward on this..and thanks for your answer..it all helps:)

Back
Top Bottom