Bradypodion transvaalense neonates

Couple pics from today:

3993558369_41b7bdbccb_o.jpg

3993558409_7d409709f5_o.jpg

3994320738_a54fe45a3e_o.jpg

Hope you like them.

Chris

I'm starting to get concerned over here! Teasing of course. They look wonderful Chris.

I'm still waiting for mine to do, well, anything really. Shes active, at times paces, but the other 90% she's happy and chill as can be. She certainly doesn't like when a boy walks by so that's a good sign. I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

Keep up the good work!

Luis

beautiful baby's chris! And nice pictures!
Very good to hear they do well.

@Luis do you have them housed together? At the final stage of pregnancy it may help to seperate the female to minimize the stress from the females.

I'm also waiting more then a month now for my biggest mooi rivier to give birth. Her size isn't normal anymore.

Thanks for the compliments. They really are neat little guys.

Luis - I'm sure she's getting close. Maybe we were both right on our bet, at least with regard to our respective females.

Steven - Let me know when your Mooi female drops. I'd love to get some of those babies!

Chris

Unfortunately not every post can be good news I guess. Out of the original 19 babies in this clutch, one of the babies was quite a bit smaller then the rest. That baby ended up dieing a couple weeks ago but I was expecting that he might not make it. The remaining 18 babies were doing extremely well until today. Unfortunately this morning I went in to find that ants (I believe they are Argentine ants) had invaded one of my baby enclosures overnight and killed 8 babies. They were attacking a ninth but I was able to save him/her. He has a couple scuffs but hopefully he'll be alright. The rest of the babies weren't affected and of course look beautiful but I'm pretty crushed. Its just so disappointed to have such a nice clutch of such a rare species doing so well only to have so many killed like that.

The ants had not only found the animal room, they also discovered the pantry. I now have borax, sugar & water traps out around the house and am watching the rest of the animal enclosures closely until the colony has been killed off.

Chris

That's a damn pitty Chris! Hopefully the remaining babies will be able to grow up without any further problems. Good luck!

OMG! :eek: :mad: That is horrible. Sorry to hear the bad news. Are they related to the fire ants that are everywhere?

Sorry to hear about this Chris.

This happend to a local breeder here, he had the first baby jacksons and the ants got all of the babies.

Im sure there will be much better luck in the future.;):rolleyes:

Wow...........

I've been off the forums due to overload of stuff going on. I was skimming through this thread to read it all before posting my congrats on the babies. What a bummer about the ants. I'm so sorry about that. I can understand how much it would hurt to find the babies in that situation. Very devastating. I'm happy that I can still congratulate you on the ones that are still fine. Your pictures are beautiful as ALWAYS :p

Chris,

It looks as if we both had a string of bad luck with these lately. The two males are still doing great, so let me know if you ever need to one to introduce to your females or vice versa.

Good luck with everything else and let me know if I can help in anyway.

Luis

Last edited:
Unfortunately this morning I went in to find that ants (I believe they are Argentine ants) had invaded one of my baby enclosures overnight and killed 8 babies. They were attacking a ninth but I was able to save him/her. He has a couple scuffs but hopefully he'll be alright. The rest of the babies weren't affected and of course look beautiful but I'm pretty crushed.

Sorry to hear. I had a similar experience with a clutch of melleri a while back, except with fire ants. I doubt the culprit is an Argentine ant, as these are harmless (they do not sting)-- their (justified) fame as one of the worst and most dangerous pests in the world stems from their ability to take over ecosystems and drive other species of ants (and therefore everything up the chain) into peril. They prefer nectar, fruit, and are also scavengers-- feeding on dead insects or decomposing food.

Do you have a photo of the ants in question?

Fabián

Oh man, that is a shame Chris. Like others have said, at least some of the babies survived. Good luck with the rest of them.

I'm very Sorry for you Chris. Let's hope that little one indeed will survive! I really hope you can kill the colony very soon.

Thanks everyone. The baby that they were starting to attack is still doing well. He's a little banged up but I think he will be alright.

I believe Fabian is correct. The ants had dimorphic workers, which Argentine ants don't have. They appear to be Big-headed Ants.

I've seen the ants going for the poison traps I set out and last night I was only able to see a couple. I'm hoping I managed to kill off the colony but I'm still being cautious about the rest of the baby chams.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom