Bradypodion transvaalense neonates

Wow, you are not kidding about being tiny. So will the mom eat any of the babies if you don't remove them? I like the photo of the 'penny' one, looks as if he is starting his beard already. :)

Congratulations on the new additions.

Thanks guys, glad you liked the pics. I'm going to do my best with them and like you mentioned, hopefully I'll have unrelated clutches.

Luis - I'll call it even on the bet as long as we can trade some babies when your female drops.

Chris

Chris,

With the majority of the imported group being MIA, I think it's absolutely imperative we stick to our original game plan. ;)

I'm just hoping for similar success so I have something to trade. As we've both noticed, one day she will look fat and ready to pop and the next she'll look thinner than ever.

Keep me posted and let me know if you need room to house all of these. I do have some space ready to utilized.

Luis

Hi Chris,

I think all those species are not really difficult. To be honest the only species I ever found difficult to raise was senegalensis.

The only thing to remember is that with those live bearers the chance is bigger some baby's die. As some eggs don't hatch with egg layers. My experience is as long as no folikels or dead baby's are born all baby's should survive.

Sorry to hear about your female pumilum. That is a species I'd very much like to work with as well. You'll have to let me know if you're able to successfully breed them some time.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Chris

Ill let you know if I have any to sell to america, problem is I am only getting my new ones in february.
Hopefully I will have females that will drop and I can then send Ben what he wants, then the first american I will go to about selling willl be you, but Ben has called first dibs, you get dibs aswell if you like.

-tyrone

Anytime ben!

Im so bummed about her dieing, but breeding season is coming in hermanus and Im going to be there to get mine!

Sorry to sorta hi jack your thread Chris!

Chris, I hope you will post a note when and if you decide to find new homes for these little guys. I am so used to the humongous vieled babies, I would love to try something new. Since we are fairly close, it would be a pick up.

Whenever I have babies born, I always compile a list of people who have expressed interest in any them and once they are ready to go, I contact those people before I post any of the babies for sale publicly. My first priority with this species, however, will be exchanging bloodlines with other Bd. transvaalense keepers to help make sure the population has a good foundation. After that, I have a lot of people already who have contacted me but I will add you to the list and hopefully I'll have a few extra. Fingers crossed they all do well!

Wow, you are not kidding about being tiny. So will the mom eat any of the babies if you don't remove them? I like the photo of the 'penny' one, looks as if he is starting his beard already. :)

Congratulations on the new additions.

There are reports of females of other Bradypodion species eating their babies so as soon as I found them I removed them. I spent a lot of time looking for them so I don't think I missed any but I've been watching closely over the last couple days.

Chris,

With the majority of the imported group being MIA, I think it's absolutely imperative we stick to our original game plan. ;)

I'm just hoping for similar success so I have something to trade. As we've both noticed, one day she will look fat and ready to pop and the next she'll look thinner than ever.

Keep me posted and let me know if you need room to house all of these. I do have some space ready to utilized.

Luis

Yeah, its such a shame so many ended up in the situation they did. Hopefully your female and my other female will both drop though and the babies will all do alright!

I should be good for room to house them though. I have 5 baby enclosures and a number of slightly larger "growing up" enclosures free at the moment. Its mostly just a matter of organizing where I put the cages at the moment. I should be switching to my new rack system next week though so everything will be really nicely organized once its done.

Hi Chris,

I think all those species are not really difficult. To be honest the only species I ever found difficult to raise was senegalensis.

The only thing to remember is that with those live bearers the chance is bigger some baby's die. As some eggs don't hatch with egg layers. My experience is as long as no folikels or dead baby's are born all baby's should survive.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I did not find any slugs or dead babies so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Ill let you know if I have any to sell to america, problem is I am only getting my new ones in february.
Hopefully I will have females that will drop and I can then send Ben what he wants, then the first american I will go to about selling willl be you, but Ben has called first dibs, you get dibs aswell if you like.

-tyrone

Sounds good. I've got my hands full for a bit anyway.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Chris

well, if you're compiling a list of interested parties, then I'm definitely interested. I know I had to back out of the Hoehnelii, but would go into debt for these.

I need to get some new pics of the babies. Their dermal lobes that make up the gular crest are much more visible now. They all seem to be doing very well (knock on wood).

Unfortunately my second female dropped a clutch of slugs so it doesn't look like I will have an unrelated clutch this time around. Hopefully Luis' female will drop a fertile clutch though.

Chris

Sorry to hear about the second female. I've keeping a close eye on our female but so far she's just happy to sit around the enclosure. :rolleyes:

I have my fingers crossed.

Luis

edit: I also noticed the younger male acting funny again. I took a picture with my phone so it's a bit blurry. I will be swapping out his cage furnishings this evening to see if makes any difference, but like before after only an hour or so, he's back to normal. Strange one that little guy...

To bad Chris,

where it all slugs? How many did you find?

Indeed hope Luis will have some babies as well.
And then hopefully you can breed them some more seasons.
I think as summer still needs to start in SA you can let them mate again quite soon and have a second litter about jan - april.

Steven - I saw about 8 slugs but I didn't really count them. I was too busy checking for any live babies. Didn't find any, unfortunately.

Here are a few photos I took this morning of the babies. All 19 are doing great (knock on wood)!

3975074390_3fd4e8d947_o.jpg

3974310259_0ecf9ffb3c_o.jpg

3975074950_b2af5870cb_o.jpg

3974310823_4c87a7ebdc_o.jpg

Chris

they look great chris!

I hope they will mate again in a short period.

good luck wwith raising them, I hope the group will continue growing!

Back
Top Bottom