Bought shooting gallery bugs falling out bottom!!

I had trouble with $20+ for a take-out lid with a hole cut in it, so I did make one.
A lot of feeders just kept in the bottom and eventually died, so I took it out.

I made another feeder run cup from PVC, which basically has the same problems; some stay in the bottom & die; others jump/crawl out.

Currently, I've gotten away from crickets, and use one of the bird feeders. Nothing's escaped except a couple that fell out of GP's mouth. They didn't live long either.
1635962365827.png

I had trouble with $20+ for a take-out lid with a hole cut in it, so I did make one.

I made another feeder run cup from PVC, which basically has the same problems; some stay in the bottom & die; others jump/crawl out.

Currently, I've gotten away from crickets, and use one of the bird feeders. Nothing's escaped except a couple that fell out of GP's mouth. They didn't live long either.
View attachment 313952
That’s the exact bird seed cup I use that I got at one of the pet stores. It has worked for a long time now but I just wanted something to stimulate a better feed response.

That’s the exact bird seed cup I use that I got at one of the pet stores. It has worked for a long time now but I just wanted something to stimulate a better feed response.
I understand. GP has come to recognize the cup as a source of food, and comes to investigate whenever I put it in the enclosure. If things are moving inside the cup, that'll do it. If not moving, he may ignore them. Either way, he often just sits/perches on the cup. I though that might be his way of saying he's hungry, but he seems to do that more with colors.

Dubias especially tend to play possum, so I usually put at least one other kind of feeder in with them, and that keeps the dubia active enough to stimulate him.

Okay, I corrected it but the bugs can still get out the bottom because they just push the screen away. It’s a poor design in my mind.
Did you push the pins into the plastic all the way? Like you have to shove them into it all the way. I do not have screen cages anymore or I would do a video and show you how to attach it. But if the pin is not pushed in completely into the plastic of the feeder then it does not grab completely. Hard to explain in text.

I pushed the pins through the frame but there’s no flat place on the frame to push the pins in flat and flush. There are ridges all around the edges of the frame so you have to push the pins in at an angle. It’s frustrating!
Yeah the second row should be at the bottom that's what my dad did for me and it works well

View attachment 313952
Tried the feeder cup and also made an own shooting gallery.

The Jackson and Boehmei refuse to eat from the cup. The Jackson prefers hand feeding or free range. The Boehmei free range only.
The shooting gallery worked, however experienced the same problem you did, they stay at the bottom and die.

At this moment, it is cheap material, however the feeders stay on the screen and can’t escape. Hopefully it stays that way and at least it works for that high price

I have 4 of the shooting galleries and love them. My veileds are always right there and quickly snatch up whatever I put in them. My girls have lately even been climbing the screen door so they don’t have to wait for the door to close before eating. My panther is a slow eater and on occasion his feeders will slip out thru a tiny gap. Adding an extra pin or two solves this problem.

Back
Top Bottom