Bonding

Dave Bull

Ok so i have read some threads on here, and you say chams dont bond. I have a veiled male from what i read aggressive can not be handled. This chap every day will come out in fact loves to. He is the most amazing fella. Now the warm weather is here i take him in garden he loves it. But i will say he has been handled most days since he was born. Bonding as i said i just have to walk up to his enclosure talk to him and he will imediately come to the front :) i think that i have a bond he trusts me. Then i put my hand in and he walks straight onto it. No fear :) Perhaps it is just me he looks at me sometimes and i know he trusts me ;)

each cham is different i too have a veiled who loves to be handled he will just sit on my shoulder for hours and watch tv with me he even seem to really like my 130lb rotty, he always heads over to her when shes laying on the floor.

Yes hoj i aggree i think though if they were handled regulary as babes it makes such a difference. Today i had some zophorbas in feding cup to put in enclosure he ignored them just climed straight on my arm and was on my shoulder :)

Yes hoj i aggree i think though if they were handled regulary as babes it makes such a difference. Today i had some zophorbas in feding cup to put in enclosure he ignored them just climed straight on my arm and was on my shoulder :)

lol my lil buggar does that too, tricks me when i goto hand feed and jumps on my hand ;) smart lil guys they can be:cool:

All 3 of mine have been like that! I just love them! I think a lot has to do with how you are with them - I show mine respect and everything is on their terms only. My current two have vivs side by side and today I was replacing Amy's laying bin and next thing I know Tommy had come right down form the top basking spot right down to the front to be let out - he was actually scratching at the door for me to open it. He hasn't done that for ages, so I had to stop what I was doing and let the dear l'il chap out! :D

A lot is also to do with each chameleons individual personality. My Tommy had been passed around four other homes before I got him and even after all the adjusting he has had to do he remains the sweetest, most trusting boy ever. I just love him to bits!

All 3 of mine have been like that! I just love them! I think a lot has to do with how you are with them - I show mine respect and everything is on their terms only. My current two have vivs side by side and today I was replacing Amy's laying bin and next thing I know Tommy had come right down form the top basking spot right down to the front to be let out - he was actually scratching at the door for me to open it. He hasn't done that for ages, so I had to stop what I was doing and let the dear l'il chap out! :D

A lot is also to do with each chameleons individual personality. My Tommy had been passed around four other homes before I got him and even after all the adjusting he has had to do he remains the sweetest, most trusting boy ever. I just love him to bits!

I agree, I think it has to do with the lizard as well as showing them your not a threat.

when I was catching alones as a kid a few would be half friendly off the bat while others would try to bite a finger off (even tho there was no chance)

Inspired

First of all I would like to say thank u for posting this. I like u have read tons of stuff online, on here and on other forums about how u are never to handle these amazing creatures. I was so motivated and inspired by ur post that I got my 6 week old male cham to come out of his enclosure to eat from my hand. He was a little freaked out at first but he climbed up my arm and hung out for a little bit. Im going to try to do this maybe every other day so I can earn his trust. Never forcing him to do it of course, and hopefully it'll pay off in the long run. I would like him to be able to enjoy my company as much as I enjoy his :)

First of all I would like to say thank u for posting this. I like u have read tons of stuff online, on here and on other forums about how u are never to handle these amazing creatures. I was so motivated and inspired by ur post that I got my 6 week old male cham to come out of his enclosure to eat from my hand. He was a little freaked out at first but he climbed up my arm and hung out for a little bit. Im going to try to do this maybe every other day so I can earn his trust. Never forcing him to do it of course, and hopefully it'll pay off in the long run. I would like him to be able to enjoy my company as much as I enjoy his :)

my panther is very outgoing and will come to me when ever I'm near, my jacksons is shy and I don't handle him except for cage cleanings (tho I haven't had him long).

point being I think you just have to listen to the lizard (so to speak), go slow and don't push him to do anything he doesn't want, take your time and earn his trust. if he come around great, if not, well they're still great pets even if you can hold them.

This is a good thing to do get them used to you . Handle them every day. You will then be rewarded with a freind if it is like my veiled is now sat on my shoulder as i type this :D

Back
Top Bottom