Blu is digging a lot

I still mist everything and she does have the dropper in there dripping onto her leaves so the humidity stays up.

Hi. :) Congrats on having a lovely girl. If she’s started digging, the best thing that you can do is let her do her thing completely undisturbed. If you can discretely cover just the visible parts of her enclosure (just so she can’t see you), go ahead and do that. She may dig several tunnels until she likes one. Eventually she’ll turn around with her head sticking out and lay her eggs. Then she’ll very carefully cover her tunnels and when she’s satisfied, will return to her basking branch. The whole process may take a couple of days and it’s normal for her to sleep in her tunnel. Once she’s done, feed her very well for a couple of days. Get some hornworms to help rehydrate her and anything else besides mealworms. You’ll want to count the eggs and I doubt they are fertile, so they can be tossed. There are ways to help reduce her egg production, which will lengthen her life. After a couple of days of feeding her well, you’ll want to cut her feedings down to 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week and make sure her basking temp doesn’t go above 80.

I have tried the other insects you've mentioned but she won't eat them, she just stares at me until I give her mealworms, she's gone days without eating bc I didn't give her mealworms with it

I also think it would be a good thing to have a full husbandry review to make sure everything is as perfect as possible. :) If you’d like to do this, just copy/paste the following with your answers.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I have tried the other insects you've mentioned but she won't eat them, she just stares at me until I give her mealworms, she's gone days without eating bc I didn't give her mealworms with it

• Your Chameleon - veiled, just found out she's actually a female, about a year. 6-7 months
  • Handling - she us fairly sweet so I normally handle her every other day, and if she climbs onto the door I get her out then too
  • Feeding - mostly mealworms and crickets? She is very spoiled and if she wants more she will knock down her dish, I feed her about 15 crickets and 10 small mealworms? Normally every day. I breed my mealworms so they eat any leftover fresh veggies i have and my crickets have a gut loading supplement
  • Supplements - I dust everytime she eats and I use repashy calcium and herptivite vitamins
  • Watering - I have a waterfall and a dripper. I have a spray bottle and I mist about 4 times a day, and she loves it. I see her drink from her waterfall fairly often
  • Fecal Description - poops about once about every other day, sometimes more, her urine is normally pretty white with a little bit of yellow and she's never been tested for parasites
  • History - she was housed only with males until I got her when she was about 5 months old

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen but I have polyglass on the outside of 2 sides, 16×16x34
  • Lighting - i have a uv build and a 100 watt heat lamp, both zoo med. After having her for a month or so I paid attention to when she woke up and when she fell asleep and installed a smart switch that clicks on at 730 and turns off at 930 (i know, she's very spoiled)
  • Temperature - During the day towards the top is 72 at night (where she sleeps) and 81 during the day. In the middle where she likes to hang out is 79 during the day and still about 72 at night and the bottom stays between 75 and 70. I have a chameleon range thermometer/hydrometer at the top, and a digital at the middle and bottom
  • Humidity - the hydrometer at the top is at 30 and it obviously gets higher as you get lower, I spray numerous times a day, I have a waterfall that gets cleaned a lot with a sponge in the bottom to prevent drowning and has a filter under the sponge and the sponge gets changed often. She also has a dropper that lands on the leaves
  • Plants - all fake
  • Placement - in the living room, about 30 inches off the floor, so a little more than 60 from the top, there is obviously a fan in the living room but it is not on often except in the summer, in which case she spends mostly on the window blinds in the sun.
  • Location - Missouri

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about
i found out she was a she from you guys after being told she was a male because she was burrowing through her substrate and was being very moody
20211029_200001.jpg
20210509_183501.jpg
20220109_114203-jpg.317943

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Attachments

• 20220109_114203.jpg
    20220109_114203.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 68
Like I said before, I lost a cham before her because the place I bought him from did not tell me about his calcium deficiency disorder that I didn't find out about till it was too late, I was devastated but Blu is so sweet, please tell me if there I ANYTHING I can do to ensure her health, I will try again with different insects, and I will continue to keep her waterfall clean

• Your Chameleon - veiled, just found out she's actually a female, about a year. 6-7 months
  • Handling - she us fairly sweet so I normally handle her every other day, and if she climbs onto the door I get her out then too
  • Feeding - mostly mealworms and crickets? She is very spoiled and if she wants more she will knock down her dish, I feed her about 15 crickets and 10 small mealworms? Normally every day. I breed my mealworms so they eat any leftover fresh veggies i have and my crickets have a gut loading supplement
  • Supplements - I dust everytime she eats and I use repashy calcium and herptivite vitamins
  • Watering - I have a waterfall and a dripper. I have a spray bottle and I mist about 4 times a day, and she loves it. I see her drink from her waterfall fairly often
  • Fecal Description - poops about once about every other day, sometimes more, her urine is normally pretty white with a little bit of yellow and she's never been tested for parasites
  • History - she was housed only with males until I got her when she was about 5 months old

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen but I have polyglass on the outside of 2 sides, 16×16x34
  • Lighting - i have a uv build and a 100 watt heat lamp, both zoo med. After having her for a month or so I paid attention to when she woke up and when she fell asleep and installed a smart switch that clicks on at 730 and turns off at 930 (i know, she's very spoiled)
  • Temperature - During the day towards the top is 72 at night (where she sleeps) and 81 during the day. In the middle where she likes to hang out is 79 during the day and still about 72 at night and the bottom stays between 75 and 70. I have a chameleon range thermometer/hydrometer at the top, and a digital at the middle and bottom
  • Humidity - the hydrometer at the top is at 30 and it obviously gets higher as you get lower, I spray numerous times a day, I have a waterfall that gets cleaned a lot with a sponge in the bottom to prevent drowning and has a filter under the sponge and the sponge gets changed often. She also has a dropper that lands on the leaves
  • Plants - all fake
  • Placement - in the living room, about 30 inches off the floor, so a little more than 60 from the top, there is obviously a fan in the living room but it is not on often except in the summer, in which case she spends mostly on the window blinds in the sun.
  • Location - Missouri

i found out she was a she from you guys after being told she was a male because she was burrowing through her substrate and was being very moodyView attachment 317941View attachment 317942
20220109_114203-jpg.317943

--------------

Please Note:

I’ll be putting my feedback in bold. I do have to be rather quick as I start work soon.
  • Feeding - mostly mealworms and crickets? She is very spoiled and if she wants more she will knock down her dish, I feed her about 15 crickets and 10 small mealworms? Normally every day. I breed my mealworms so they eat any leftover fresh veggies i have and my crickets have a gut loading supplement Attaching feeder and gutloading graphics. You are over feeding, which can result in over-production of eggs as well as obesity. After she lays her eggs, you’ll want to start her on the reduced feeding schedule I already mentioned. Mealworms are ok once in a rare while, but not good as a staple feeder.
  • Supplements - I dust everytime she eats and I use repashy calcium and herptivite vitamins This needs to be changed. You should use a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding except one per week. That one weekly feeding you’ll alternate between a multivitamin and a calcium with D3, so that each is given once every other week.
  • Watering - I have a waterfall and a dripper. Sorry, but I agree with what’s already been said about waterfalls. Even though cleaned regularly they tend to retain bacteria and are just not needed. I have a spray bottle and I mist about 4 times a day, and she loves it. Is best to mist for at least 2 minutes, 2-3 times a day. You want her enclosure to have time to dry out in between. I see her drink from her waterfall fairly often
  • Fecal Description - poops about once about every other day, sometimes more, her urine is normally pretty white with a little bit of yellow and she's never been tested for parasites Veterinary wellness visits with a fecal check are always a good thing.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen but I have polyglass on the outside of 2 sides, 16×16x34 She needs an upgrade to the minimum size of 2x2x4’ or equivalent.
  • Lighting - i have a uv build and a 100 watt heat lamp, both zoo med. After having her for a month or so I paid attention to when she woke up and when she fell asleep and installed a smart switch that clicks on at 730 and turns off at 930 (i know, she's very spoiled)I can’t see if you have a linear uvb or screw in bulb. The screw in bulbs aren’t able to provide adequate uvb at any distance farther than 2-3”. The T5HO is the standard with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Basking area should then be about 8-9” below the lights. A 12 hour on/off schedule is best…gives plenty of time for beauty sleep. ;)
  • Temperature - During the day towards the top is 72 at night (where she sleeps) and 81 during the day. In the middle where she likes to hang out is 79 during the day and still about 72 at night and the bottom stays between 75 and 70. I have a chameleon range thermometer/hydrometer at the top, and a digital at the middle and bottom As long as your basking temp stays around 80, all is perfect. A night time temp drop is desirable and veileds can handle temps as low as the 50’s/60’s.
  • Humidity - the hydrometer at the top is at 30 and it obviously gets higher as you get lower, I spray numerous times a day, I have a waterfall that gets cleaned a lot with a sponge in the bottom to prevent drowning and has a filter under the sponge and the sponge gets changed often. She also has a dropper that lands on the leaves Is your hygrometer analog (with a dial) or digital? The analog ones are notoriously inaccurate. Ideal daytime humidity is between 30-50%. At night if you can get a good temp drop below 70, you can add a cool mist humidifier to boost humidity up to 80-100% to simulate natural hydration that they get in the wild.
  • Plants - all fake Attaching safe plant graphic. Should be all live. Veileds, especially the girls love to nibble their plants. It only takes one nibble of a fake leaf to become impacted.
  • Placement - in the living room, about 30 inches off the floor, so a little more than 60 from the top, there is obviously a fan in the living room but it is not on often except in the summer, in which case she spends mostly on the window blinds in the sun. Ok. They enjoy being up high as they feel safer. Do be careful about any sun coming in the window and overheating her enclosure.
  • Location - Missouri

i found out she was a she from you guys after being told she was a male because she was burrowing through her substrate and was being very moody Already addressed. :)
You’ve got a great start…just need to make some changes to get everything as perfect as possible for your sweet girl. Sorry to be so rushed and blunt but gotta get to work. If you have any questions, ask away and someone will most likely have an answer for you. I’m very happy to have you here and willing to give your little girl a great and long life. 🥰

27AA632B-CB22-4C42-A879-D09CD588DD65.jpeg
63EA20D4-715E-41ED-8931-75F6316B6242.jpeg
D0725B0A-3404-49CD-B016-FDBB60123003.jpeg

Thank you, I will call the vet to make an appt to get tested, as far as water goes what should I do then? I got the waterfall a few months after I got her bc she was dehydrated bc she refused to drink off plants or from her dripper. After I got it she started to look so much better and she drinks from it.

I have tried to give her collared greens i believe is what they're called, and other bugs, but she refuses, how do you get them to increase a variety in their diet? The place I got her only fed them mealworms and crickets, so that is all she will eat.

Ditch the waterfall, no amount of cleaning will work
Thank you, I will call the vet to make an appt to get tested, as far as water goes what should I do then? I got the waterfall a few months after I got her bc she was dehydrated bc she refused to drink off plants or from her dripper. After I got it she started to look so much better and she drinks from it.
If she's thirsty she will drink. She very well maybe drinking from the waterfall but it's not a clean source and I assure you it's for the best. You can get different feeders online, it's your best bet. It may not be the most convenient but you have all the variety in the world. Looks at the site sponsors and resources page, you've got tons of options.

Many chameleons are very secretive about drinking. I have 5 of them and never see any of them drinking. Give a good 2 minute misting and then walk away.
I have tried to give her collared greens i believe is what they're called, and other bugs, but she refuses, how do you get them to increase a variety in their diet? The place I got her only fed them mealworms and crickets, so that is all she will eat.
While veileds will on occasion eat greens and such, they have no need for it. Just provide safe live plants and she’ll nibble as she wants. I would suggest getting or making a feeding station and put it up high where she can see it easily from her basking branch. I really like the shooting gallery https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery?variant=30018608595032 as the feeders climb the screen which gets my chams attention. Plus it’s not so easy for feeders to escape. Chams learn very quickly that is where the food is. Be persistent. Try adding a couple of roaches in with a couple of crickets. For fun treats I let bsfl pupate into flies and release them into my cham enclosures. I hand feed silkworms to help maintain trust, but they can also be placed on a branch where you cham can see.

Back
Top Bottom