Bloody Sperm plug?

Ok I was able to snap a couple pics this morning!!! I will add that he has been gaining some weight. I’m not sure if this is a place where Chams store fat or if it’s swelling?

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0266.jpeg
    IMG_0266.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 34
Ya its defiantly bigger. And thats a great question. I don't know that myself. I know they will show it in their cheeks and casque so if those look normal I would guess it could be swelling.

Hey there... So with males they have muscle there.. So it is a bit more pronounced below the jaw line. This would be normal. Now if there is extreme swelling that is not normal.

This is Beman this morning puffing while basking. But you can see his really well in this picture.

IMG_8285.jpeg

Ok awesome. Since he’s been gaining weight and getting strength back he’s filling out and starting to look different than he did before. It’s hard to tell what’s normal for him with all the changes he’s had!

Ok awesome. Since he’s been gaining weight and getting strength back he’s filling out and starting to look different than he did before. It’s hard to tell what’s normal for him with all the changes he’s had!
Thats why we are here though. Glad you asked and I'm happy it seems like a sign that he is gaining weight and doing well.

They have a different body tone when they are healthy. But I do not see anything abnormal.

Personally I would watch his bowel movements. Make sure your not seeing any additional signs of blood in the urate or fecal. If you do then get him in with your reptile vet. It may very well have been a sperm plug that he passed and maybe he has not done it in a while so it was a bit pissy coming out.

They have a different body tone when they are healthy. But I do not see anything abnormal.

Personally I would watch his bowel movements. Make sure your not seeing any additional signs of blood in the urate or fecal. If you do then get him in with your reptile vet. It may very well have been a sperm plug that he passed and maybe he has not done it in a while so it was a bit pissy coming out.
That’s what I’m hoping it was. I’m waiting for him to poo again which will probably be tomorrow.

So I’m thinking he is a bit dehydrated and having an issue with his sperm plugs. He had a totally normal poo the other day so I thought this issue was fine. However, just now he had another bowel movement and a sperm plug with a little more blood. It was much less blood than the first time, but his sperm plug still seems large.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpeg
    IMG_0304.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0303.jpeg
    IMG_0303.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 38
I do not. I live in a very humid area so it isn’t really necessary. Typically the humidity is too high during the day. We have been having a ridiculous heat wave lately so maybe that has something to do with it.
That makes sense. Maybe just increase his drinking opportunities then. You are a good cham parent ❤️

So I’m thinking he is a bit dehydrated and having an issue with his sperm plugs. He had a totally normal poo the other day so I thought this issue was fine. However, just now he had another bowel movement and a sperm plug with a little more blood. It was much less blood than the first time, but his sperm plug still seems large.
You are going to want to increase hydration. Make sure there is a dripper going in the cage during the day.

I would look into taking him to the vet at this point.... Sperm plugs in a healthy male come out and they are really thin like paper and no blood at all. They should not be full like this. And the blood concerns me. I would have the vet try to see if there is an issue there. You will need a good reptile vet for this.

You are going to want to increase hydration. Make sure there is a dripper going in the cage during the day.

I would look into taking him to the vet at this point.... Sperm plugs in a healthy male come out and they are really thin like paper and no blood at all. They should not be full like this. And the blood concerns me. I would have the vet try to see if there is an issue there. You will need a good reptile vet for this.
Ok. I already have a dripper going and I’ll call the vet first thing when they open Monday morning

Back
Top Bottom