Black spot under the mouth..

kanjiman

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
i have a 6 week old, female, Veiled Chameleon. i've had her for 2 weeks now
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
about a couple times a week. i don't force her... she willingly crawls on my hand
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
She eats about 5-7 little crickets a day around 6pm every day.. the crickets are fed with carrots
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
i lightly dust the crickets every day with Replenish calcium with no D3.. haven't had a chance to do the D3 yet b/c i haven't got any in yet..
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
i use a mist pro that mists the cage every 3 hours. i have never seen her drink. i only see her run away when it starts and she hangs upside down under some leaves.. kinda odd
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
they look pretty good.. not really sure what to look for here... they're dark and it looks like she's doing it quite consistently...
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
i just recently changed her cage to one of those Reptibreeze cages last week. she sleeps kinda oddly but from what i understand, that happens when you change their location..

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
it's a screen, Reptibreeze cage. dimensions are 36"x24"x24"
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
i'm using a regular house bulb 50 watt i believe.. i wake up and leave for work at 6:30am and turn it on then.. then i turn it off at 6:30pm to get the 12 hour timeframe.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
basking spot is 82 degrees. the furthest point from the light is 75 degrees. lowest night temp i've seen is 65 degrees. i have 2 thermometers in the cage around the basking point and the furthest point from the light.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
my humidity is normally sitting at 60%. lowest i've seen it go is 40%. i have a hibiscus plant in there, a dripper, and mister.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
one hibiscus plant.. i cleaned it before putting it in the cage. baked the soil before repotting it.. have a little towel on top of the soil so she wouldn't be able to get to the soil
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
it's sitting on my dresser in my bedroom. close to a closed window. not a high traffic area. i live alone and don't have many visitors and if i do, we stay in the living room rather than bug Amy ;)
Location - Where are you geographically located?
Seattle, WA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
i came home from work yesterday and was feeding Amy.. when i did, i noticed that there was a black spot under her mouth.. i originally thought it was that she was shedding (she's my first cham and i have no idea what it looks like when it starts).. but since it lasted all night and i even saw it this morning, i was getting concerned... my sister is coming by later tonight so i can take a pic of my set up and Amy to show the black spot.. my camera on my phone currently is broken... that's why i don't have a pic currently... sorry.. any thoughts would be appreciated!

Until we see pics all we can do is guess.

bruise, fungus, sore, dirt.. i mean without a pic.. who knows?

yeah.. thats what i was thinking too... i will definitely get one tonight.. was hoping that we'd possibly have any thoughts on it... sorry.

ok.. really delayed but i got some, not so great b/c they're kinda blurry, pics.. but i hope someone's able to make out what this is..
2012-08-08_174427.jpg

2012-08-08_174419.jpg

2012-08-08_174442.jpg

Are you sure it's not something stuck to her skin? My other thought is maybe she got bit by a feeder and has a bruise.

Camimom's question is good...I didn't pick that up the first time I read through. How is your chameleon getting UVB?

i'll double check when i get home what the lightbulb is... i'm not entirely sure if it is something stuck on her.. if it is, it's been stuck through misting's for the past week... i'm nervous on how to deal with something like that.. i don't want to do something that would freak her out too much or if it's like skin that's stuck, i don't want to pull it off or anything... i'm still seeing about getting better pics

So an update... She ended up shedding last night and the black spot went too! that explains why she hasn't been eating much the past couple days :)

Just read your feeding schedule. If you are turning lights off at 6.30pm she needs to be fed at least 3 hrs before then to allow her to digest her food and she needs her basking light to heat her up enough to do that.

Back
Top Bottom